Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gov. DeSantis Announces 74 New Superchargers Along the Turnpike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We knew about most of the planned expansion along the Turnpike from a press conference held last year, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts - Fast Charging & Supercharging Stations will be added at the Florida Turnpike service plazas (Public). During that conference, he did state they wanted to add more along the exits of additional Florida interstates.

If you go to the link above you will see Fort Drum already has the additional Telsa Superchargers installed as well as the L3 CHAdeMO and CCS Chargepoint stations.

The additional planned stations you can see at the end of the video at Charging stations coming to Florida roadways. Most locations look to have about two chargers except for the Turnpike which will have about 4-6. These look to be non-Tesla chargers. I do wonder if Tesla still plans on installing chargers at the other Turnpike locations outside for Fort Drum and Turkey Lake.

Reactions: MarcoRP
We knew about most of the planned expansion along the Turnpike from a press conference held last year, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts - Fast Charging & Supercharging Stations will be added at the Florida Turnpike service plazas (Public). During that conference, he did state they wanted to add more along the exits of additional Florida interstates.

If you go to the link above you will see Fort Drum already has the additional Telsa Superchargers installed as well as the L3 CHAdeMO and CCS Chargepoint stations.

The additional planned stations you can see at the end of the video at Charging stations coming to Florida roadways. Most locations look to have about two chargers except for the Turnpike which will have about 4-6. These look to be non-Tesla chargers. I do wonder if Tesla still plans on installing chargers at the other Turnpike locations outside for Fort Drum and Turkey Lake.
Hi Paul,

Thanks. I see no reason why Tesla wouldn't follow through on installing the other Superchargers along the Turnpike as noted on the graphic on the first link.

The governor's official press release states:

DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) has reviewed the applications received for the electric vehicle charging stations and has selected the projects to receive the awarded funding. With this funding, 74 additional DC fast chargers will be installed statewide. Combined with the chargers FDOT is installing along the Florida Turnpike, a total of 104 DC fast chargers will be installed along over 1,200 miles of highway, covering the most traveled corridors in the state. Each of the 34 locations will have at minimum 2 chargers each. This represents an approximately 50 percent statewide increase in publicly available DC charging stations.
I am doubtful that any of the VW mitigation money will go toward subsidizing Tesla, but we can always hope.

Larry

https://floridadep.gov/sites/default/files/EVCI Phase 1 Table of Awarded Applicants.pdf

This is a list of locations where they will be going. If I had to guess, the 7-Eleven ones will probably be Tesla. Maybe, these numbers are chargers that AREN'T Tesla, since Tesla usually pays for their own. Perhaps, these are chargers that the State of Florida will install, and Tesla will install at the same locations?
Hi Chauncey,

I was typing my comment in posting #7 while you were posting. It looks like you confirmed my comment about none of the 74 fast chargers being Tesla Superchargers.

Larry

Hi Paul,

Thanks. I see no reason why Tesla wouldn't follow through on installing the other Superchargers along the Turnpike as noted on the graphic on the first link.

DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) has reviewed the applications received for the electric vehicle charging stations and has selected the projects to receive the awarded funding. With this funding, 74 additional DC fast chargers will be installed statewide. Combined with the chargers FDOT is installing along the Florida Turnpike, a total of 104 DC fast chargers will be installed along over 1,200 miles of highway, covering the most traveled corridors in the state. Each of the 34 locations will have at minimum 2 chargers each. This represents an approximately 50 percent statewide increase in publicly available DC charging stations.
I am doubtful that any of the VW mitigation money will go toward subsidizing Tesla, but we can always hope.

Larry
Time to add the stations on Supercharge Info finally??

Time to add the stations on Supercharge Info finally??
For the Turnpike Superchargers other than the following graphic that shows a total 16 Superchargers, I don't know of a breakdown by Turnpike Plaza.

Florida Fast Chargers 4.jpg

Larry

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
For the Turnpike Superchargers other than the following graphic that shows a total 16 Superchargers, I don't know of a breakdown by Turnpike Plaza.

View attachment 563533

Larry
Should be easy to figure out. They look like they are the numbers in the yellow markers.

Edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood what you wrote. Markers have total number of new charging stations, but do not break it down by Supercharger vs Other.

Hi Paul,

Larry

I think/hope we will get more Superchargers on the Turnpike however I don't think it will be every stop like originally planned. Looking at your screenshot from the most recent media event it shows 16 additional Tesla chargers. Let's assume the Fort Drum upgrade (additional 4 chargers) is not part of that count then I would assume two more Superchargers with 8 stalls each.

South Florida has a large number of chargers near I-95 and the Turnpike. It isn't a nice as the actual Turnpike service station locations as that is a quick off/quick on versus having to exit, take surface roads to the Supercharger, and then either decided between I-95 or the Turnpike to continue the trip. The Delray Beach supercharger looks to be the closest supercharger for a quick on/off topoff from the Turnpike.

I think/hope we will get more Superchargers on the Turnpike however I don't think it will be every stop like originally planned. Looking at your screenshot from the most recent media event it shows 16 additional Tesla chargers. Let's assume the Fort Drum upgrade (additional 4 chargers) is not part of that count then I would assume two more Superchargers with 8 stalls each.

Hi Paul,

You are probably correct.
However, mathematically there could still be new Supercharger terminals at the six plazas as listed on the original Turnpike graphic.
If Tesla were to install one additional Version 2 Supercharger Cabinet at all the locations listed on that graphic, except for Fort Drum, that would mean a total of 12 new terminals, plus the 4 at Fort Drum comes out to the stated 16.
It is likely that parking spaces at these plazas are at a premium, so it's possible that as much as Tesla would like to install 8 terminals at a time, they are in competition both with other the Fast Charger installations and the overall scarcity of parking spaces.

Larry

Hi Paul,

You are probably correct.
However, mathematically there could still be new Supercharger terminals at the six plazas as listed on the original Turnpike graphic.
If Tesla were to install one additional Version 2 Supercharger Cabinet at all the locations listed on that graphic, except for Fort Drum, that would mean a total of 12 new terminals, plus the 4 at Fort Drum comes out to the stated 16.
It is likely that parking spaces at these plazas are at a premium, so it's possible that as much as Tesla would like to install 8 terminals at a time, they are in competition both with other the Fast Charger installations and the overall scarcity of parking spaces.

Larry
I hope 16 means the number of cabinets. Otherwise, this is going to be a flop

It’s impossible that they would install just 2 Superchargers per rest area. Traffic would be disastrous
Hi Marco,

I agree with Paul that in all likelihood we won't see just two Tesla Terminals at a service plaza and therefore we may not see any Superchargers at some service plazas listed on the graphic.
However, I am quite sure that the governor wasn't counting charging cabinets, but rather charging terminals. Whereas we can always hope for more, I don't consider adding 16 Supercharger Terminals a flop.

Larry