Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS issue since the past few weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this message from my service advisor after giving him the time stamps of when I had the gps drift issue:

“The FSD team made some changes on the
backend that should go into effect in
a day or two automatically. You won't
see anything change on your end, but
you should be able to confirm the
behavior with the offset is no longer
present.”

I’ll know if it’s fixed in the next few days…

Got this message from my service advisor after giving him the time stamps of when I had the gps drift issue:

present.”

I’ll believe that when I see it… I have been sending them videos by email though.

4CC4C630-7E24-449C-ACAF-876E9FC1F21C.jpeg

Reactions: Koolio46

present.”

Update on my GPS drifting issue: the backend software update fixed the issue. Confirmed this on my drive 300 mile drive from Montreal to Boston yesterday.

I suspected the "fix" was to disable the cabin camera and I'm 99% certain that's what they did. With Autopilot engaged on the highway, I tested the cabin camera by pretending to use my phone, staring at the center screen for a few seconds, etc. and it never triggered the 'pay attention' warning. Before, it used to display it within a couple of seconds.

Let's hope they actually fix the hardware issue by replacing the cabin camera or applying the EMI shielding to the camera/cables...but I'm doubting we'll get any proactive notice (or recall) for it.

I took the car out twice yesterday - morning and evening - and the drift still was there. I just rebooted and am headed out in a few hours Will update this post if anything changes.

Aaannnnndddd… no luck for me. Still drifting into the dirt at 100 miles an hour.

Last edited:
I have not yet requested FSD Beta yet. I did select the option to record cabin activity in the event of an imminent accident several months back. I have not had any problems with GPS interference (that I am aware of). In my case, does the camera turned on anytime the car is in motion even though it is not monitoring my activity? or is the camera only turned on when the car thinks an accident is possible? My car is one month past the 4 year warranty period. Hopefully Tesla will cover this as goodwill if my car has this problem!

Update on my GPS drifting issue: the backend software update fixed the issue. Confirmed this on my drive 300 mile drive from Montreal to Boston yesterday.

I suspected the "fix" was to disable the cabin camera and I'm 99% certain that's what they did. With Autopilot engaged on the highway, I tested the cabin camera by pretending to use my phone, staring at the center screen for a few seconds, etc. and it never triggered the 'pay attention' warning. Before, it used to display it within a couple of seconds.

Let's hope they actually fix the hardware issue by replacing the cabin camera or applying the EMI shielding to the camera/cables...but I'm doubting we'll get any proactive notice (or) for it.
Tesla's current stand on a functioning cabin camera appears to be only for cover their ass at this point and not officially a safety feature. Now if this camera/GPS interference problem causes the car to perform erratic maneuvers the driver does not expect, would the NHTSA consider that a safety problem? I think safety issues might be covered beyond the manufactures warranty period? Thoughts?

Tesla's current stand on a functioning cabin camera appears to be only for cover their ass at this point and not officially a safety feature. Now if this camera/GPS interference problem causes the car to perform erratic maneuvers the driver does not expect, would the NHTSA consider that a safety problem? I think safety issues might be covered beyond the manufactures warranty period? Thoughts?
When gps drift occurred for me, I was always using navigation and happened to be on AP (on the highway, not surface roads using FSD). When it occurred, they car would beep, show the red steering wheel icon and ask you to take control. It never did an erratic move.

Did you ask someone to do this? Who/How did you ask?
Think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but it was all via text messaging via a scheduled appointment.

Specifically, I scheduled an appointment for the issue, then started getting messages from the service team asking me some questions, etc. I gave them feedback on when it occurred and hit the snapshot button. Then they said the engineering team will fix it via a backend software deploy.

Btw, when chatting in the Tesla app for a scheduled appointment, I wasn’t chatting with my actual Service advisor. It was some service team. In fact he didn’t even know what they did to fix it. I told him it was fixed and cabin camera was disabled.

So, seems like they have a central team that helps with service appointments and you may not be texting with the service advisor at your service center.

