Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gov. DeSantis Announces 74 New Superchargers Along the Turnpike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess that means Turkey Lake won’t be free anymore.
I'm not sure what you mean.
Free Supercharging is based on the features associated with your Tesla, not on the location. Early Model Ss came with free Supercharging. Then they discontinued it. Then they offered it again for Model S and Xs, and in May they discontinued it again For most Model 3s there was a fee for Supercharging. There was an exception for the early performance versions.

Larry

Reactions: MarcoRP
I'm not sure what you mean.
Free Supercharging is based on the features associated with your Tesla, not on the location. Early Model Ss came with free Supercharging. Then they discontinued it. Then they offered it again for Model S and Xs, and in May they discontinued it again For most Model 3s there was a fee for Supercharging. There was an exception for the early performance versions.

Larry

The Turkey Lake Supercharger is no charge...for everyone. As are all the superchargers that are located in Turnpike rest stops.

The Turkey Lake Supercharger is no charge...for everyone. As are all the superchargers that are located in Turnpike rest stops.
Thanks, you jogged my memory.
Yes, the FDOT requires that all charging be free on the Turnpike. Therefore, I doubt that BR5220 has anything to worry about regarding losing free charging.

Larry

Reactions: kpeng
Seriously? Charging has to be free? Then why did they make the ChargePoint stations at Fort Drum cost 20$/hour?
It may be that things have changed since the original deal to put superchargers in. Or it might be a requirement just for Tesla because they are using a proprietary plug which restricts supercharger usage to only Tesla owners. I could see requiring it to be a freely offered service being a way to get around concerns over a private company using public lands and generating revenue while also limiting access.

There's other options, too. e.g. Tesla may have been awarded a grant that covered or subsidized the electricity charges so long as they weren't billing users. etc.

Fort Drum was free but I think about a year ago it was changed to charge. I wasn't able to verify as I was one of those that still had free Supercharging due to Hurricane Dorian last year. I just checked the in-car navigation and you can see Turkey Lake still does not list a fee however Fort Drum does. What is interesting is Turkey Lake also doesn't list idle fees. When I had free supercharging at least idle fees were still listed.

IMG_1344.jpg IMG_1345.jpg

We got burned with one of those VW cheater diesels, and there are zero chargers shown for Northwest Florida.

In my town, we can get 500,000 tourists during peak season. Major interstate, rest areas, communities recovering from Hurricane Michael.

Guess the votes aren’t needed here.

We got burned with one of those VW cheater diesels, and there are zero chargers shown for Northwest Florida.

In my town, we can get 500,000 tourists during peak season. Major interstate, rest areas, communities recovering from Hurricane Michael.

Guess the votes aren’t needed here.

The Turnpike ends just north of Orlando so that’s why they didn’t publicly announce any locations in your area. However, I did see on PlugShare that there are some fast charging stations (gov-funded) that are coming soon to towns like: Crystal River, Gainesville, Crawfordville.

The Turnpike ends just north of Orlando so that’s why they didn’t publicly announce any locations in your area. However, I did see on PlugShare that there are some fast charging stations (gov-funded) that are coming soon to towns like: Crystal River, Gainesville, Crawfordville.

Thanks for the heads up about the planned Gainesville and Crawfordsville chargers. The latter is in the panhandle.

Regarding the VW settlement, I don’t understand the comment about the turnpike. The map shows chargers far north of the turnpike. The settlement funds were to benefit the State of Florida, so it’s doesn’t seem equitable to benefit certain people along certain Interstates. I’m looking at the DeSantis’s map on post #10, and there’s nothing on I-10 and Northwest Florida is not even listed among the other regions. And there are no settlement-funded chargers on I-10 from Lake City to Pensacola—a 300-mile long hurricane evacuation route. We just had a CAT 5 less than two years ago. So that raises the question, why leave out a large region of the state? Maybe there’s a phase two.