Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Marker Stuck, Computer Replacement on 2 week old Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to share the issue we have had with my wife's brand new Model Y. This is our second Tesla. I have a 2020 Model 3 Dual Motor. We've only driven it 800 miles. The GPS marker is stuck at the last location. It will not move.

The car works as usual. These are what works.
  • Car is drivable
  • Odometer works
  • HVAC works
  • Turn signals
What doesn't work
  • GPS
  • Cameras
  • Lanes not drawn on the screen
  • Objects are detected as if it is still parked in the driveway. So as I'm driving there are red indicators of objects close to the car.
  • Cruise control/auto pilot
I have reset the screen twice by holding down the scroll wheels on the steering wheel twice. I turned off the car. Neither worked. I took it to the service center and they kept it for a day. They said it wasn't connecting to their network. They disconnected the 12V battery and reset the computer. When it came online, they say firmware updates that needed to be installed so they did.

I got the car back. The next morning it happened again. I took it back. This time they said they'll need to replace the computer. I'm on day 3 (second visit). I hope to get an update today. They gave me a gas loaner. I'm a little upset about the fuel cost. It's about $16 to "fill up" my Tesla at a super charger while the Audi Q5 I got will probably cost upwards of $60. I wouldn't mind the time as much if they were able to loan me another Tesla.

We've been using my Model 3. My family fits fine but we wanted a bigger vehicle, hence the Model Y. Hopefully, we get it back soon. I asked them if the issue is connection, by replacing the computer, is it also replacing the communication module? What if the computer is fine but it's the antenna/modem/network module (I don't know what it's called) is the issue. And that's a different computer outside the computer. Wouldn't it not solve the issue? Just sharing my thoughts. Maybe someone out there can chime in on how this stuff works.

We got the car mid-August with last six VIN 2479XX.

My 2021 Model Y is at the Brooklyn, NY service center right now having the computer replaced for this very same issue. I am glad to see I am not the only one. I can't believe they released so many defective new cars. What are our options?
sadly, quality control has been a known issue with tesla. even more so as of late.

i was updated today. they have replaced the computer but they are still getting the same errors in their system. the advisor has contacted enterprise to see if they can swap the audi q5 to an EV (hopefully tesla). we're leaving on a trip. luckily i can just take my model 3 if they have none to swap. they don't work on the weekends so they won't continue to work on it until monday if they can't fix it today.

my suggestion is to log the days and conversations you have with date/time. i'm not really sure what options we have. if you are leasing or financing, keep track of the interest that you are charged/paying during the days you don't have your vehicle. again, i'm not sure what can be done but at least you have it handy just in case they can reimburse for things. we paid cash for our model y. but we are tracking the gas expense on the loaner. they initially said they don't cover gas but i track it anyway.

i have a good friend who's a lawyer and we've been talking. he has a model y he got a few months ago and has ordered another one coming at the end of the month. he's familiar with owning a tesla. he hasn't really said anything regarding any actions to take but to keep him posted.

are our vin numbers close? curious if they had a bad batch.

The issue has been resolved. Here is the Service Invoice for the repair.

Concern: Customer states: navigation marker is stuck at home address, GPS and Cameras are inoperative again.
Verified customer concern, Found fault for turbo A, performed electrical testing, found turbo A source dropping from 12.6v to 2.3v. Found internal electrical fault front body controller. Removed and replaced front body controller. Performed electrical testing, found constant 12v to turbo a. test drove vehicle, found car computer turbo a mia. Sequential damage to car computer. Removed and replaced car computer, performed initial start up, verified repairs, operation normal at this time.
Correction: General Diagnosis

Concern: Customer states : navigation marker is stuck at home address, GPS and Cameras are inoperative again.

