Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got to test drive the Taycan Turbo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also Porsche has more systems like adaptive 3 chamber suspension and dynamic chassis control to improve driving experience but they consume power.
Have you driven a Raven yet? Not that it would be as good as the Taycan, just curious what you thought. The Taycan would totally meet my day to day needs, and I would definitely consider it if money was no object.

Last edited:
Reactions: gowthamn
It is just sad to see the Taycan fanboys fighting tooth-and-nail to defense its poor numbers.

I'm far from a Taycan fanboy, but I've been defending the range numbers. Why would I defend the range numbers while also mocking the Taycan for its very Porsche like ridiculous options?

Mostly because of misconceptions on what the EPA numbers mean.

The first assumption is that the EPA range is the maximum range the Taycan can travel. and that's false. How do we know its false? Because the early reviews have shown it going 200 miles while still having 25% still left on the battery.

The other assumption people make is that the Tesla EPA range is exactly what the Tesla will get. Anyone that's driven a Tesla during the cold winter months knows this is completely false. They assume a Taycan will suffer the same fate, but it doesn't due to how they do the battery management where they allow more regeneration during cold weather.

There is also a major difference in the tires used. Not that one would ever want to use more efficiency orientated tires on the Taycan because it would defeat the entire purpose of the vehicle.

Now none of these is to say that a Taycan can get anywhere close in real world range as the Raven Refresh Model 3, but it's not as bad as the 200 miles sounds.

From the early reviews I would expect a real world freeway range of around 250 miles at freeway speeds which likely meets or exceeds my P3D with 20 inch tires. So not that great, but not terrible either.

If you enjoy the Taycan and can afford it, get it. It's probably the best product Porsche sells and despite worse price/performance ratio, it's still a better deal compared to their ICE offerings.

But don't post stuff like the S being "not a drivers car". You are getting into blind fanboy territory. Enjoy the Taycan more than an S, nobody can argue against that. Who's to tell you what to enjoy. Don't bring up subjective or esoteric qualities to try to lessen other options just to defend your choice. Enjoy your choice, but be real.

If you enjoy the Taycan and can afford it, get it. It's probably the best product Porsche sells and despite worse price/performance ratio, it's still a better deal compared to their ICE offerings.

But don't post stuff like the S being "not a drivers car". You are getting into blind fanboy territory. Enjoy the Taycan more than an S, nobody can argue against that. Who's to tell you what to enjoy. Don't bring up subjective or esoteric qualities to try to lessen other options just to defend your choice. Enjoy your choice, but be real.

I created this thread to discuss about my test drive and other who have test driven the Taycan. Yet, many tesla fanboys who have not driven the Taycan have made posts here.

Plus the Model 3 has track mode, and the plaid version of the Model S is most definitely going to have it.

Now I don't have any issues with an argument that says the Taycan is more driver focused. Obviously it is because of the way the cockpit is arranged, and that Tesla doesn't have certain driver focused stuff. As example the blindspot monitoring indicator isn't where it belongs, and there are other stuff that would be more ideally situated for a driver.

For a very driver focused experience one really wants a Taycan. If one can afford one that is.

But, that has nothing to do with Smart Summon, Adaptive Cruise control, or anything else. Those are just driver aids for when you want to use them. Some of them Porsche offers as expensive options.

Of course if when you try to order adaptive cruise control at the dealer they look at you like you've gone nuts. But, my experience with this was many years ago.

Plus the Model 3 has track mode, and the plaid version of the Model S is most definitely going to have it.

Now I don't have any issues with an argument that says the Taycan is more driver focused. Obviously it is because of the way the cockpit is arranged, and that Tesla doesn't have certain driver focused stuff. As example the blindspot monitoring indicator isn't where it belongs, and there are other stuff that would be more ideally situated for a driver.

For a very driver focused experience one really wants a Taycan.

But, that has nothing to do with Smart Summon, Adaptive Cruise control, or anything else. Those are just driver aids for when you want to use them. Some of them Porsche offers as expensive options.

Of course if when you try to order adaptive cruise control at the dealer they look at you like you've gone nuts. But, my experience with this was many years ago.

I deleted the post about that comment.

