Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goulburn to Sydney advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

We're heading up to Sydney next week and I'm looking for some advice from those knowledgeable about the routes from Goulburn to Sydney. My current plan is to head off the Hume at Goulburn and drive over to the coast, then up to Sydney by the coast road through Wollongong. No particular reason other than nicer scenery since we're in no hurry. However I'm wondering about just how 'bad' the Macquarie Pass is? It looks very pretty, but I've come across a few articles about the accident rates, wannabes trying to use it as a racetrack, trucks on the single lane sections just about running people off the road on blind bends etc etc.

It all sounds a bit overblown, but is it really that bad? This is supposed to be a relaxing road trip so don't want to end up regretting taking an inappropriate route. Since I'll have wife and young daughter on board there's also no possibility of any spirited driving on my part, so am I likely to end up being a pain to the other traffic by cruising through there at non-vomit-inducing speeds (quite slow in my wife's case on windy roads :) )?

Hardly a life or death decision but interested in the perspectives of anyone who has traveled the Pass a bit, thanks!

I wouldn't be concerned, I've taken that scenic route a few times as an alternative way back to the mountains and apart from the occasional monkey that insists on speeding like their life depends on it I've not had any issues.

Majority of drivers on any road want to arrive at their destination and usually drive to the conditions. There's a bit of nice greenery through there but nothing spectacular to my mind. Perhaps the 747 at the bottom of the hill will be more interesting?

I sometimes take the road through Robertson and down the Macquarie Pass.
It's an interesting drive and the road is in reasonable condition then turn left up the Princess Hwy (M1) but turn off onto Memorial Drive (B65) coast road to go through Thirroul, Austinmer and Scarborough to go over the Sea Cliff Bridge then through the National Park. Just watch the many speed cameras on that route.

I sometimes take the road through Robertson and down the Macquarie Pass.
It's an interesting drive and the road is in reasonable condition then turn left up the Princess Hwy (M1) but turn off onto Memorial Drive (B65) coast road to go through Thirroul, Austinmer and Scarborough to go over the Sea Cliff Bridge then through the National Park. Just watch the many speed cameras on that route.

Thanks for the suggestion meloccom, the coast road looks like a really nice option. Have seen the Sea Cliff Bridge in advertising many times but never really known where it was.

The Sea Cliff Bridge is worth the drive all by itself. A rare bird- something built to be beautiful AND functional...
when you're done, head up the hill on the Northside to the lookout where you get a fab view and the occasional hang glider...