Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got VIN and Model Y delivery price increased by $4000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered Model Y in Red/White in July 2021 and put down $100 deposit. Was told originally supposed to be delivered in 6-8 weeks. Never happened and in Oct 25 2021 I called and asked if they could change color to White/Black to save me $3000. I specifically told them "Save me $3000 by changing color to stock white/black from red/white". I got email later on Oct 27, 2021 showing price was $1000 MORE (not $3000 less) and it was White/Black.

I immediately emailed them the same day (have email proof) and told them this is an error and also called them. I was told at first they would take care of it and rep should have told me price increase.

Again my whole goal of changing color was to save money.

I've been complaining by phone and each time reps say it will go to a manager to fix it don't worry. Well 2 months later I get a response saying they can't do anything to revert price/color but can give me $250 back (remember I only paid $100) or get $500 merchandise credit.

$500 is a lot less than $4000!

Went to the Tesla store and guy told me to go talk to the other manager which I'm going to go tomorrow but said it happens all the time. Apparently he said rep didn't know about price increase, sent an email and then price went up during the processing time and they stuck me with new price without disclosing it and they still said tough luck.

Anyone else out there get a better deal than $500?

Changing anything in your order updates to current prices at the time (Oct had numerous price increases). Just because silver was free doesn’t mean your order would be less (in fact by the 25th it would have cost you more to change to silver because of 3 price increases).

I’d argue to revert back to your old red/white order if possible with the old price.

I struggled with the Tesla sales approach as well. I put an order for MY in November 2021 after visiting and speaking to the SA. During multiple visits prior to placing an order, the SA told me multiple times that I can update the config at any time. I was supposed to be price "locked in" after I placed an order. After the price increase in late November, I called in the update my config by adding a tow. Spoke to the SA and with any changes, comes current pricing. It was really an WTF moment. Net net, nothing they would've done to accommodate til this day.

Reactions: Gutta420
I struggled with the Tesla sales approach as well. I put an order for MY in November 2021 after visiting and speaking to the SA. During multiple visits prior to placing an order, the SA told me multiple times that I can update the config at any time. I was supposed to be price "locked in" after I placed an order. After the price increase in late November, I called in the update my config by adding a tow. Spoke to the SA and with any changes, comes current pricing. It was really an WTF moment. Net net, nothing they would've done to accommodate til this day.

Tow can be installed after but costs $1300+ instead of $1000 from factory.

After you place an order, you generally have ~3 days to make changes before it becomes final. After that, they cannot “update” your order, they have to cancel it and create an entire new order which would reflect any current prices.

Reactions: preilly44
My point is the rep told me that there was no problem and even he didn’t know of the price increase. as soon as i got the confirmation email i complained the same day and they just said too bad. again i tried to revert it again the just said too bad. if they told me at time of change or given me the new contract to confirm i would have no beef. they did not disclose it and when i got the email it was too late even though i complained same day to revert it

I ordered Model Y in Red/White in July 2021 and put down $100 deposit. Was told originally supposed to be delivered in 6-8 weeks. Never happened and in Oct 25 2021 I called and asked if they could change color to White/Black to save me $3000. I specifically told them "Save me $3000 by changing color to stock white/black from red/white". I got email later on Oct 27, 2021 showing price was $1000 MORE (not $3000 less) and it was White/Black.

I immediately emailed them the same day (have email proof) and told them this is an error and also called them. I was told at first they would take care of it and rep should have told me price increase.

Again my whole goal of changing color was to save money.

I've been complaining by phone and each time reps say it will go to a manager to fix it don't worry. Well 2 months later I get a response saying they can't do anything to revert price/color but can give me $250 back (remember I only paid $100) or get $500 merchandise credit.

$500 is a lot less than $4000!

Went to the Tesla store and guy told me to go talk to the other manager which I'm going to go tomorrow but said it happens all the time. Apparently he said rep didn't know about price increase, sent an email and then price went up during the processing time and they stuck me with new price without disclosing it and they still said tough luck.

Anyone else out there get a better deal than $500?
You got Tesla’d

Happens all the time. They are more dishonest than any traditional auto dealer and you ultimately have no recourse.

My point is the rep told me that there was no problem and even he didn’t know of the price increase. as soon as i got the confirmation email i complained the same day and they just said too bad. again i tried to revert it again the just said too bad. if they told me at time of change or given me the new contract to confirm i would have no beef. they did not disclose it and when i got the email it was too late even though i complained same day to revert it
So sorry to hear that. Tesla is definitely not a warm and fuzzy, bend over backwards for the customer company. And in your case, a bit unfair. Whenever I thought about making a change I was notified about the price resetting. Your SA is really the one that messed you up here! (I knew they were cold when they wouldn't let me add on a referral code a few hours after ordering online, I didn't see the spot to put it and when I called they said too bad your order is in, I almost cancelled my order then and there as I was quite surprised how the SA at local center I called did nothing to help, was kind of snarky in fact.) So sorry for you, I doubt there is much you can do...

So sorry to hear that. Tesla is definitely not a warm and fuzzy, bend over backwards for the customer company. And in your case, a bit unfair. Whenever I thought about making a change I was notified about the price resetting. Your SA is really the one that messed you up here! (I knew they were cold when they wouldn't let me add on a referral code a few hours after ordering online, I didn't see the spot to put it and when I called they said too bad your order is in, I almost cancelled my order then and there as I was quite surprised how the SA at local center I called did nothing to help, was kind of snarky in fact.) So sorry for you, I doubt there is much you can do...
Intresting. Guess it was a good thing I ordered while in the SC. I had no clue about the referral code until my SA asked me about it. Then texted my brother to get his code.

