Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS accuracy new model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all,
Just took delivery of a Model S Plaid, have been driving other Model Ss and Xs in the past, and I noticed right away the GPS does not appear to be accurate. The nav pointer is not following the map and is always a bit to the right or the left or in front or in back of the road I am on. Doesnt make a difference if I reboot or stay outside in one place to ensure it is picking up the GPS. The large touchscreen, small map on the dashboard, and the Tesla app all show the inaccuracy and it leads to incorrect navigation instructions to turn onto the road I'm already on, or even worse keeps picking up service roads nearby the highways, or shows me on the other side of the highway, and suddenly dropping my speed from 65 to 35 mph (because it thinks I am on the service road).

This is really obvious because my wife has a model X which shows the location perfectly including when parked in our garage showing the car right next to it on google maps, whereas mine is always almost 50 feet away though in the same place as hers!

I realize its a new vehicle but has anyone seen this yet with either this car or other model S, and what is the recommended fix- seems like maybe can be done remotely or does it require a service center appointment?

Thank you!

Regards,
Peter

Will do. Its a bit different from alot of the old posts (map not moving, time zone wrong, map not accurate after parked underground overnight etc.) , so this seemed a bit different.

I will share the experience once they figure out what the issue is.

Thanks!
Peter

was it the map? I've had this exact issue, even with the red pointer not moving from home while I drive to work the entire time. I've take it in once, where they replaced the GPS antenna and mount. It worked for 5 days, and the problem is recurring now. My car is really close to 30 days in service which would define it as a lemon by Washington state law so I'm close to sayin screw it if they cannot work it out. Either way I love my car and I just want it fixed, did you have any resolution?

Does this happen when you have google earth maps overlay, and with that turned off -- to just standard navigation? When you press the "Compass" in the upper left corner. does the map recenter or change in any way like it is supposed to do? It seems like this would change the map from north only, to direction of travel, even if GPS wasn't working correctly.

effect isn't subtle; if FSD is on the car freaks out, and then on highways this is also crazy unsafe as it thinks it needs to slow down

Same as my mine, late last week GPS was 3.3miles off, I did reset which fixes the issue but comes back in in a day or 2. Once it showed I was in a nearby lake, lol.

Mine also freezes, GPS position remains stuck as I drive, infotainment works. Taking it to SC tomorrow for several other issues. Seems like software to me

Lemme know what they find. I dropped mine off yesterday too!
So after dropping off the car at 10am, I got a call at 7:30pm. They said the GPS issue was due to interference from the cabin camera. The harness for the camera was not secured properly so it interfered with the harness if the GPS (forgot If it was the harness of GPS or antenna). I have not seen the results but SA was sure they fixed it. Will have to see if it's really fixed after a few days of driving

Reactions: DerbyDave
So after dropping off the car at 10am, I got a call at 7:30pm. They said the GPS issue was due to interference from the cabin camera. The harness for the camera was not secured properly so it interfered with the harness if the GPS (forgot If it was the harness of GPS or antenna). I have not seen the results but SA was sure they fixed it. Will have to see if it's really fixed after a few days of driving
Received the car back after 3 days. They replaced the mcu and it seems to be working. This is from the invoice “
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
TLA,AP-T,CONN- Q,MCU-Z,MSX FUSED”

Looks like it worked, from the few miles I’ve driven so far 🤷‍♂️

Received the car back after 3 days. They replaced the mcu and it seems to be working. This is from the invoice “
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
TLA,AP-T,CONN- Q,MCU-Z,MSX FUSED”

Looks like it worked, from the few miles I’ve driven so far 🤷‍♂️
Who did you contact about this issue? I have it too. Did you go thru your Tesla app or call a service center?

Request service in your Tesla app. They will likely respond and ask you for a specific date and time do you notice the behavior. Just take note of that so that you can respond easily. You can also take some screenshots and upload them via the app as well. This is a known issue and just required insulating some wire in the harness that was getting interference from the In cabin camera. The problem does appear to be resolved for now.

Who did you contact about this issue? I have it too. Did you go thru your Tesla app or call a service center?
Same as dgs said. I including pics of nav which I included in the service call. I took video as well but they never asked for it. It’s still working normally few hundred miles in. Good luck. I hope this is the last of the issues.