2018 RWD M3, GPS issue started about 5-6 months ago. For me it only happens when I first get into the car after it's been parked overnight. It takes 2-3 minutes to figure out where I am. Initially it stays frozen where I started, then jumps erratically to different locations several 100 meters away. Not super serious, but sometimes I don't know the way to where I'm going when I leave home (and live in DTLA) so it's certainly frustrating.

I also intermittently get CC/AP unavailable. CC works on any car ever made no matter what, so this one is particularly annoying.

My lease is about to expire so I never took it in. I was initially going to buy a new one thinking this was probably an issue with the older models, but sounds like some of you are having the same problem with the newer models. Will have to reconsider...

They finally fixed my issue! Apparently the satellite my gps was running off had some sort of issue. They switched me to a different satellite and I haven’t had any issues in the past month. Mine started in April this year. I am located in Northwest Florida.
What! I hope the Tesla employee who told you that does not go to work for SpaceX. The GPS sats are in a MEO orbit and orbit the earth twice per day. The system is designed where your car GPS car receiver should ideally see at least four Sats at any given time. Also, I could be wrong, but I do not believe the Tesla engineers have any access/control over the GPS constellation.

Last edited:
What! I hope the Tesla employee who told you that does not go to work for SpaceX. The GPS sats are in a MEO orbit and orbit the earth twice per day. The system is designed where your car GPS car receiver should ideally see four Sats at any given time. Also, I could be wrong, but I do not believe the Tesla engineers have any access/control over the GPS constellation.
They could add a given one to an exclusion list so that the car ignores that one even if it gets a signal from it. They can also set a preference system to prefer certain satellites. All this can be done on the receiver side. Not sure however car software has control of that.

They could add a given one to an exclusion list so that the car ignores that one even if it gets a signal from it. They can also set a preference system to prefer certain satellites. All this can be done on the receiver side. Not sure however car software has control of that.
I suppose it is possible Tesla could tell the receiver to ignore the signal for a GPS sat that is sending an erroneous signal. Maybe a GPS expert can chime in.

Methinks that iPhones and any other device that uses GPS also would fail.
If this is EMI related, it could be some have weaker signals, so with EMI, the data gets corrupted. One software way to mitigate this somewhat is to set a higher signal strength threshold. This would naturally exclude some satellites in certain locations, but would be less brute force (as it's possible when you drive somewhere else a previously excluded satellite has a stronger signal).

However, I think long term there needs to be a hardware solution (like more shielding for example).

When gps drift occurred for me, I was always using navigation and happened to be on AP (on the highway, not surface roads using FSD). When it occurred, they car would beep, show the red steering wheel icon and ask you to take control. It never did an erratic move.
Thanks for the clarifications. AFAIK, you can NOT enable FSD beta unless the camera is operational and not covered by tape? If true, this would imply to me that Tesla is using the camera as part of the overall safety of the FSD Beta autonomous driving system. Now that the NHTSA has formally requested information regarding how the cabin camera is being used, it might be possible the camera is considered a safety feature of the car in the future. I think the NHTSA can require car manufactures to cover safety items for ten years even though the bumper to bumper warranty is only four years? I will be requesting FSD Beta before the next time I drive my M3, wish I had done so before the four year warranty expired.

Thanks for the clarifications. AFAIK, you can NOT enable FSD beta unless the camera is operational and not covered by tape? If true, this would imply to me that Tesla is using the camera as part of the overall safety of the FSD Beta autonomous driving system. Now that the NHTSA has formally requested information regarding how the cabin camera is being used, it might be possible the camera is considered a safety feature of the car in the future. I think the NHTSA can require car manufactures to cover safety items for ten years even though the bumper to bumper warranty is only four years? I will be requesting FSD Beta before the next time I drive my M3, wish I had done so before the four year warranty expired.
That’s correct about FSD requiring the cabin camera…but I never tested it and it still works for me even though the camera seems to have been disabled via the backend server.

I’m sure at some point they’ll do a service bulletin to shield the cable or replace the cabin camera