Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS acting up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
I'm not sure if this is firmware related and I should wait it out, or if there's something wrong with my car? Anyone else having GPS issues in the past few weeks?

Started happening a few weeks ago, a reboot fixes it. But below are some examples of the Tesla GPS vs. where my car actually is based on Google Maps (and well... reality)

(I'm not on the "side" of the road, I'm 1 street over -->)
Img1 - Copy.jpg

And another example
Img2 - Copy.jpg

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
I had some issues with my S a few weeks ago immediately after I picked up the car from the service center. The maps were slow to refresh/rebuild and numerous times my vehicle marker would be misplaced by some (unmeasured) amount --- often the vehicle marker would be off the road. And when parked in my garage an incorrect address would be displayed (basically, the system was holding me at a location a few houses up the street from mine). I rebooted and that seemed to fix the problem. Since that episode, I have received a firmware update --- am currently on 17.26.76 but don't remember what the previous version number was.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
I don't know if this counts. I was headed north on I-75 two days ago, a Saturday, and needed to charge in Atlanta. The GPS took me off I-75, down bad roads, by the state prison, rough neighborhoods, 45-60 minutes, in heavy two lane bumper to bumper traffic, numerous stops for cars ahead making left turns at traffic lights, then it put me back on I-75 only to get off at the next exit.

Please let's go to Google Maps.

I had the same problems with my GPS for a while. I finally narrowed it down to being interference from my Blackvue camera. When I unplugged the camera, the GPS locked on very quickly. I fixed it with a couple of ferrite cores on the wires. I'm not sure if it's relevant to your issue, but it is one place to look.

I don't know if this counts. I was headed north on I-75 two days ago, a Saturday, and needed to charge in Atlanta. The GPS took me off I-75, down bad roads, by the state prison, rough neighborhoods, 45-60 minutes, in heavy two lane bumper to bumper traffic, numerous stops for cars ahead making left turns at traffic lights, then it put me back on I-75 only to get off at the next exit.

Please let's go to Google Maps.
hah, no, that's normal shitty Tesla nav behavior.

This just has no clue where I'm at. I thought it's a once off, restarted, it got fixed, then back again, restarted, fixed, back again. Restarted, good for now, but at this rate, I think it'll be back again.

I had the same problems with my GPS for a while. I finally narrowed it down to being interference from my Blackvue camera. When I unplugged the camera, the GPS locked on very quickly. I fixed it with a couple of ferrite cores on the wires. I'm not sure if it's relevant to your issue, but it is one place to look.
Thanks, no dashcam here though. Just a cell phone (or two).

Just wanted to update this for anyone else having this issue: A restart used to fix it, but not anymore.

It got worse over time, so since I dropped my car off to get a slew of things fixed, I added this to the laundry list. They said that when the GPS has poor reception, the car relies on a gyro behind the screen (MCU?), and if the gyro is giving off bad data, the GPS will act up the way it was in my case.

They said they ordered a replacement part (didn't say what), should take a couple days to get it, and should fix the GPS issue.