Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got to test drive the Taycan Turbo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know from other Tesla cars that driving experience is not a priority for Tesla.

Seems you were not following the development of the upcoming 'Model S Plaid.' There are much information on the web, please search it.

Tesla-Model-S-P100DPlaid-Nurburgring-18-e1571214177807-1024x527.jpg

We do know one thing: "Never Bet Against Elon Musk." :)

Yes, but what you don't know is even more consequential: never bet against Porsche. They have proven it often enough, to the detriment of their rivals! Elon is just one person, not the company that Porsche is. He has done well in the absence of competition so far, but that is changing quickly now. And although I would never bet against Elon, the company is still very young and has a rocky road ahead in the form of many formidable political obstacles and deep-pocketed cash-rich established opponents who are slowly but surely bringing their gunsights around to bear on rivals old and new. Being a Model 3 owner myself, I sincerely want Elon and Tesla to do well too, but that does not mean ignoring the rest of the world's best.

I know about it's much improved performance. But, I was talking about driving experience. They are not the same.

I am a P-car owner too. I have had numerous P-cars, including the Panamera Hybrid and 997.2 GT3.

I also have a 2019 Model S Raven LR with the 'Adaptive Suspension' and 21-inch wheels, which I enjoy 'driving' it very much even comparing to my P-cars.

voJiPLl.jpg

3RmwQbq.jpg

I am a P-car owner too. I have had numerous P-cars, including the Panamera Hybrid and 997.2 GT3.

I also have a 2019 Model S Raven LR with the 'Adaptive Suspension' and 21-inch wheels, which I enjoy 'driving' it very much even comparing to my P-cars.

voJiPLl.jpg

3RmwQbq.jpg

I think that's because you don't like ICE. Not because you like tesla's chassis and steering system. With a Porsche EV, we get the good torque of an EV and the best steering, chassis and suspension system from Porsche. That is hard to beat.

I don't always like ICE engines. But I like Porsche's driving characteristic much more than Tesla. Porsche EV is the best of both.

I think that's because you don't like ICE. Not because you like tesla's chassis and steering system. With a Porsche EV, we get the good torque of an EV and the best steering, chassis and suspension system from Porsche. That is hard to beat.

I don't always like ICE engines. But I like Porsche's driving characteristic much more than Tesla. Porsche EV is the best of both.

You are wrong assuming me don't like ICE. My current truck has a 5.7L V8 with cat-back exhaust, which I love.

Yes, the Taycan is hard to beat, except the range.

Reactions: gowthamn
At 37 mph
I think that's just distance by total time. If he started from dealership and waited at red lights, his actual speed while moving was higher. He said it was 60% hwy driving at 70mph-90 mph.

If the Model S Plaid prototype could run ' Ring in 7:13 ' as mentioned at the above Road & Track link, the driving experience shouldn't be too shabby.
Is this official? Or is it the total of the best times in each segment added up? That is what I heard from Matt Farah in some video.

So when you get it you'll let me trade you my P3D+ for a weekend right?

I gotta convince these Tesla Fanboi's that the 201 mile range estimate of the Taycan is way more conservative than the range estimate that Tesla gives. :)

So in actual freeway driving at speeds of 70+ it won't be all that different. Sure the P3D+ will go further, but not 100 miles further.

I did have the Taycan reserved at the Bellevue Dealership, but the cost of the Taycan swelled way above what I was willing to pay. So it's going to be awhile before I get a Porsche EV.

My next EV is probably going to be a Rivian. I'm getting kinda bored of EV passenger vehicles so I'm looking at getting an EV SUV.

Reactions: gowthamn
So, I'm a guy who sold his 2018 Porsche GT3 PDK and went to M3P and its the best decision i ever made. Heres some info to chew on:

-I used to absolutely rail my gt3 through all the canyons in the malibu hills and once you put the M3 in Sport Mode, I'm 99% sure i was driving faster speeds in the canyons vs my gt3. Now, we are comparing 2wd vs awd, so theres that, because real wheel driving in my gt3 was a serious blast, mix the sound and engine vibrations at 8k rpms, cant beat that, but at the same time, cops heard me coming a mile away, but in my M3P, it was in stealth mode, only could hear my tire screeching around the corners.

I have had 3 911s, and ya, they are seriously more fun factor, but i still say the m3p in sport mode is beyond crazy fast and just as good as a porsche, also depends on how good the driver is. But and i cant ever see buying this porsche taycan, just a waste of money, really nothing special to gain.

And, how many people out there really can push the limits of a car? I've been racing at willow and took first place, so im above your average sports car driver, but not a pro either. So, my suggestion is to buy m3p, and with the extra $75k, buy a true track car, like 911gts and have best of both worlds. Again, with your taycan, how much and how often can you really push the limits of that car???

I do miss the sounds!!! Hence why I'll probably buy track car that i can legally drive as fast as i want.

We know from other Tesla cars that driving experience is not a priority for Tesla.

Obviously driving experience is highly, highly subjective however I think this statement is objectively wrong. A M3P is more than a straight line bullet, as described by other P-car owners above as well as endless automotive industry reviews.

Clearly
they do care about driving experience. Maybe not as much as Porsche does with their spare no expense mentality, but that’s very different than saying “is not a priority”. I’d say they care very much about driving experience, within reason.

Are you absolutely sure you didn’t test drive a Toyota instead of a P3? :p

Last edited:
So, I'm a guy who sold his 2018 Porsche GT3 PDK and went to M3P and its the best decision i ever made. Heres some info to chew on:

-I used to absolutely rail my gt3 through all the canyons in the malibu hills and once you put the M3 in Sport Mode, I'm 99% sure i was driving faster speeds in the canyons vs my gt3. Now, we are comparing 2wd vs awd, so theres that, because real wheel driving in my gt3 was a serious blast, mix the sound and engine vibrations at 8k rpms, cant beat that, but at the same time, cops heard me coming a mile away, but in my M3P, it was in stealth mode, only could hear my tire screeching around the corners.

I have had 3 911s, and ya, they are seriously more fun factor, but i still say the m3p in sport mode is beyond crazy fast and just as good as a porsche, also depends on how good the driver is. But and i cant ever see buying this porsche taycan, just a waste of money, really nothing special to gain.

And, how many people out there really can push the limits of a car? I've been racing at willow and took first place, so im above your average sports car driver, but not a pro either. So, my suggestion is to buy m3p, and with the extra $75k, buy a true track car, like 911gts and have best of both worlds. Again, with your taycan, how much and how often can you really push the limits of that car???

I do miss the sounds!!! Hence why I'll probably buy track car that i can legally drive as fast as i want.

I agree that M3P is a awesome value for money. But, if you want the best driving experience irrespective of cost, it is the Taycan. Taycan will be my daily and fun car in the twists. GT3 RS will be my track car.

And Porsche's first attempt at the EV has been MUCH better than tesla's first attempt at their EV. So, hopefully in the 2nd iteration the range issue is fixed.

Last edited:

In the real world people are getting better range than the EPA numbers. But for most cars, people get lesser range than the EPA numbers. This is wired.

Anyway I don't care about efficiency for my use case. When has Porsche buyers cared about milage?

Also Porsche has more systems like adaptive 3 chamber suspension and dynamic chassis control to improve driving experience but they consume power.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: axhoaxho