Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS / App accuracy when shipping a car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story long I have taken over someones lease from New York. Around 11 days ago the car was picked up by the delivery driver to send to California. I was able to talk with the driver yesterday and he claims to be in Texas and will have the car delivered by Monday. The trouble is since I got app access to the car it shows the car has not moved from a shipping yard a few hours from New York for around 4 days. The app is updating showing range and interior temp...

Anyone have experience with the GPS in the car and shipping?
From what I understand the car carrier is open so it should be able to see GPS.

Thanks

I'm just a "one mouse experiment" and maybe there are reasons why the car is not reporting a location properly when in transit. In the one instance that I had an MX transported on a flat bed, it was constantly reporting proper location. Thus, I will be curious as to why your car is not reporting location properly or perhaps the driver isn't doing as claimed. You did say car carrier is open, but hard for me to visualize what that means.

I’ve done this recently. The car doesn’t seem to be able to report its location from within an enclosed trailer. Probably too good a shield.

The app reports the last location until it gets a new fix, which happened only when they had to unload the car to get another one out.

Just realized you said it was an open trailer. How sure are you? Not many transport companies will put an expensive car in an open trailer. I did want an enclosed trailer, but many places I talked too said that was the only way they would take it.

And, fwiw, the company that brought my car to the east coast previously knew Tesla’s and disabled data and app access. Didn’t make me happy. Driver insisted it was required.

Teslas don't update their GPS position while not being driven. The car will continue to report its last position when the driver exited the vehicle. So while being transported, you won't see it moving in real time. Until someone drives it off the trailer.
Hmmmm, that has me puzzled since I was able to see the location of my car while it was being transported in San Diego. Maybe it is as you mentioned...... they drove it off the flat-bed or something.