Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS map orientation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question...

I've had my M3 for 3 weeks now and finally drove someplace where I needed to use the GPS. I noticed that the map orientation doesn't change and it caused a bit of confusion.

I noticed that it always stays North up/ South Down. So when I was peaking at my next turn as I was heading south that it was left on my screen, but the actual turn was a right turn. Not a big deal, but it caused me to be in the wrong lane for the turn and we had to find a spot to turn around.

Other than that... the Navigation was great. I just had to listen and not look at the map.

Anyhow... is there a way to get it so the car arrow is always pointing up regardless of which direction I'm going so Rights/Lefts aren't reversed?

• Disagree
Reactions: BMWM3Man
I absolutely hate a map being in direction up mode. Spinning on to an interstate is a great example of not knowing where you are at or going as the map does a 270.
I guess each to his/her own. That's why we have choices. For me, my years flying got me used to moving maps on the GPSs in airplanes. Makes it easier for me to determine "Am I turning right or left up ahead?".

Dan

For me, my years flying got me used to moving maps on the GPSs in airplanes.
Every moving map I ever used in an airplane (mostly, various incarnations of Garmin equipment) had the same option: north up or track up.

In my opinion, track up gives a better tactical picture, while north up is more strategic. It all depends on how you're using the map.

Prior to V9, I can have map set to North Up when no route planned(nav off) and Driving Direction Up when in route navigation(nav on). However, after V9 update, you can only select North Up or Driving Up for both nav on/off. I really hope they can bring the capability to set two different map orientations when nav on and nav off......

Reactions: rtanov
Now, 2/15/2022 with version 2022.4.5.1, the compass icon is in the top LEFT of the screen and is covered by the directions when navigating so you cannot switch it from the default of North up. Quite irritating.
Tap the map, the list of directions will lower revealing the map orientation icon, then tap it until you get what you want. Tap the map again and the directions will move up.