Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS HomeLink tweak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish the SKIP selection had an audible warning to let you know it’s there and then I wish it stayed visible for a second or two longer before the door starts opening or closing.

My biggest issue is when I’m out and returning home and turn onto my street and if my garage door open and if I miss the little pop up window with the SKIP option my garage door starts to close and I have to manually press the HOUSE icon to reverse it.

Yes this is first world problem.

Last edited:
My biggest issue is when I’m out and returning home and turn onto my street and if my garage door open and if I miss the little pop up window with the SKIP option my garage door starts to close and I have to manually press the HOUSE icon to reverse it.

I've had my MY for a week and have been considering getting HomeLink. I'm not clear on the problem you've identified, since I'm not familiar with what happens with the pop-up window etc. Could you please explain? Thanks!

I've had my MY for a week and have been considering getting HomeLink. I'm not clear on the problem you've identified, since I'm not familiar with what happens with the pop-up window etc. Could you please explain? Thanks!
I'm not the OP, but I think this has to do with the geofencing functions of the Homelink add-on. You can set it to automatically open your garage door when you are within a customizable distance of the house. As you approach, you see a pop-up on the screen letting you know it's about to open the door and allowing you to manually cancel the command.

Coincidentally, Homelink also gives you the option to close the door automatically after you leave, but I was not able to make that work. I think that, by the time the car tries to send the "close" command, it's too far to work.

Why not reduce the range to where you can see your garage?

I can see my garage well before the HomeLink activates. But I’m driving in a subdivision with parked cars, kids and dogs and that’s where my attention is focused, but silently the HomeLink pops up in a small window with the word SKIP. If I don’t immediately press it closes my garage door, by then I’m turning into my drive way and have to press the HOUSE icon to get the door to reverse. You don’t get the DING on the initial window opening, only when it sends the signal and by then the garage door is doing the opposite of what you want.

I'm not the OP, but I think this has to do with the geofencing functions of the Homelink add-on. You can set it to automatically open your garage door when you are within a customizable distance of the house. As you approach, you see a pop-up on the screen letting you know it's about to open the door and allowing you to manually cancel the command.

Coincidentally, Homelink also gives you the option to close the door automatically after you leave, but I was not able to make that work. I think that, by the time the car tries to send the "close" command, it's too far to work.

I also can't get the auto close to work.