Isn’t there a fine print where it mentions price being updated if you change your order? The SA was misinformed. Sending an email with a reply confirming no price change might not even work.

Legacy dealer models are notoriously dishonest. The games they play. But the legacy auto makers can only do so much when you encounter any sort of terrible dealer experience. That’s not to say the auto makers themselves are honest. Far from it. Same applies to Tesla. It’s all about the money.

Is Tesla selling too many cars now and just lack the capacity to provide the sort of service we all expect, regardless of how much we paid for our cars? With anything we purchase, it’s absolutely normal to expect some sort of acceptable level of customer service.

Legacy dealer models are notoriously dishonest. The games they play. But the legacy auto makers can only do so much when you encounter any sort of terrible dealer experience.
This is absolutely false. It’s Tesla who is being dishonest here.

There are plenty of avenues for recourse at a traditional dealership. Tesla is a black hole of customer service and satisfaction.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan and RyMY

There are plenty of avenues for recourse at a traditional dealership. Tesla is a black hole of customer service and satisfaction.

Ford is the same with the Mach-E. If I edit my build config now it will update to current prices (Ford raised Premium ERs by $2K and GTPE by $3K in December). I don't think you can magically revert back in that system either (I haven't tried).

Tesla's website will show you the updated price before you confirm your changes.

The problem is... Tesla customer service is poorly trained or doesn't care and they can't seem to handle exceptions. Tesla is a robotic with their rules.

Reactions: RyMY
My point is the rep told me that there was no problem and even he didn’t know of the price increase.

Tesla spells out in black and white that changes to the config may change the delivery date and price. I don't think Tesla is particularly clear that a config change means the old order is canceled and a new order is placed, at current pricing.

But it makes sense that it would be so. If Tesla reduces prices then people cancel and reorder at today's prices. Tesla is saying this game works the same both ways, regardless whether the current price is higher or lower.

Just my luck to encounter glide again. The master down-voter.

Maybe try reading what I wrote. I never said Tesla is honest.

Here:

“Legacy dealer models are notoriously dishonest. The games they play. But the legacy auto makers can only do so much when you encounter any sort of terrible dealer experience. That’s not to say the auto makers themselves are honest. Far from it. Same applies to Tesla. It’s all about the money.”

Funny how you left that part out from the quote.

Look up the Mach E. You’ll see how honest dealers really are.

so you July 2021 order has not been delivered yet???

SA's lack of knowledge is a common knowldge here in the forum😂. I don't want trust them anymore but they are the only point of contact

I guess they refuse that because they don't want set precedent?

Reactions: advocate8
Just my luck to encounter glide again. The master down-voter.

Maybe try reading what I wrote. I never said Tesla is honest.

Here:

“Legacy dealer models are notoriously dishonest. The games they play. But the legacy auto makers can only do so much when you encounter any sort of terrible dealer experience. That’s not to say the auto makers themselves are honest. Far from it. Same applies to Tesla. It’s all about the money.”

Funny how you left that part out from the quote.
Funny how you lead with that. Tesla is just as, if not more, sleazy. And I’ll repeat it for the 3rd time, when there is an issue like this at a legacy dealer, you can always talk to a human and sort it out.

After you place an order, you generally have ~3 days to make changes before it becomes final. After that, they cannot “update” your order, they have to cancel it and create an entire new order which would reflect any current prices.
Tesla spells out in black and white that changes to the config may change the delivery date and price. I don't think Tesla is particularly clear that a config change means the old order is canceled and a new order is placed, at current pricing.

But it makes sense that it would be so. If Tesla reduces prices then people cancel and reorder at today's prices. Tesla is saying this game works the same both ways, regardless whether the current price is higher or lower.
this is not the issue. The contract clearly states price may change if you add options - do i expect to get a color change for free? the request was not change my

this is not the issue. The contract clearly states price may change if you add options - do i expect to get a color change for free? the request was not change my

Unfortunately that is not true.. A color change is a change..

Read your MVOA (Motor Vehicle Order Agreement)

If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

Jays2Cents
Unfortunately that is not true.. A color change is a change..

Read your MVOA (Motor Vehicle Order Agreement)

If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.
Unfortunately i agree with this, you ended up changing your order after the price change and were affected by it.
The best advice anyone can give is just ask if you can go back to the Old Order and they might be able to Bring the price back.
You got Tesla’d

Happens all the time. They are more dishonest than any traditional auto dealer and you ultimately have no recourse.
As for this, I agree Tesla has *sugar* Customer Service, but ive also heard something similar get resovled

Someone (in Canada) recently added FSD to their cars, and they had ordered the car before the prices changes. He explained to them that if adding FSD changes the base price of the car, then he did NOT want to add FSD. The SA still ended up changing the order and the base price increased by $4000 of the car. But he just called them, they apologized for the panic and removed FSD, and put the base price of the car back.
There is always bad and good side of customer service.

At the end of day,
They should have told you the base price of the car would change if you wanted to change the color of the car ( good customer service)
But you "SHOULD" have also known that according to the MVOA : If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date