Verified customer concern, Found fault for turbo A, performed electrical testing, found turbo A source dropping from 12.6v to 2.3v. Found internal electrical fault front body controller. Removed and replaced front body controller. Performed electrical testing, found constant 12v to turbo a. test drove vehicle, found car computer turbo a mia. Sequential damage to car computer. Removed and replaced car computer, performed initial start up, verified repairs, operation normal at this time.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part
TLA,AP3.2.CAR.COMP,NA

PROVISIONED(1775000-S0-K)

Correction: Module - Body Controller - Front (Dual Motor) (Remove & Replace)

ASY. FRONT CONTROLLER GEN 3{1583991-01-C)

The way they explained is the current powering the computer was unstable. Even when they replaced the computer, the problem kept happening. They replaced the body controller and now it seems to be working.

Hope this helps others who may have a similar issue. I have included the part numbers and notes the tech provided.

We didn't have the car for about a week. They gave us a non-Tesla loaner. Ended up using my Model 3 for our little trip. This experience is unfortunate but when we picked up the car, we ended up ordering a Model X haha. Planning to trade in my Model 3 for it. 7 month wait so I get to continue to enjoy my 3 until then.

Great you got the problem fixed.

It's definite not a good feeling to have such a problem on a brand new car and to have 2 service visits to fully address it. But on the positive side, they fixed the issue for you, with a relatively short (in comparison to the normal expectation of Tesla's service) turnaround time. It is not uncommon to hear about repairs waiting for weeks (sometimes even months) for just part order.

I would probably have nothing to complain about an Audi Q5 loaner, either. Nowadays most Tesla services just give you daily Uber credits. It is actually a nice gesture that the SC gave you a premium loaner.

Great you got the problem fixed.

It's definite not a good feeling to have such a problem on a brand new car and to have 2 service visits to fully address it. But on the positive side, they fixed the issue for you, with a relatively short (in comparison to the normal expectation of Tesla's service) turnaround time. It is not uncommon to hear about repairs waiting for weeks (sometimes even months) for just part order.

I would probably have nothing to complain about an Audi Q5 loaner, either. Nowadays most Tesla services just give you daily Uber credits. It is actually a nice gesture that the SC gave you a premium loaner.
yes, i think we were fortunate with how long it took plus they found the problem. when i heard they had to replace the computer i was very concerned with all the shortages. but the service rep took time to explain the process. they had the parts available "nearby". it didn't initially fixed the problem but they got to the bottom of it.

after driving a tesla almost exclusively for 2 years, i just can't drive gas cars anymore - regardless of what it is. tesla approved "luxury" rental at enterprise. my wife wanted to take the maserati quattroporte. i didn't want it for the gas. i chose a similarly sized vehicle as our Model Y which was the Q5. we didn't use it much. we ended up just using my Model 3 while we waited. she doesn't like using it because it's "too low" to the ground and has difficulty getting in and out of the car. one the main reasons we're trading it in for the Model X.

even with a rough experience of our new Model Y, it doesn't change my perspective with tesla. just luck of the draw i guess.

Picked up my MYP yesterday (24Sep) and having the same issues you described. I’ve tried all the resets except disconnecting the 12v. I ended up swinging by the service center today since it’s close and they took the car back for a quick look but said I’ll have to schedule an appt since the service team was leaving. Almost wanted to say “I don’t care, this is a brand new car so you can stay and fix it.” My sales advisor said she’s going to talk to the service manager and see if they can make an appt for me on Monday since the current soonest appt is 11Oct.

Otherwise the car is great, but pretty ridiculous that this is an issue in the first place. I’m afraid I’ll have to go through the same computer replacement.

My 2021 Model Y is at the Brooklyn, NY service center right now having the computer replaced for this very same issue. I am glad to see I am not the only one. I can't believe they released so many defective new cars. What are our options?
Supply chain issues, especially with electronics, are endemic throughout the auto industry now. This is a part failure. No component will have 100% reliability in the fleet. Warranties exist to replace bad parts as well as to adjust defects in manufacture. The aggravating part to the owner is the diagnostic steps, requiring multiple visits and inconvenience. No way around that, I guess. Tesla has adjusted/repaired both of my cars, just as they have done with yours. I'm satisfied that my experience has been a reasonable one. In reality, the ownership experience is a cooperative one between the user and the manufacturer. In a way it's been a pioneering experience with Tesla. Wishing you a happy experience going forward. Enjoy the car. Cheers.

Reactions: CapsEngineer