Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS location stuck at one location; how to reset?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Background:
* 2017 X 100D -- upgraded to FSD from AP2.0 and to MCU2 from MCU1 at the same time about 1 month ago
* have been on 2020.36 for a couple days.
* I just left home without a nav dest set and was about 1/2 block away when I noticed that the arrow (my car) was not pointed the direction of travel and was off the road. Wierd. I've seen this before on my MCU1. I've done two finger reboot in the past and it was resolved (I don't recall if I was doing a traveling 2 finger before; or parked; or parked with brake held tho).
* Started 3-Sep-2020 at 11:22-11:31 per TeslaFI drive entry.
* Soonest mobile service was 15-Sep-2020 12p-4p

Things tried:
1) Tried 2 finger reboot while driving. Didn't fix.
2) Stopped and did 2 finger reboot while holding brake. Didn't fix.
3) Did Power Off while in seat for 2+ minutes. Didn't fix. (Does not power on with brake. I had to open the door.)
4) Did Power Off while not in seat for 5+ minutes. Didn't fix. (Does not power on with brake. I had to open the door.)
5) My-Location.Org in web browser shows same bad location as cars nav map.

Other things to try?!?!

Addition oddities:
* Joe Mode seems to be not working even tho it is enabled. Weird!!
* As noted my car will not start after a 'Power Off' via pressing the brake pedal. Have to open the door.
* Note that the display of stoplights no longer happen BUT the car will stop at stoplights.
* Scheduled charging at my 'home' location stopped and it immediately charges (expected based on GPS)
* Auto fold of mirrors at my 'home' location stopped working (expected based on GPS)
* Auto garage door up/down at my 'home' location stopped working (expected based on GPS)

I’ve never been able to restart from a “Power Off” by pressing the brake. I’ve had to open the door every time. Good luck with your problem.
Thanks for letting me know it was that way for others.

Potentially, I may unplug the 12v battery for X (2?) number of minutes to see if that will reset anything. Just a pain to get to as I tested my 12v several days ago (P100D X 12V battery dying in a car without any warning?). The service manual seems to indicate with you change the 12v battery out that you disconnect (unplug) the first responder loop after disconnecting the 12v neg terminal.

lXM6HRr.jpg

I think I was able to bring it back on with my brake when I had the MCU1 (vs my now upgraded MCU2) and with my previous 2016 X. The latest (AFAIK) manual of 2020.20 even indicated the brake works.

kj9PV0g.jpg

Had same issue after upgrade of MCU and AP HW. Service center needed to put in a new harness. Take it back to the service center ASAP before you get blamed for this
I did have some cell/lte connection issue (came unplugged) right after I did my MCU2 upgrade which was on June 12th (< 3 months but way longer than 'about 1 month' I mentioned above!). Not sure how long the warranty is for something like this (GPS). MCU2 is 1 or 2 years. I should just drive to the service center on Tue I guess to see if they could have a tech take a quick look, send some 'commands' to my car to reboot subsystems, or resend the latest 2020.36 OTA (does 'complete' reboot I would think) ... before I mess with the 12v unplugging.

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

I'm taking a roadtrip to my kids this Fri and would really like my navigation to work.

I ended up driving to my regular Tesla Service Center today. At first they said there was nothing they could do at this time and I would have to wait for my mobile appt which is the 9-15 (rem problem happened on 9-3.). I voiced my concern and frustration that I was taking a road trip and asked if tech could send a reset/reboot command to the areas in question (GPS module).

They ended up contacting a mobile tech and he called me on my drive home from the service center. Super nice guy and just wanted the details of what happened. He said when I get home to call him and he could try the command to reset the GPS system/module. He said they had more options and flexibility with MCU1 vs MCU2 (my current after upgrading).

* First attempt -- After getting home and calling him, he tried the reset and it didn't help. I even drove around the block which he said sometimes it takes for the GPS system to react.

* Next attempt -- He ended calling scheduling and they had an opening the next day due to canceling or whatever so they will come by to reset/reboot my whole car or just that system. I have sat in my old X while they brought up the service screen which allowed them to reset various subsystems (at the time it was a Bluetooth one).

I did ask him 'theoretically' if disconnecting the 12v battery would reset/reboot the entire system and he said *yes* (if you do the first responder loop as well). If they couldn't have gotten to me before my road trip, that is what I'd be doing right now!

I did ask him 'theoretically' if disconnecting the 12v battery would reset/reboot the entire system and he said *yes* (if you do the first responder loop as well). If they couldn't have gotten to me before my road trip, that is what I'd be doing right now!
UPDATE that is working again.
HOW? Well I saw on my appt tomorrow that the estimation was $140. Not sure if they would have comp'd it or not. I decided to disconnect the 12v battery (and first responder loop -- reverse order for reconnecting).
Once I started backing out of my garage a few feet the auto-fold mirrors folded (i.e. thought I was home). I had to go to flat area and hold a button down to calibrate the Falcon Wing Doors per a dialog msg after hooking up the 12v. Drove around the block and navigation worked as expected. Homelink worked when I arrived back at my garage.