Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS / Home charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been charging my Model 3 all over the place geographically.

J1772
Tesla Destination Chargers
Tesla Superchargers

They all work just fine. My home Tesla destination charger is also great.

Question though ( I believe I already have the answer, however I'm just checking ).

When I charger everywhere on the planet but home.....My Model 3 immediately charges.
However when I get home and plug-in....the charging is NOT immediate - Its scheduled.

I'm thinking that the reason that is happening at home is because the Model 3 geographically knows where it is.....and then assumes its charging schedule.

Right?

Have you played with the timed charging options? That's where they should work, at home. You wouldn't want them to impact Supercharger charging, would you?
No I wouldn't.

I just couldn't figure out why charging didn't immediately start at home.....like it does everywhere else.

I use timed charging all of the time. It starts at midnight as that is the time where the rates are at their lowest.

I really don't care about rates or anything since I have solar.....but.....I just like to learn.

I'm thinking that the reason that is happening at home is because the Model 3 geographically knows where it is.....and then assumes its charging schedule.
Yes, exactly. The setting of scheduled charging gets memorized for a particular charging location. If you switch it while at that particular location, then it will re-memorize the new setting. And as @SSedan mentioned, if you turn down the amps for some reason, it will also save that data for that location.

And on the side note, none of that applies for Superchargers. They are to charge and get out of the way, so there is no such thing as scheduling them to turn on later while your car is sitting there taking up the spot, or to charge at a slower rate, also wasting time in the space.