Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got the finger from a Jeep Driver today, can't understand why.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was cruising along in Autopilot 2.0 left lane on the highway slowly passing traffic in right lane, and noticed a Jeep closing in at ramming speed ( I was doing 75 mph), so turned on signal to get out of the way took control of the car, Jeep fell way behind so stayed in lane until I cleared another car on the right and then noticed Jeep gaining ramming momentum again but was able to successfully merge into right lane. Jeep drive overtook me on the left and then stuck his hand out to thank me for getting out of his way. Or so I thought until, he held up the finger.

I'm old enough to not let road rage bother me so just shrugged it off. But the jeep driver kept his finger out for the next mile and then when he took his exit (long exit where the lane and exit travel side by side for some time) he made the come on follow me gesture and then stuck his whole arm up in the air with of course the extended finger. Kept it up until I finally just lost view.

Perplexed as to what I did? Could it be that brake light on the Tesla turning on every time you ease off the accelerator (Regen mode)? Is it possible that my letting off the accelerator was inferred as me brake checking this fine upstanding gentleman Jeep driver?

• Funny
Reactions: Dan60D
Brake lights don't come on with a light lift. You can see them come on by looking at the toy car model in the dashboard. It takes ~50% decel to activate them.

As for the driver, it's possible you had an earlier altercation that you weren't even aware of, but more likely he's been having a really bad day and some completely trivial thing set him off.

Reactions: Gur814 and JohnnyG
It's probably a mistake to even start wondering why another driver is raging. The possibilities are endless, and road rage is by its nature an illogical reaction to something (or nothing). I would have called the highway patrol and given them his plate number and that would have been the last I thought of the incident.

Was cruising along in Autopilot 2.0 left lane on the highway slowly passing traffic in right lane, and noticed a Jeep closing in at ramming speed ( I was doing 75 mph), so turned on signal to get out of the way took control of the car, Jeep fell way behind so stayed in lane until I cleared another car on the right and then noticed Jeep gaining ramming momentum again but was able to successfully merge into right lane. Jeep drive overtook me on the left and then stuck his hand out to thank me for getting out of his way. Or so I thought until, he held up the finger.

I'm old enough to not let road rage bother me so just shrugged it off. But the jeep driver kept his finger out for the next mile and then when he took his exit (long exit where the lane and exit travel side by side for some time) he made the come on follow me gesture and then stuck his whole arm up in the air with of course the extended finger. Kept it up until I finally just lost view.

Perplexed as to what I did? Could it be that brake light on the Tesla turning on every time you ease off the accelerator (Regen mode)? Is it possible that my letting off the accelerator was inferred as me brake checking this fine upstanding gentleman Jeep driver?
Had a Jeep with similar behavior the other day. Heavy traffic on the Interstate. Traffic moving. I'm in left lane and as I gradually came up on a Jeep in the middle lane, he (always a he) accelerated (with lots of loud engine revving noises) but couldn't go far because of traffic. Happened several times. I guess passing him threatened his manhood. Fortunately, my exit was coming up so I moved to the far right (definitely moving behind him) and left the highway.
There are a lot of insecure jerks in the world. I don't think you did anything wrong. Just stay away from these people. They can get violent.

It's a jeep thing. You wouldn't understand.
This seems appropriate:

its-a-jeep-thing-you-wouldnt-understand1.jpg

He's driving a Jeep. That's all you need to know to explain this. He probably had to floor it for a mile and a half to get up the speed to pass and you got in his way so the jeep couldn't maintain the momentum to pass on a hill. So he was pissed that his POS couldn't pass like a normal car. Simple or he has Coprolalia.
Coprolalia is an occasional characteristic of Tourette syndrome, although it is not required for a diagnosis of Tourette's. ... Cases of deaf Tourette patients swearing in sign language have been described, showing that coprolalia is not just a consequence of the short and sudden sound pattern of many swear words.

Brake lights don't come on with a light lift. You can see them come on by looking at the toy car model in the dashboard. It takes ~50% decel to activate them.

On my facelift 2016 S75, brake lights come on as soon as my foot is off the gas (ha!) pedal. You can see when it comes on by putting up rear camera on screen, it'll show the red reflection of the lights. I personally think that the brake lights do come on way too often, and wished they only did at 50%+ regen.
Maybe a CA vs US thing?

My unscientific observation seems to echo your thoughts, someone with more technical knowhow needs to educate here.
Yes, if you lift all the way up when going at a reasonable speed, the brake lights come on. Need to lift slowly. The car is actually measuring the rate if deceleration to decide on lighting the lights.

There is apparently an international standard for deceleration in meters per second for the lights to come on.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/R13hr2e.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi and _jal_