Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gov consultation on petrol/diesel new car sales ban - details of response

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that it seems to be sounding like the death knell for the Tesla home charger as "...all new private chargepoints must have smart functionality"

Either that, or some form of additional equipment will be required with the smart capabilities included, similar to what the Ohme smart charge cable does.

You are correct that it is generally not the case that new schemes of VED are re-respectively applied to existing vehicles so I would not expect any of the existing zero VED EV's to be hit with a bit VED increase at any point though small incremental increases are possible.
That said if a new system like road pricing is introduced don't expect to be grandfathered out of that one!
I don't think there are any zero VED PHEV or HEV cars sold now. Only BEV.

So yep, existing BEV will likely remain low or zero under the current system. But anything that emits anything, isn't zero.

As for moving everyone to road pricing, that will very much depend on which technology they choose. And obviously, politics or approaching elections can influence decisions as well.

Other than my Model S, I have a 70 plate Toyota Corolla Sportback HEV. The 'Self charging kind' according to Toyota can barely do 1 miles electric only. I am a careful driver able to usually get above average MPG in the cars i've owned. I'm struggling to get 60 MPG and barely 300 miles to a tank (32 litres). When you first fill up with fuel it suggests it can go 705miles until next fuel stop. 250 miles later the light comes on telling you to refill. An absolute con, Toyota should be ashamed. Hopefully Hybrids that can't be plugged in will taxed out of existance with Petrol and Diesel.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB