TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Got to 0 MTE

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by pjoseph, Dec 6, 2016.

1. pjoseph

pjoseph Member

miles-to-empty.

Been driving the MS for just 5 days and have 507 miles on the odometer.

About 4 miles before we got home today, the charge remaining on the left dash showed 0 miles. The navigate maps screen showed -2% at destination and charging required (in red).

i was sweating bullets and drove at 40 to 50 mph (yep) for those 4 miles (keeping up with traffic) and managed to make it home safely.

So today on a full charge, we got 186 miles (cold weather, traffic and all kinds of variants from the ideal range). This is the base model that is rated at 200 mi EPA, so that is reasonable. Charge at the beginning of day showed 257 miles which is grossly misleading (in the Leaf world we used to call it guess-o-meter (GOM).

So there apparently is a small margin of safety. Anybody know how much?

On a related note, are Superchargers really 150 mi apart? Can a 60 kWH car realistically make it between SCs? The upgrade to 75 is beckoning on my "My Tesla" page, but at $9 K, i am going to wait a bit. The upgrade also means i cannot charge to 100% on a whim and the SC tapers off.

2. Electricfan

Electricfan Active Member

I was wondering about this. I am planning to upgrade (again) and am considering a 60 this time. Can you charge a 60 to 100% every day? Because it actually has 75kwh of battery so you're not "really" charging to 100%? If so, that's awesome.

3. thimel

thimel Member

Sometimes there is a few miles margin of safety. SOMETIMES NOT. DO NOT DEPEND ON IT.

4. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Guess.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Use the TMC search function. This has been extensively discussed many times over the past few years and there is a lot of good information available.

• Informative x 1
  6. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

And the SCs on the main routes such as I-40 are generally between 80 and 150 miles apart. S60s have made frequent cross country trips.

7. Max*

Max* Banned

There is no margin of safety. ZERO. NADA. NOTHING.

What you're seeing is the battery not being calibrated correctly. The car assumes you have 0 rated miles (RM) left, but the batteries still have some juice left, so you got home. Other people have reported driving 20RM below zeros. For others they run out of juice at 0RM a mile from the supercharger. YMMV. Do not depend on it. You got lucky this time, you may get lucky the next 10 times, but on the 11th time you'll be stuck pushing your car uphill in the freezing cold* to get to the supercharger/home/etc.

*Or call Tesla for a complimentary tow

• Like x 1
  8. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

BMS SOE from CAN should tell you how much you will have left below 0 SOC (if any).