TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

GPS acting up

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Max*, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I'm not sure if this is firmware related and I should wait it out, or if there's something wrong with my car? Anyone else having GPS issues in the past few weeks?

Started happening a few weeks ago, a reboot fixes it. But below are some examples of the Tesla GPS vs. where my car actually is based on Google Maps (and well... reality)

(I'm not on the "side" of the road, I'm 1 street over -->)
    Img1 - Copy.jpg

And another example
    Img2 - Copy.jpg

• Love x 1
  2. Only Trons

Only Trons Supporting Member

I had some issues with my S a few weeks ago immediately after I picked up the car from the service center. The maps were slow to refresh/rebuild and numerous times my vehicle marker would be misplaced by some (unmeasured) amount --- often the vehicle marker would be off the road. And when parked in my garage an incorrect address would be displayed (basically, the system was holding me at a location a few houses up the street from mine). I rebooted and that seemed to fix the problem. Since that episode, I have received a firmware update --- am currently on 17.26.76 but don't remember what the previous version number was.

• Informative x 1
  3. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I had that happen to me,
    Also rebooted the center console and it adjusted my location back to reality.

• Informative x 1
  4. D.E.

D.E. Member

I don't know if this counts. I was headed north on I-75 two days ago, a Saturday, and needed to charge in Atlanta. The GPS took me off I-75, down bad roads, by the state prison, rough neighborhoods, 45-60 minutes, in heavy two lane bumper to bumper traffic, numerous stops for cars ahead making left turns at traffic lights, then it put me back on I-75 only to get off at the next exit.

Please let's go to Google Maps.

5. pf-flyer

pf-flyer Member

I had the same problems with my GPS for a while. I finally narrowed it down to being interference from my Blackvue camera. When I unplugged the camera, the GPS locked on very quickly. I fixed it with a couple of ferrite cores on the wires. I'm not sure if it's relevant to your issue, but it is one place to look.

6. D.E.

D.E. Member

No cameras, just what the car came with. Thanks, though.

7. Max*

hah, no, that's normal shitty Tesla nav behavior.

This just has no clue where I'm at. I thought it's a once off, restarted, it got fixed, then back again, restarted, fixed, back again. Restarted, good for now, but at this rate, I think it'll be back again.

8. Max*

Thanks, no dashcam here though. Just a cell phone (or two).

9. EVCarGUy

EVCarGUy Member

Same for me. Where did you put the ferrite cores? On front power, front end of cable to rear camera, at rear camera?