TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Got V10!!! but no Theater Mode :-(

Discussion in 'Model S' started by n1kola, Sep 29, 2019.

1. n1kola

n1kola New Member

I checked under entertainment, but all I have is arcade, no theater mode. Everything else in the release notes appears to be there. Not sure why I don't have theater mode. Any other Model S's out there with V10 in the same predicament?

I have a 2017 90D

2. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

Because you have MCU1. Tesla doesn't support MCU1 with the new features. No video, no new games.

• Like x 1
  3. jayman

jayman Member

You are probably an unfortunate MCU1 owner like me. I’m not sure but I think all cars before sept of 2017 have mcu1. No theater mode for us...

• Like x 3
  4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Someone needs to sell an MCU upgrade. It can’t be that hard

• Like x 2
  5. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

It's actually worse than that. All S and X before March 2018 have MCU1. All Model 3's have MCU2

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  6. Need

Need Active Member

Someone on another thread posted his MCU1 dec2017 Model X somehow got netflix.

• Informative x 1
  7. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

I will pay for an upgrade MCU2 upgrade on our 2017 MS and MX. Its ridiculous to have to buy new cars to get those new features,

• Like x 3
  8. Need

Need Active Member

BTW, I updated both my MCU 1 Model X and MCU 2 Model 3 today and MCU 1 took 15 more minutes to update than MCU 2. I think MCU 2 is a LOT faster than MCU 1.

• Like x 1
  9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I could handle a do it yourself kit, I've already had the dash and doors apart for other stuff, this car is pretty simple to work on. I also installed a new amp which was a pain, cause it is buried under the dash by your left knee in a rack... that's hard to get through....

10. Kenz

Kenz Member

Technology continues to change every year.

Your 3 year old iPhone or Android can not do everything the new ones with new hardware can even with updated software.

Tesla makes the software better with releases but the hardware is still what came with the car originally.

Folks that have AP1 or earlier cars with no auto pilot hardware know the feeling.

If you want the latest and greatest you upgrade but realize that something newer and better will come out after you buy.

Enjoy what you have and when ready for an upgrade go for it.

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 5
    • Funny x 1
  11. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

LOL, yea right. Link to this post?

• Helpful x 1
  12. Need

Need Active Member

New Sofrware 2019.32.11

He is located in Europe though. Maybe Tesla has a special deal with Netflix to enable that so more Europeans would sign up for a netflix account LOL.

13. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

LOL, he's trolling. He just went to netflix.com on his browser which was probably working at the time.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. Jamesus

Jamesus Member

Do you have spotify?

15. buzescu

buzescu Member

Not sure it helps... I have MCU2 but I have not seen Entertainment before I shut the car down. I remember reading somewhere that you may have to do an actual shut down. All in after that.

16. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

This thread I just started about what's missing in V10 for MCU1 cars is perhaps of interest.

17. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Hilarious how quickly something becomes a human right. You didn't buy the car with that feature but now it's ridiculous that you don't have it?

• Like x 6
    • Love x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  18. cybergates

cybergates Member

yep MCU 1 Model S here in the same club.

our Model 3 has it all - but even still I am surprised how there's a slight perceptible lag on Netflix UI (and a little motion blur on heavy action sequences like you might see on a LCD with 60Hz refresh rate) - so my thinking is even for MCU 2 this is a bit of a struggle. Esp hulu - its UI is just a little sluggish like you might see on a iPhone 5/6 - it works fine but I think we're at the limit. But I think this is partially software related, and perhaps code needs to be further optimized or apps re-written to take advantage of the HW directly. I don't know if anyone will seriously put that effort into it but perhaps if us MCU1 folks make enough noise they will pay attention. It could be the situation like my original iPad Air 1 that worked fine the first few years but apple has added so many more "features" and bloat that the original iPad Air is almost unusable now (and they dropped support with iOS 13) So you're forced to upgrade if you want all the latest features. I guess that's just how it is - doesn't seem right esp those who missed it i.e the early 2018 folks by just a few months.

The browser is the perfect example - it was somewhat usable when we first got the car and I could show it off to friends, now it plain doesn't work.

19. cybergates

cybergates Member

i guess this is really the point - we didn't have these features when we bought the car and GM or Toyota wouldn't have promised to bring u netflix in the future etc.

On the other hand I think many of us would be willing to $$ for an upgrade to the MCU

• Like x 2
  20. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

No.. Its ridiculous to take a $60K bath to replace the cars.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2