Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS issue since the past few weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would it be intermittent and occur after 2 years of normal functioning? I’ve never replaced the front glass.
Didn't they just start rolling out cabin camera usage last year? It could be a recent update that rolled out the usage to more people (or expanded its usage).
https://www.notateslaapp.com/software-updates/version/2021.4.18.1/release
FSD didn't require it until V10.2 late last year.
Say goodbye to cabin camera covers - FSD Beta V10.2 requires camera to be uncovered

Reactions: Koolio46
I have a 2018 model 3 midrange on 2022.12.3.20

Scheduled service and day before scheduled time received:

Hello Matthew this is the Tesla Virtual Service team, we have finished our remote review of your vehicle and have verified that what you are experiencing is a known characteristic of the current firmware package and not the result of any faulted hardware. Our Service Engineering team are currently working on a remediation that when ready will be released in the form of an Over-The-Air(OTA) update. At this time an onsite visit is not necessary.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions prior to us closing this visit. Thank you!

2018 M3 midrange on FSD on 2022.12.3.20

Tried to take it in for scheduled service and received this the day before appointment.

Hello Matthew this is the Tesla Virtual Service team, we have finished our remote review of your vehicle and have verified that what you are experiencing is a known characteristic of the current firmware package and not the result of any faulted hardware. Our Service Engineering team are currently working on a remediation that when ready will be released in the form of an Over-The-Air(OTA) update. At this time an onsite visit is not necessary.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions prior to us closing this visit. Thank you!

2018 M3 midrange on FSD on 2022.12.3.20

Tried to take it in for scheduled service and received this the day before appointment.

That is interesting and frustrating as well. I first documented my GPS problems going back all the way to August of 2021. If Tesla maintains some sort of database of known issues they sure don’t do much in the way of sharing with their service techs. The service techs seem to be ignorant of any common problems or possibly they are just told not to divulge their knowledge. I have another service appointment scheduled and I’m starting to feel like it’s just a giant waste of my time. Takes me close to three hours just to get there.

Same symptoms started about 3 weeks ago for my May 2020 MY. Doesn't know where it is or what direction it is headed. I had to disable all of the automation (autopilot) and cannot use navigation. Car will try to come to a screeching halt on the freeway because it thinks it's on the frontage road and coming up to a cross street.

Even cruise control will panic and drop its speed from 70 to 25 in an instant. I am on 2022.12.3.20

Burlingame, California SC also says it's a known software issue but ordered a GPS antenna and will go from there.

Last edited:
Same symptoms started about 3 weeks ago for my May 2020 MY. Doesn't know where it is or what direction it is headed. I had to disable all of the automation (autopilot) and cannot use navigation. Car will try to come to a screeching halt on the freeway because it thinks it's on the frontage road and coming up to a cross street.

Even cruise control will panic and drop its speed from 70 to 25 in an instant. I am on 2022.12.3.20

Burlingame, California SC also says it's a known software issue but ordered a GPS antenna and will go from there.
Mobile service replaced my antenna. It did absolutely nothing.

Same issue with my model x. Service center in Santa Clara said they know the issue and will fix it. Maybe you can take the car over there

Does any automation work or do you need to disable everything, like autopilot and cruise control?
I don’t do a lot of highway driving so I don’t use auto pilot much. I have experienced phantom braking when it’s been on the highway. The car thinks it’s on a side road and checks the speed limit. I posted a video on YouTube that shows what happens when I try to use navigation. I don’t think I can include a link here. If you Google “Tesla GPS gone crazy” you will likely find it.

I don’t do a lot of highway driving so I don’t use auto pilot much. I have experienced phantom braking when it’s been on the highway. The car thinks it’s on a side road and checks the speed limit. I posted a video on YouTube that shows what happens when I try to use navigation. I don’t think I can include a link here. If you Google “Tesla GPS gone crazy” you will likely find it.
We have the same issue !

Fixed ! Replaced the cabin camera
Thanks for confirming what the fix is.

Started to have this issue occurs a few weeks ago (running latest version of FSD). Have a service appointment and they’re saying it’s FSD software related, and asked me to hit the snapshot button and record day and time it occurs so I can give it to them during the appointment. Now, I know to tell them to replace the cabin camera.

Thanks for confirming what the fix is.

Started to have this issue occurs a few weeks ago (running latest version of FSD). Have a service appointment and they’re saying it’s FSD software related, and asked me to hit the snapshot button and record day and time it occurs so I can give it to them during the appointment. Now, I know to tell them to replace the cabin camera.
The software update turns on the cabin camera. You didn’t have issue because that camera was not turned on before the software update. The camera EMI effects the gps. That’s what I heard from other people who had similar issue. Not sure if you have the same issue, there is always a chance it could not something else. But I hope this information helps

Reactions: Koolio46
I'm experiencing this problem as well. I've had GPS go off on rare occasions for years, but it's become more frequent recently. My typical 'failure mode' is that when I start a trip, the GPS position is accurate but then after each stop it drifts off for awhile and then snaps back eventually (in 10-30 minutes), before the next stop.

Is there a way to disable the cabin camera via some setting? I don't have autopilot, so it doesn't matter to me whether it would effect autopilot or FSD.

I'm experiencing this problem as well. I've had GPS go off on rare occasions for years, but it's become more frequent recently. My typical 'failure mode' is that when I start a trip, the GPS position is accurate but then after each stop it drifts off for awhile and then snaps back eventually (in 10-30 minutes), before the next stop.

Is there a way to disable the cabin camera via some setting? I don't have autopilot, so it doesn't matter to me whether it would effect autopilot or FSD.
Cabin camera should not be active unless you are using AP or FSD Beta. You can try disabling the data sharing, but I don't think that disables the camera.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Some people have taped over the camera or used a camera cover for privacy, but not sure if that affects anything.