Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got the update but how does the departure schedule work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the schedule is set to leave at 8am and the hydro rate changes to peak at 7am. What time does the charging stops, 7am or 8am? If it stops at 7am, which source to use to keep the car warm from 7am to 8am, live electricity or battery?

-- Edit, actually just found another thread on the same topic.

Using it the past two days, I've noticed that the charging is set to stop around 15 minutes before your set time. So if you set it at 8am, the charging will be time to stop at 7:45am. The HVAC turns on around 20 minutes before your set departure time.
Per the release notes (and my experience) the charging will stop at or around 06:00 as that, apparently, is when Tesla believes all TOU billing changes.

Mine has stopped at 05:55 the last two mornings (even though I have departure set at 07:30).

HVAC has turned on at 07:10 both mornings.

Per the release notes (and my experience) the charging will stop at or around 06:00 as that, apparently, is when Tesla believes all TOU billing changes.

Mine has stopped at 05:55 the last two mornings (even though I have departure set at 07:30).

HVAC has turned on at 07:10 both mornings.

That makes sense as I leave for work around 5:45am so I'm not affected by that arbitrary 6:00am cut off

Yeah, for me too it stopped the charge at 6am despite asking for 745am departure. Also, at 545 am it had the cabin preconditioning on, the car was parked outside because garage was full of stuff last night, and the inside of the car was 22C at 545am.....charge stopped at 6am, and at 6:10am it was 0C in the car again....so lots of wasted energy to heat up the cabin 2 hours before I wanted to leave.

Seems we can't tell the car that TOU is at a different time to actually have it end when we tell it, so I assume an update will happen.

For reference, I started charging last night with 100 km of range, and asked for 60% charge. It actually did calculate the start time properly even though I've limited my charge rate to 28Amps and not at 32....so at least its doing the math right :D

Reactions: bijan
Yeah, for me too it stopped the charge at 6am despite asking for 745am departure. Also, at 545 am it had the cabin preconditioning on, the car was parked outside because garage was full of stuff last night, and the inside of the car was 22C at 545am.....charge stopped at 6am, and at 6:10am it was 0C in the car again....so lots of wasted energy to heat up the cabin 2 hours before I wanted to leave.

Seems we can't tell the car that TOU is at a different time to actually have it end when we tell it, so I assume an update will happen.

For reference, I started charging last night with 100 km of range, and asked for 60% charge. It actually did calculate the start time properly even though I've limited my charge rate to 28Amps and not at 32....so at least its doing the math right :D
Interesting.

If you read my post above it did fine starting the heat about 20 minutes before I departed at 07:30.

The charging completed at 05:55.

Interesting. Today before 6am the climate didn't go on. But I swear it did the day before. However more than 30 min before my departure at 745 climate was on and had been on for a bit because the car was already at 18C when it is -1C out. Still turning on way too early IMO.

Screenshot_20191114-071354.png

Since the update, here are the 3 days of charging:
upload_2019-11-14_8-46-37.png
upload_2019-11-14_8-46-7.png
upload_2019-11-14_8-45-40.png

and preconditioning:
upload_2019-11-14_8-47-52.png

upload_2019-11-14_8-48-46.png
upload_2019-11-14_8-49-15.png

You can see that the charging completes "shortly" before 06:00 each day, which is fine with me because that warms the battery enough for my 07:30ish departure. I agree that being able to select this time would be beneficial.

The preconditioning started at 07:10 each day (20 minutes before departure) and averaged a whopping 0.15kWh or $0.01. I think starting 20 minutes before departure is fine.

Even if the electricity rate don't go up at 6 AM for you, that's generally when the electricity USAGE starts peaks, wherever you are. Stopping the charging at 5:55 is just being a good citizen, especially when the temperature is extra cold.