Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Antenna Replacement - Cutting out rear windshield??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been having intermittent issues with my 2017 MS75 losing GPS signal - meaning it would get stuck and not update the location which obviously causes Nav not to function but also causes TACC and Autopilot to not work.

Was told this morning after a remote diagnosis that my GPS antenna needed to be replaced, I asked if this was something I could wait for or drop off and was told that it would take 3-4 hours because they need CUT out the rear windshield to replace!!! WTF!! Seriously...does this sound right to anyone?

I have had my GPS antenna (and wire harness) replaced. Yes the rear window needs to be removed to gain access to it. The rear window is glued in place. So it has to be un-glued (cut out). Typically, it also means the rear center tail light needs to be replaced as well, as that is also glued to the rear window. In my case the window itself was not damaged, and simply was re-glued back in place. This was all done outside of warranty. Total $800.00 ($380 in parts, $420 in labor).

• Informative
Reactions: Snipealot
Since your problem is intermittent and may just be a loose wire, you should ask the service center to check all wiring harness connections BEFORE cutting out your rear window. Too many mechanics nowadays are "parts swappers" vs. diagnosticians and they fail to check the simple things first and instead default right to what part they (think they) need to replace.

A friend waited weeks in Arizona summer heat without AC for a back-ordered HVAC fan at a major automaker's dealer for an almost new car, only to find out they never needed a new fan at all: the factory had failed to lock the harness connectors together properly. That possibility never occurred to the "parts swapper" mechanic.

Have you installed rear facing camera in the rear hatch window? My Blackvue would sometimes cause GPS issues until I unplugged its cable from the front camera unit.

Digging this thread back up......can you go into more detail here? My GPS sometimes goes off in the wrong direction, freezes in place, or just spins in circles. I do have a blackvue rear camera as well, and wouldn't be opposed to moving it if it's somehow bothering the GPS antenna by being up top.

Digging this thread back up......can you go into more detail here? My GPS sometimes goes off in the wrong direction, freezes in place, or just spins in circles. I do have a blackvue rear camera as well, and wouldn't be opposed to moving it if it's somehow bothering the GPS antenna by being up top.
In my case, the gps location on the map was off by 20-100ft. Unfortunately in unplugging and replugging the antenna cable into the Blackview, I managed to bend the center pin, and it snapped off. No more gps interference.

In my case, the gps location on the map was off by 20-100ft. Unfortunately in unplugging and replugging the antenna cable into the Blackview, I managed to bend the center pin, and it snapped off. No more gps interference.

Was it *always* off by that distance, or occasionally?

Mine is off by quite a bit more than that - sometimes up to 2 miles - but I'm trying to do some self diagnosis before I let the SC cut my window out.

For those outside of warranty. Had a simliar situation on a early 2000s benz once. Wasnt a glass antenna, but a roof mounted antenna that would have needed replacement at considerable cost (Headliner needed to be dropped, etc.)

So, an option that I did? I disconnected the OEM GPS antenna from the back of the cars OEM navigation unit. Purchased an aftermarket GPS antenna (that had the same connector for the head unit) from Ebay for less than $20. Stuck that antenna discretely in a corner of the rear glass.

Problem solved.

Only a suggestion for anyone having the issue and may be out of warranty and looking for an effective, but cheaper alternative than complete glass removal

For those outside of warranty. Had a simliar situation on a early 2000s benz once. Wasnt a glass antenna, but a roof mounted antenna that would have needed replacement at considerable cost (Headliner needed to be dropped, etc.)

So, an option that I did? I disconnected the OEM GPS antenna from the back of the cars OEM navigation unit. Purchased an aftermarket GPS antenna (that had the same connector for the head unit) from Ebay for less than $20. Stuck that antenna discretely in a corner of the rear glass.

Problem solved.

Only a suggestion for anyone having the issue and may be out of warranty and looking for an effective, but cheaper alternative than complete glass removal
Do you have any picture or web link showing the connector?

I wonder if the connector is similar to the one used for security video cameras.

Do you have any picture or web link showing the connector?

I wonder if the connector is similar to the one used for security video cameras.

Fakra C Male​

1620408910416.png

Last edited:
Thank you for following up. So it's a SMA connector, or Sub-Miniature version A).

There are some variations like SMB or SMC and diameters of 2.4 and 2.9 mm...

Note: If you need to get an extension cable, be careful to select the correct gender.
- The 'RP' (reverse polarity) is the female type, see picture.

Attachments

• SMA SMA-RP Coaxial Plugs .jpg
    SMA SMA-RP Coaxial Plugs .jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 65