Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS / Navigation off by miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see any threads specifically with this issue so I thought I'd post here.

Has anyone had this issue? About 3 days out of the week, my navigation is mis-calibrated, thinking I'm somewhere else. I've already talked with the SC multiple times, and they would "have a technician check the logs" and it'd be fixed for a week or two, then it would go back to having issues. Resetting both screens multiple times doesn't help.

For your entertainment...

Here it is thinking I'm in the middle of the Bay. I ended up supercharging and it now thinks there's a "charger" at this location.... in the ocean.
IMG_5910.JPG

And I'm now in the mountains a few miles south off of my location:
IMG_5998.JPG

And I'm now inside the Oakland airport!
IMG_5957.JPG

And today was special. Today, I was far West in the Pacific ocean. So far out that it told me "You're now too far from any known charging stations."
IMG_6021.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6021.JPG
    IMG_6021.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5957.JPG
    IMG_5957.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5998.JPG
    IMG_5998.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5910.JPG
    IMG_5910.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Funny
Reactions: Ben W
Do you have anything like a dash cam or other device in the car? I had that issue today after installing an dash cam. I found that the cable powering the camera was interfering with the GPS signal and had frozen me about 10 miles from my actual location. Sometimes it would track me off to the side of the road I was traveling on.

Today my Model S navigation had me in the Hudson river......way off my real location. Called support. They advised to reboot by holding down the right and left wheels. Did not fix the location. Support contacted the service center and they were told there is a firmware issue which should be corrected in a few days.

I drive in the Tacoma/Seattle area. The estimated arrival time is very off during rush hour. I wonder why Tesla hasn't improved this yet? Maybe there is not enough cars on the road (I thought they used google data?) The map shows lots of traffic but the time estimate is horribly off. Today driving from Tacoma to Bellevue, it was off by 1.25 hours. Google predicted my time of estimate accurately to within 5 minutes. Does anyone else notice this?

I didn't see any threads specifically with this issue so I thought I'd post here.

Has anyone had this issue? About 3 days out of the week, my navigation is mis-calibrated, thinking I'm somewhere else. I've already talked with the SC multiple times, and they would "have a technician check the logs" and it'd be fixed for a week or two, then it would go back to having issues. Resetting both screens multiple times doesn't help.

For your entertainment...

Here it is thinking I'm in the middle of the Bay. I ended up supercharging and it now thinks there's a "charger" at this location.... in the ocean.
View attachment 106538

And I'm now in the mountains a few miles south off of my location:
View attachment 106539

And I'm now inside the Oakland airport!
View attachment 106540

And today was special. Today, I was far West in the Pacific ocean. So far out that it told me "You're now too far from any known charging stations."
View attachment 106541

I had this problem a while back. Nothing could be fixed remotely. Eventually my Service Center had to replace some hardware to fix it, including, as the previous post notes, the tailgate window. I'll see if I can find the the service record that provides details about what was replaced.

Navigation still not working this morning. Additionally would not accept new destination. On returning home this afternoon, navigation was NOW working correctly. Don't know if firmware fix occurred or navigation self corrected. Cant wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Navigation still not working this morning. Additionally would not accept new destination. On returning home this afternoon, navigation was NOW working correctly. Don't know if firmware fix occurred or navigation self corrected. Cant wait to see what happens tomorrow.

This was my experiince. It would work and then not work. At one point it had me in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean about where the Titanic sank:)