Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS location wrong when car wakes up from sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This issues started a few firmware updates back on my Model X (MCU1). The gps/location is correct when I step out of the car. While not always, there is a high chance, when I return back to the car - or use the app to check the location of the car - and the car fell asleep in meantime and has to wake up - that the location is wrong. It's at a place I was earlier in the day - or from an earlier drive. It's like having short term memory loss ;) and the last location before going to sleep is not stored.

Workaround is easy - just start driving and after a few seconds the location fixes itself. Still annoying - and wondering if others have seen the same issue?

Most GPS receivers store the last good fix for use in acquiring satellites when they wake up so your experience suggests that the receiver did not have a good fix at the place and time it went to sleep. Are you parking in a metal garage or someplace where the view of the sky is obstructed?

The only funny business I have had with the GPS is after a couple of the software updates the car thinks it has been returned to the place of its birth. This also quickly resolves once it sees enough satellites to get a good fix.

The car is parked in the drive-way in front of the house - clear view to GPS satellites. Also noticed, when I reboot the MCU, it also goes to an previous location. To me this feel more like a file system issue, that some of the data written can't be read - or is corrupt - and it falls back to some older state it can read.

Given that the various reboots (MCU, dash, power-cycle) did not help - I tried the 'factory reset'.

Looking good so far - need a few more days to be sure it's good - I also noticed a few other issues that I had that so far haven't shown up

- sluggish google maps loading, sometimes with missing tiles. it's back to fast again
- energy graph in dash intermitted being empty. works ok now
- and GPS position wrong on wake-up (the topic of this thread).

Might have been the memory problem, where deleting "recent" navigation destinations and resetting the trip meters frees up a lot of memory and makes everything good again. Factory reset will do the same, but at the expense of erasing all of your custom settings.

Reviving this thread from 2019 😬...

I'm having this exact issue with my wife's Raven Model X (so MCU2 from the factory).

Since 2021.4.18.2, I've noticed the GPS location is spot-on while driving, but when we return back home and park 2 levels down in the underground parking at our apartment building, and after our Model X goes to sleep, each time we wake it up via the app or when we open the door to drive off somewhere, its location is incorrect. :mad:

If I keep checking the app while parked underground in order to stop it from going to sleep, the location is kept accurate, but as soon as the Model X goes to sleep and I get the "Waking up" message on the app, or if we open the door, the vehicle's location is set elsewhere.

Nearly instantly after the Model X exits the building and gets a clear view of the sky and is able to lock onto GPS signal, the location corrects itself and keeps itself corrected until we park again and the vehicle goes to sleep again.

As you can see from the image below, Smart Summon doesn't work, because the red arrow is placed on the location the vehicle is ACTUALLY sitting on (it's last location reported before loosing GPS signal), but then, it goes to sleep and the Model X thinks it's somewhere else, so it asks me to "Move closer to the vehicle" while I'm standing right next to it:

Screenshot_20210806-202640_Tesla.jpg

I thought this might get fixed with a software update, as each update uses the other side of the partition on the MCU, so we waited for 2021.12.25.7 but that didn't help.

I drive a 2017 Model S with the MCU2 upgrade, which is parked right next to the Model X, but my car doesn't have this issue. It always reports it's correct location, even while underground and after it wakes up.

I have tried:
*Removing the DashCam/Sentry USB drive.
*Countless double scroll wheel reboots.
*Changing the wheel size configuration back and forth.
*Done 2 Factory Resets...

But the problem still persists☹️.

I just have a fireman's loop and 12v battery disconnect left to try out.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the way the vehicle stores it's last location on the cache memory, which gets cleared while sleeping or it's recalled incorrectly after the vehicle wakes up. As you can read, I'm clearly not an expert on this... :rolleyes:

What am I missing?
Any suggestions before opening a service ticket with Tesla?

Last edited: