Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS issue since the past few weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S Plaid as well. Just scheduled my service appointment for 12/7 (almost 3 weeks :mad:).

LakeOTesla.jpg

Car was fine for over a year then this started within the last month or so. Autopilot, Cruise Control, Navigation and Home Link all useless. Hopefully I'm able to convince Tesla that their software update to enable the nanny cam caused this...

Last edited:
Reactions: boonedocks
Model S Plaid as well. Just scheduled my service appointment for 12/7 (almost 3 weeks :mad:).

View attachment 875439

Car was fine for over a year then this started within the last month or so. Autopilot, Cruise Control, Navigation and Home Link all useless. Hopefully I'm able to convince Tesla that their software update to enable the nanny cam caused this...
Mine started working again the next day, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

Reactions: boonedocks
Hello
I have a 2018 TM3 LR with no issues with GPS until a few weeks ago, at most, a month.
This happens intermittently, but regularly if that makes sense. It happens at least a couple of times daily when driving where it shows the car's current location off by anywhere between 50-500 ft or so.

2 scenarios:
1) When I am actually on a highway, the red arrow shows I am on the service/access/feeder road of the highway instead.
2) Sometimes, when I am on a city street heading northbound, red arrows would show on the same city, but on the other side (left) of the road, so it shows the red arrow moving against the flow of traffic!

This causes issues with navigation where it constantly asks me to merge onto the highway (scenario 1) or it asks me to take the next right and then left onto the city street I am already on. This is annoying and distracting...especially on the highway. More alarmingly and dangerous, on the highway, it would suddenly start braking since it thinks I am on the feeder road where the speed limit is obviously lower.

I have seen other posts where the more common issue with the GPS was that it was frozen in a particular location.
I did see a similar post that talks about the same issue I have been having:

Now, I have gone to Service and they have tried to tell me that the signal is being blocked by my windshield tint (which I doubt). They nevertheless replaced the GPS antenna but I still have the same issue.
I have scheduled another service apt, but should I push for them to look at the gyro/accelerometer?

Changes that have been made to the car this year: New windshield tint + sunroof tint. I can't imagine tint causing this issue, these are not some old-style metallic tints, these are top of the line ceramic tint from a very reputed tint installer that has done thousands of Tesla tints.

Has anyone had this exact issue and gotten a resolution/found the cause?

One day last week, for the whole day, I kept getting messages on the screen: 'Autosteer not available', 'Cruise Control not available', 'Automatic Emergency Braking not available', but they fixed themselves the next day. Not sure if these were/are related to the GPS issue which still happens daily.

Oh and I have already tried soft reboot a couple of times to no avail.
TIA
KG
And you have the latest software/firmware installed in your car?

Quick follow up - mobile service came out today and replaced my in cabin camera. Quick and easy, friendly and knowledgeable service tech, no drama. Very different from my other recent Tesla service experiences. All hope might not be lost for Tesla service after all!

I've taken the car out on a quick drive and I'm happy to report that the problem appears to be resolved. I'll follow up here if it comes back but I think this is case closed.

I have been in 6 times for the issue. They have replaced the harness, the glare shield, the camera, the harness body (right), the GPS antenna, the camera a second time.

Nothing has fixed the issue. The issue started when they replaced my windshield which had distortions. Thinking of lemon-ing the car as this will significantly impact the resale value.

The car is a 2022 Model S.

Quick follow up - mobile service came out today and replaced my in cabin camera. Quick and easy, friendly and knowledgeable service tech, no drama. Very different from my other recent Tesla service experiences. All hope might not be lost for Tesla service after all!

I've taken the car out on a quick drive and I'm happy to report that the problem appears to be resolved. I'll follow up here if it comes back but I think this is case closed.
Can you confirm you are not having issues anymore? I am feeling helpless.

Can you confirm you are not having issues anymore? I am feeling helpless.
Yes, no more gps issues since the camera was replaced. I was also having intermittent TPMS connectivity issues where a tire or two would stop updating sometimes and throw an error. That too was fixed by replacing the camera.

It definitely sounds like you’ve got some other problem besides the camera, but I don’t have any other good suggestions… Maybe have them try replacing the MCU? What’s odd is that it started with the new windshield. Maybe have them replace that again?

Lousy situation all around. You’ve got a solid lemon claim at this point, but you’d likely need a lawyer and might not be able to replace the car with another Tesla. They’re known to have been vindictive in the past… Good excuse to go lucid sapphire ;)

Reactions: n2mb_racing
I noticed this in my MYLR 2023 within the first week. It was on and off and mostly it as 100-200m drift. Recently I noticed 18km diff from my actual location to what gps was showing. Following up with SC to see what might be the cause.

I noticed it happens usually after I stop for a quick charging stop, maybe fast charging is causing something to malfunction.

I noticed this in my MYLR 2023 within the first week. It was on and off and mostly it as 100-200m drift. Recently I noticed 18km diff from my actual location to what gps was showing. Following up with SC to see what might be the cause.

I noticed it happens usually after I stop for a quick charging stop, maybe fast charging is causing something to malfunction.
They replaced my GPS antenna to solve this issue in my Plaid Model S.

got back from SC, they suggest its a prob with an ethernet cable that requires replacement. They dont have the part so suggested a mobile svc in a few weeks. I am not 100% convinced though based on the symptoms.
Anyone else had similar experience?

We’re still in our first week of owning a 23MYLR and have experienced this issue multiple times in the last couple days. Previously, it needed service due to the forward camera being misaligned, thus rendering autopilot (plus all dependent systems) inoperable. After that was fixed, we drove to my in-laws’ house, around 60 miles away, taking CA-91. With cruise control finally working after the fix, the GPS now regularly showed our location as several hundred feet off the road. Because of this, the set speed would randomly change from 70 to 45 instantaneously. This happened 3 times on the trip.

Just wanted to chime in and mention that the issue persists even in the newest deliveries.

We’ll definitely be using this thread to discuss the issue with our local service center. Thanks all who have provided guidance and insight!

I have the same since 26.9 In EU I think I have read that they starts to use the cabin camera ... On some turns im slighty drifting apart like 20-30m, then recenter in some time, happends also with higher speed. I checked my GPS coordinates from the car and they are indeed false..