Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got to test drive the Taycan Turbo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got to test drive the Taycan Turbo at Porsche Bellevue, WA. Did anyone else got to test drive it?

Its amazing. Did not expect that. It closer to a 911 in driving experience than a panamera. In every way (luxury, sportiness, handling) in sits in between a 911 and panamera.

This is very close to what I want from an EV. I haven't bought any EV till now, but this got close. When I test drove a Tesla Model S and M3P, I liked the acceleration, but the driving experience was not good because tesla did not get the seating, steering, suspension and chassis correct. Porsche got all of them correct, and has better design (especially the interior). But it falls short in terms of range and number of charging stations.

The steering and chassis feedback is much better than Panamera but not as good as the 911. It is a bit difficult to get it to slide compared to my Boxster. And we can feel its weight around corners.

I am still thinking of buying this to be used as a daily and to use it for fun drives, shorter than 200 miles.

Has anyone else test driven the Taycan?

Cool!

Did you note your consumption on the display during your test drive? Just curious about what the real world numbers are. It looks like it can be shown on the right hand gauge based on the YouTube videos available, and is displayed in kWh/100mi.

I test drove for 25 miles and lost 13% battery (from 75% to 62%). But, as expected I was driving extremely hard. No Porsche representative was with me. So, I drove hard.

Reactions: NoirMS
I got to test drive the Taycan Turbo at Porsche Bellevue, WA. Did anyone else got to test drive it?

Its amazing. Did not expect that. It closer to a 911 in driving experience than a panamera. In every way (luxury, sportiness, handling) in sits in between a 911 and panamera.

This is very close to what I want from an EV. I haven't bought any EV till now, but this got close. When I test drove a Tesla Model S and M3P, I liked the acceleration, but the driving experience was not good because tesla did not get the seating, steering, suspension and chassis correct. Porsche got all of them correct, and has better design (especially the interior). But it falls short in terms of range and number of charging stations.

The steering and chassis feedback is much better than Panamera but not as good as the 911. It is a bit difficult to get it to slide compared to my Boxster. And we can feel its weight around corners.

I am still thinking of buying this to be used as a daily and to use it for fun drives, shorter than 200 miles.

Has anyone else test driven the Taycan?

Haven't driven yet, but I hope to soon. I have a long Porsche history, on the road and on the track, and currently have a 911 Targa as well as my Model S (and a Cayenne too, but that still doesn't count much with Porsche purists). I don't doubt that the driving experience will be superb.

That said, especially when you compare true out the door price, the Taycan in even fairly basic trim is going to be much, much more expensive. The Tesla tech, like autopilot is fun to use, even if one claims to have no interest in letting the car drive itself. As you point out, range is going to be subpar, and the charging network is still in it's infancy. I also would not be keen to going back to the buying experience at a traditional dealer. I'll believe true Tesla like OTA updates for the Taycan when I see them, not before. But most Porsches are used for short trips, and it might meet the needs of many people.

The Model 3 Performance is more of a sports car. You know, you could probably buy a Model S Performance AND a Model 3 Performance for no more than a mid-level Taycan. Tempting!

Reactions: Scott7
Haven't driven yet, but I hope to soon. I have a long Porsche history, on the road and on the track, and currently have a 911 Targa as well as my Model S (and a Cayenne too, but that still doesn't count much with Porsche purists). I don't doubt that the driving experience will be superb.

That said, especially when you compare true out the door price, the Taycan in even fairly basic trim is going to be much, much more expensive. The Tesla tech, like autopilot is fun to use, even if one claims to have no interest in letting the car drive itself. As you point out, range is going to be subpar, and the charging network is still in it's infancy. I also would not be keen to going back to the buying experience at a traditional dealer. I'll believe true Tesla like OTA updates for the Taycan when I see them, not before. But most Porsches are used for short trips, and it might meet the needs of many people.

The Model 3 Performance is more of a sports car. You know, you could probably buy a Model S Performance AND a Model 3 Performance for no more than a mid-level Taycan. Tempting!

Yes range and number of charging stations could be an issue. But driving an M3P or any tesla does not have the same experience. Simple things like body roll, steering weight and feedback, seating position all make a big difference.

• Disagree
Reactions: axhoaxho
25 miles and lost 13% battery (from 75% to 62%).

Thanks. Hard to say from that how you did, since I don't know how that battery display works, exactly.

But assuming just linear, and 88kWh available or whatever, that would be 46kWh/100mi on the car display.

And in EPA terms (since it's a 98kWh recharge event, for sure, there...though this does assume no usable reserve below 0%), that would be 51kWh/100mi. So a bit worse than the 49kWh/100mi rating. On target for around 190 miles.

But not bad! Guess we have to keep waiting for actual hard data on real world range. The above is too wishy-washy to be conclusive because we don't have precise data.

Any special options on the car you drove (wheels/tires specifically)?

Sounds like it was a nice drive. Lucky you.

Last edited:
Thanks. Hard to say from that how you did, since I don't know how that battery display works, exactly.

But assuming just linear, and a 88kWh available or whatever, that would be 46kWh/100mi on the car display.

And in EPA terms (since it's a 98kWh recharge event, for sure, there), that would be 51kWh/100mi. So a bit worse than the 49kWh/100mi rating. On target for around 190 miles.

But not bad! Guess we have to keep waiting for actual hard data on real world range. The above is too wishy-washy to be conclusive because we don't have precise data.

Any special options on the car you drove (wheels/tires specifically)?

Sounds like it was a nice drive. Lucky you.

My range is not representative as I launched at least 12 - 15 times during the drive. I was in sports plus mode as well.

It had premium package and LED lights. And I think the tire was goodyear something. Will check and get back.

range is not representative as I launched at least 12 - 15 times during the drive

Of course. However, especially with an 800V system, it's less about the launching and more about how you stop. Launching of course adds some extra loss but it's not THAT much - especially at 800V.

It is going to be interesting to see how these numbers all reconcile. As I said, your numbers above are really hard to conclude anything about since we don't know what that % gauge means. Really the consumption meter would likely be a better gauge (if it reads close to accurately).

Regardless, this is not what your thread was supposed to be about...so I'm done hijacking it. Hope some other people get a chance to drive it and give their impressions! And let us know about their efficiency too, of course. ;)

Of course. However, especially with an 800V system, it's less about the launching and more about how you stop. Launching of course adds some extra loss but it's not THAT much - especially at 800V.

It is going to be interesting to see how these numbers all reconcile. As I said, your numbers above are really hard to conclude anything about since we don't know what that % gauge means. Really the consumption meter would likely be a better gauge (if it reads close to accurately).

Regardless, this is not what your thread was supposed to be about...so I'm done hijacking it. Hope some other people get a chance to drive it and give their impressions! And let us know about their efficiency too, of course. ;)
Someone over at rennlist saw this after his test drive.
Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

tay_ran.JPG

Also see couple of posts by Nicole. She posted power consumption study done by a German magazine.
I am afraid to copy paste from another forum.

• Disagree
Reactions: walla2 and noicepls
I know the plaid will be faster. But I don't think they would have improved the driving experience as Tesla is not interested in it. They are focusing more on autonomous driving.

If the Model S Plaid prototype could run ' Ring in 7:13 ' as mentioned at the above Road & Track link, the driving experience shouldn't be too shabby.

Last edited: