Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS is off position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

emmz0r

Senior Software Engineer
Jul 12, 2018
Norway
This seems to be a chronic problem across reboots and software updates.

upload_2019-7-24_21-26-44.png

upload_2019-7-24_21-27-28.png

upload_2019-7-24_21-29-1.png

This actually causes problems and sudden abrupt reductions of speed, because off ramps to cross over bridges have way lower speed. and when the arrow is over that ramp instead of the main road, as it's supposed to, it causes these abrupt slowdowns.

Is there any solution to this except not using autopilot? It's near useless for me since it's almost as bad as ghost braking. Can the GPS be calibrated or something?

Last edited:
I hope it is not the Russians jamming the GPS signals again. It seems they like doing it a lot. Especially when NATO exercises are going on.
Good idea to compare against other devices to see if you have similar results. I also suspect it could be an antenna problem.

I booked service via the APP, and got a text stating steps to solve the problem yourself.
One of them was to do a power off.

I did power off. The car was off for 2 minutes but came back on automatically (???).

Anyway that seems to have mostly solved the issue for me. It is way more precise now. I will do some more testing before cancelling the appointment.

So for you guys who have a lot of sudden slowdowns because of the wrong speed: Zoom in and look at your position! The position might be off, and go over nearby roads with lower speed limit, typical off ramps.

Dang, it's back, after I canceled the service appointment.
It's totally moody. It can be on the spot most of the time, but then start diverging over time.

Here's from today, red arrow is where I actually was. It picked up speed limits out there which was higher.
That caused me to accelerate towards a speed trap which was at a speed limit 10 km/h lower...

upload_2019-7-31_22-2-22.png

I had the same problem. It was a damaged GPS cable. Here's the bad news -- poor design on Tesla's part means that the GPS antenna and cable CANNOT be accessed without removing the rear hatch glass, so what should be a simple check (pull the ceiling pad) turns into a major item. I took lots of photos/videos of the issue and shared them with my Service Center. After various re-boots, and other items, they determined it was either the antenna or cable. They had to order parts (including the rear hatch glass) and took the car for 4 days once all parts were in. Problem resolved and has not been seen since. Hopefully you have a different, easier-to-fix issue.

I had the same problem. It was a damaged GPS cable. Here's the bad news -- poor design on Tesla's part means that the GPS antenna and cable CANNOT be accessed without removing the rear hatch glass, so what should be a simple check (pull the ceiling pad) turns into a major item. I took lots of photos/videos of the issue and shared them with my Service Center. After various re-boots, and other items, they determined it was either the antenna or cable. They had to order parts (including the rear hatch glass) and took the car for 4 days once all parts were in. Problem resolved and has not been seen since. Hopefully you have a different, easier-to-fix issue.

Thank you! It's been like this for a while now. I am taking pictures daily. I was hoping it wasn't a complicated thing

This happened to me after I installed a new Blackvue Camera. The issue seemed to be due to stray interference from the cable. I put some ferrite cores on the camera cable and it solved the problem.

I have no 3rd party equipment connected, except for an USB stick for sentry.

Had this happen to me, it was fixed after they updated the software on the car.

Did not for me. I advise you to pay attention if it drifts off again. It can look good for a while, since updating software is resetting the system in the process, and might drain current that is affecting the GPS.

This has happened to me intermittently in the past after software updates even though i do a full reboot after each. Fortunately it resolves itself at some point so has never persisted. Does sound like either the antenna is faulty or the map software has issues drawing the map on the correct position

Yeah it can be spot on some times and other times way off in the same location so my guess is the antennae cable / connection. I have booked a service visit again and this time I will not cancel it. :)

@emmz0r Any update on this?

Yes after driving a different stretch this summer it "fixed" itself and of course the problem could not be reproduced during my service appointment :( They really tried too so I can't blame them, but I have pictures with time stamp as proof.

Now the problem has started to return again. I am in doubt whether it's software or hardware.

In combination with GPS speed limit logic, my car is abruptly slowing down hard, almost like a huge ghost brake, since it reads the wrong speeds constantly.

Yes after driving a different stretch this summer it "fixed" itself and of course the problem could not be reproduced during my service appointment :( They really tried too so I can't blame them, but I have pictures with time stamp as proof.

Now the problem has started to return again. I am in doubt whether it's software or hardware.

In combination with GPS speed limit logic, my car is abruptly slowing down hard, almost like a huge ghost brake, since it reads the wrong speeds constantly.

I’m having that intermittent fandom breaking during AP after MCU 2.0 upgrade. I think my GPS is off too which reads the wrong speed limit when I’m driving by other roads.

If your GPS is off, it will show on the map. It will drift and show you a somewhere different than you actually are, but moving in same direction and speed. It was pictures and videos showing that which proved it to my SC. Phantom braking would not be caused by this....because if it shows you on a different road with a different speed limit, you likely would not have NOA as you do on a highway. Don't confuse phantom breaking from radar returns with your MCU upgrade or your GPS. You need to take pictures and evaluate things. It is also possible what you are seeing (if on surface streets and using AP3 hardware) is the braking associated with approaching an intersection stop sign or traffic signal which has been well documented.