Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MEAllard

Feb 3, 2020
New Hampshire
Any advice on how to reset? GPS froze yesterday while driving in AP mode. Received message saying auto pilot unavailable for remainder of the trip, and GPS has stayed at that location since. App shows vehicle at that location as well. Can’t use summon (too far away). Can’t navigate (start point is that frozen location). I have tried reboots, I do have a mobile appointment for the 30th. Any thing else I should try? Been over 18 hours now....

MEAllard

Feb 3, 2020
New Hampshire
I have done the dual scroll wheel resets 3 times, and the "Turn System Off" one once. Still frozen! Now realize I can't use the homeland either (as the GPS thinks I am 30 miles away!).

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland ModelX S603
Any advice on how to reset? GPS froze yesterday while driving in AP mode. Received message saying auto pilot unavailable for remainder of the trip, and GPS has stayed at that location since. App shows vehicle at that location as well. Can’t use summon (too far away). Can’t navigate (start point is that frozen location). I have tried reboots, I do have a mobile appointment for the 30th. Any thing else I should try? Been over 18 hours now....
Not all systems/threads are shut down with 2 finger reboot or even the 'power off' menu option.
My similar thread. I followed procedures;
* disconnect 12v ground
* disconnect first responder loop
* wait 2+ minutes
* reconnect first responder loop
* reconnect 12v ground;
GPS location stuck at one location; how to reset?!?!

Attachments

• Replace 12v Battery - Disconnect 12V Power.pdf
    183.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

ShawnA

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2017
Edwardsburg, MI
Hi @MEAllard,

Another less creepy way you might try to reset your car and GPS would be:
Go to Service Menu> Change wheel size and design to something else - Not what it is now...
After you confirm the wheel size change you get an information that the system will reboot...
Let the system reboot...
Go back to the Service Menu> Change wheel size and design to your ACTUAL wheel size and design.
After the confirm wheel size change the system will reboot...

These reboots are very similar to what @scottf200 suggests but without getting
under the hood.
These reboots reset the car's Gateway...

After the second reboot try a brief drive to see if the GPS works...
You will get a brief message at the start of your drive that the TPMS reset successfully...

Good luck,

Shawn

MEAllard

Feb 3, 2020
New Hampshire
ShawnA - that worked! Thank you very much (I'm sure Scottf200's idea would have worked as well, but I didn't want to mess with disconnecting the battery, etc). Meanwhile, service is still trying to figure it out! I will let them know what worked, and will cancel my mobile appointment - thanks again for the solution!

• Love
Reactions: scottf200

tamon77

Ordered 2/21: 2021 Model 3 LR AWD - MSM with Black
Feb 27, 2021
Bothell,WA
Hi @MEAllard,

Go to Service Menu> Change wheel size and design to something else - Not what it is now...
After you confirm the wheel size change you get an information that the system will reboot...
Let the system reboot...
Go back to the Service Menu> Change wheel size and design to your ACTUAL wheel size and design.

under the hood.

You will get a brief message at the start of your drive that the TPMS reset successfully...

Good luck,

Shawn
Does this work on a model 3?

ShawnA

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2017
Edwardsburg, MI
Hi @tamon77 ,

It should work on a model 3...
A quicker one cycle version of this is to change within the same size of tire.
Visual only... Then your car avatar will look different until you do it
next time to get back to your original design tires...

It's worth a try,

Shawn

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
ShawnA- that is brilliant! Will print this one off and keep it in the glove compartment with other good ideas!
Hmm... Just remember you might have to change your wheel size and reboot to open the glove compartment in order to figure out how to change your wheel size and reboot.

(joking, of course)

unkle77

Apr 16, 2021
LONDON
Hi @MEAllard,

Let the system reboot...

under the hood.

Good luck,

Shawn
Just found this last night after having no map for four days! Tesla garage totally stumped about what to do. Your trick worked!! Thank you so much! :cool:

markinsf

Dec 25, 2018
San Francisco
Hi @MEAllard,

Let the system reboot...

under the hood.

Good luck,

Shawn
Shawn! You're a genius! My GPS has been frozen for 3 days and had a mobile service appt scheduled. Tried your trick and it worked! Thanks so much!

mbp11

Jan 30, 2019
SF Bay Area
Shawn IS a Genius!

Here are some more reset tips and tricks!:

• Helpful

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC