Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS doesn't recognize "drive to nearby"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My GPS and autopilot are working fine,,,but in the last couple weeks, when I give a verbal command to "DRIVE TO A whatever NEARBY", it pulls up a list of those places in in Pennsylvania or New Jersey (and I'm in Alabama). Now, if I specifically tell it to "drive to starbucks in Montgomery, Alabama", then it works fine. And if I say DRIVE TO HOME (or work), then it's perfect. Weird....suggestions? THX

My GPS and autopilot are working fine,,,but in the last couple weeks, when I give a verbal command to "DRIVE TO A whatever NEARBY", it pulls up a list of those places in in Pennsylvania or New Jersey (and I'm in Alabama). Now, if I specifically tell it to "drive to starbucks in Montgomery, Alabama", then it works fine. And if I say DRIVE TO HOME (or work), then it's perfect. Weird....suggestions? THX

The voice command is still in its very infancy development unless someone is willing to pour money in it to make it more robust.

I don't know if this is related but it might serve as one additional data point trying to diagnose this issue. I typically don't use voice commands, but I have experienced something similar when typing in destinations. When I begin typing, the list of matches will begin to autopopulate. The problem is this list of matches is usually from a different location (usually Philadelphia, sometimes New York) from where I am at the moment. However, once I hit the "search" button, it pulls up a list based on my correct location.

It appears in my case search-as-you-type is broken. Perhaps voice commands are using a similar entry point into the code.

Reactions: ldgrmnmc
I’m sure glad to read that the problem “fixed itself”. I’ve had that experience before, and I hope it happens again soon.

I recently lost all ability to use voice commands for anything related to navigation ever since Version 10 downloaded to my December 2018 Model S. I also lost the ability to stream music from my iPhone at the same time. I don’t know if Version 10 is the reason, but it is super annoying.