TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gotta love our crumbling infrastructure.. Hit a pothole at freeway speed

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by SeminoleFSU, Jul 23, 2016.

1. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Hi folks,
    I'm trying to determine next course of action. I hit a really bad hole on the way home tonight doing about 70-80MPH. After I hit it I was shocked my alignment wasn't off and the tire still had pressure. However, now I'm getting a subtle vibration that starts above 70 and gets louder above 80, almost like I'm driving on an uneven road surface, much like what it feels like when they are re-paving a strip of pavement. This sound started immediately after impact with the hole on the freeway... How can I best diagnose whether this is a wheel balancing issue or actual warping/bending of the wheel itself? Any telltale signs? I just got brand new tires last week, so I was thinking of bringing it back to Discount Tire and have them examine my two left wheels by performing a balancing on them? Any advice?

Thanks!

2. linkster

linkster Member

I would seek out a competent wheel/tire shop that can check your alignment, but more importantly have them remove the (2) tires from the wheels and check the runout with a dial indicator gauge on the outer and inner rim bead surfaces. If it is more than .020"isch "out", I would consider having the wheel repaired.

Sorry for your misfortune and good-luck!

• Helpful x 1
  3. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Sorry to hear this. It really sounds like you have a bent wheel. :eek:
    Bring it to Discount Tire and have them rebalance the wheel and check the run out.

• Like x 1
  4. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

That's what I figured. Thanks for the quick replies guys!

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Bent wheel or bent axle if you still feel the vibration and the wheels are balanced.

6. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

so it was definitely a bent rim/wheel... actually both on the left got bent a little but one much more so than the other... at this point I think if I replaced the worse of the two it would probably feel like normal again... now to find someone willing to part with one silver 21" turbine wheel somewhere close by :)

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

8. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

Have you checked your auto insurance coverage? A year ago I had a similar hit and bent both wheels on my right side. Insurance replaced both wheels and both tires.

• Helpful x 1
  9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

did your rates go up for making the claim?

• Like x 1
  10. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

I didn't think of that.... Thanks Lawsteve! I'll give them a shout. PS. Love the avatar! Is it football season yet??

11. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

A local shop repaired one of my bent 19" Tesla OEM rims for under $100.

12. Boourns

Boourns Member

You may also want to investigate whether you could make a claim with the city/state for the damage. Some municipalities offer reimbursement in cases like this. It's probably a long shot, but it might be worth a try before making an insurance claim.

• Like x 1
  13. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

I am going to try and inquire about that... planning to take a picture of the spot today on the way home from work before I engage them

14. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

Don't replace the wheel because it's a little out of true. Find a local wheel shop to repair it. It's amazing how wheels can be straightened out. If you can't find wheel straightening, look around for a motorcycle frame straightening. They can often do the same work.

• Helpful x 1
  15. linkster

linkster Member

• Helpful x 1
  16. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Thanks Linkster!! I called and they say $167/wheel. That's a little more than I expected but would be cheaper than buying new or re-manufactured wheels. I'm going to investigate this first.

17. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

#17 CUBldr97, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    tesla just told me all four of my wheels are bent, and in more than one place on two of them.... my rims are the 19inch rims! ugh cheap wheels!

they want $1600 to replace