TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Government Car Park Charger Only 16A?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by franklee006, Mar 6, 2015.

1. franklee006

franklee006 New Member

Hi Guys,

I been told that without the dual charger I will only be able to my MS at 16A rating... is there any cheap solution to get 32A? As 16A is really slow

And now I found that the supercharger in Hong Kong is really not enough, getting more and more MS on road now... Sometime will need to wait 2-3 cars behind the supercharger

So I would rather car longer in government car park but 16A seem too slow

2. 3fiftynine

3fiftynine Member

Yes it's never enough. My way of dealing with that is to go supercharging outside busy hours, e.g. sneak out for early lunch or meet people near SC locations ... etc. I heard there are more SC's being built so if you are not getting home-charging in the near future you may have to consider retrofitting a dual charger into your MS?!! At gov't parking like below image I get around 10% per hour.

IMG_3581.JPG

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Yes, you need dual charger for 32A at government single phase stations. With single charger you can only get 16A.

I don't know of any off-the-shelf commercial solution.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

What??? Here in the states at least we charger at 40 amps (10KW) on a single charger. The dual charger is only used above 40 amps. That said MANY stations are limited to lower power. As I have yet to find a station above 6KW in the wild.

5. markwj

The US and European/Asian(ex Japan) charging systems are quite different. We get 3 phase support, but 16A limit on single phase with single chargers. Tesla giveth, and Tesla taketh away.

6. Vmax

Vmax Member

Big mistake to order the car without dual chargers in HK.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It's still possible to add the second charger, right? Might be worth it.

8. Vmax

Vmax Member

I think it's possible. However price will be higher than ordering it with the car.

9. markwj

Price for dual chargers in USA has just dropped. Not sure about Hong Kong, but might be worth asking...

10. Optic

Optic Member

Dual chargers no longer come installed from factory. I was lucky enough to amend my order to get the cheaper dual charger that was factory installed recently. And then a few aago amended my 85D to next gen seat. So ya it so worth a try. I think factory installed dual chargers costs $11000HKD before.

11. en-ev

en-ev Member

Where did you get this news?
    I made the order on 85D yesterday and no dual chargers option was available. I called TM sale and he confirmed that I can only get it installed in HK (which is likely >6k higher) after delivery :(

12. Optic

Optic Member

I ordered it before the dual charger option became a service center installation option. So yes, you have to pay more now. According to my DS, older dual chargers will be installed in factory.

13. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Not if you can charge at home.

14. Tony Lin

Tony Lin Member

its HKD30,690[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif] to retrofit![/FONT]

15. Vmax

Vmax Member

I charge at home and like to have 95km/h charging. Convenient.

16. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

Dual charger is one of the most important items to get when you order the car:

- Even with superchargers, and charging at home, you never know when you might need it
    - Resale value, moving house, other changes you either can or cannot control
    - 2.5X higher price for a later retrofit

You can see a chart here #372 how it affects you if you only have a single AC charger on board.

17. Tony Lin

Tony Lin Member

i agree, and regret not getting them by listening to the sales.

18. duidui

duidui Member

I believe single charger is more than sufficient if you have charging at home/office especially in a small city like HK.

Even with just 220V/10A charging, you can drive at least 80KM per day every-single-day (assuming >=8 hours charge).
    With the wall-connector installed at home/office (I believe is 16A max for single charger), you get at least 120KM per day with similar assumptions.

If you are a weekend driver, it'll definitely be a non-issue.

19. markwj

Just to be 100% clear:

With the Tesla Wall Connector, even cars with single chargers can get 40A.

The 16A single charger single phase limit is only for non-Tesla (usually public) charging stations.

As DITB pointed out, see here for details: Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard - Page 38 (and that entire thread for the gory details).