Yes, when I tried to order Adaptive Cruise Control for by Boxster because my wife may drive sometimes, the dealer thought we were mad!

My Tesla drives itself to me. :)

If I really wanted to convince some rich person to buy a Taycan instead of a Tesla I'd put them into my Tesla, and I'd give them a Smart Summon ride experience.

They'd run to the Porsche dealer after that experience.

If you haven't ridden in a Tesla during the Smart Summon you should definitely try it. Make sure to go to the bathroom before doing it though.

I would love to see the Taycan in the flesh; we need more on the roads.

Agreed.

Tesla fans really should be all for the Taycan for a bunch of different reasons.

The primary one is Tesla's biggest problem is the lack of competition. If they had more competition they'd be more aggressive in fixing some of the issues especially in service/sales that plague them. They are addressing some issues like with service they're opening up more service centers.

The second one is lots of people like doing comparison shopping. It's a little hard to do comparison shopping with so few viable EV's on the market.

Lastly lots of people need to be comfortable with the idea of owning some new fangled thing. The best way to do that is growing the market share of EV's. So that they're friends have one or friends of friends. It can't just be one EV like the Model 3 because then not everyone wants the same thing.

The upcoming Tesla Model S refresh is going to be an absolute beast, and part of that reason is directly contributed to the Taycan.

I haven't seen any other car spur so much response from Elon, the media and even in this forum.

Now there is one thing I absolutely hate about the Taycan that's related to all this. I am absolutely convinced that lots of people will check out the Taycan, but they'll go "this is so cool, but I just can't afford it" and they'll start to look for what they can afford. What will they find? The Tesla P3D which is the same car I have. ARGGH!!! I'll have to get some after market facelift to make mine look different.

I created this thread to discuss about my test drive and other who have test driven the Taycan. Yet, many tesla fanboys who have not driven the Taycan have made posts here.

You are on a Tesla forum. You're bound to get some reactions. And from what I can tell, you got mostly congratulations.

Can we agree that the Taycan may just be more fun to drive for you, and not try to attempt to go down to things like "X is a driver's car while Y is not a driver's car"? What kind of statement is that? It's like when Jaguar marketing hyperventilated about how they brought "soul" into an EV for the first time, because there's faux engine noises coming out of the speakers.

The moment you claim that X is better than Y because [subjective metric], you are leaving the realm of reasonable discussion, and veering into fanboy territory.

But did you notice something? People here aren't saying that the Taycan is crap or anything like that, quite the opposite. Post on a german Porsche forum about a Tesla test drive and see if you get the same measured response.

I liked the acceleration, but the driving experience was not good because tesla did not get the seating, steering, suspension and chassis correct.?

Come on, Porsche have been making some of the best cars on the road for decades, so comparing Tesla to Porsche in these categories is kind of silly, but even so, some of what you say above is objectively untrue. Tesla wasn't trying to make a 911, the chassis of the Model 3 is actually really good compared with other sedans (Porsche doesn't make a sedan). I agree about the seat, it's pretty rough, and the steering could have more life but it's better than many modern sedans, and the suspension I actually think is very good on the P.

I see you're a huge Porsche fan from your posts and sig, I hope you get their EV and have a great experience with it. Comparing a Model S or 3 with any Porsche though seems pointless to me.

Oh and for me personally, the 718 (Cayman) is Porsche's best car (2015 S) in terms of value and drive-ability. Flame away! :D

Come on, Porsche have been making some of the best cars on the road for decades, so comparing Tesla to Porsche in these categories is kind of silly, but even so, some of what you say above is objectively untrue. Tesla wasn't trying to make a 911, the chassis of the Model 3 is actually really good compared with other sedans (Porsche doesn't make a sedan). I agree about the seat, it's pretty rough, and the steering could have more life but it's better than many modern sedans, and the suspension I actually think is very good on the P.

I see you're a huge Porsche fan from your posts and sig, I hope you get their EV and have a great experience with it. Comparing a Model S or 3 with any Porsche though seems pointless to me.

Oh and for me personally, the 718 (Cayman) is Porsche's best car (2015 S) in terms of value and drive-ability. Flame away! :D

lol, if you really want to start it, claim to like the 914 .....