Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS off location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kech

May 28, 2022
canada
I just took delivery of my first tesla. Decide to take it for a drive last night and the GPS was off its location. I thought it will recalibrate as I drive but it never did. I tried soft resetting didn't work. Later on I tried to turn power off then back on still no good. Next morning now and it's still quite a bit off. Any advice ?

I have a 2021 MSP. Twice in the last two weeks I've had the GPS show way off or frozen. I do park inside, and this only happens after car has sat for a few days. After driving for 15-30 minutes, both times the GPS corrected back to normal good position. Resets and even power off, were of no help.

I just took delivery of my first tesla. Decide to take it for a drive last night and the GPS was off its location. I thought it will recalibrate as I drive but it never did. I tried soft resetting didn't work. Later on I tried to turn power off then back on still no good. Next morning now and it's still quite a bit off. Any advice ?
Did you get the issue resolved? I have the same issue

I have not experienced it in the car, but this happens every time on my boat. We keep it under a metal roof in a wet slip and with the entire boat powered off, there is no way for the GPS to receive signals and fix its position. Even when I fire up the power, the metal roof blocks most of the GPS signals, and only the ones lowest to the horizon are received. When a GPS loses lock on satellites, it must reacquire them, and it relies on a table that calculates where they should be when it searches to reacquire. I'm not sure how many satellites Tesla needs to fix its position, but my boat requires at least six locked on to display position. Until that happens, it only approximates where it thinks it is located. Depending on how long it has been since it last acquired a fix of position with a lock on enough satellites, sometimes mine is off by a few hundred to a thousand feet - a significant error of position. I recall one time we were docked at a Hilton Head Island SC marina, and the GPS showed my position right in the middle of the Golf Course's 18th hole on the putting surface ready to make a birdie! We were about a thousand feet away floating in the harbor.

Using it as a navigation tool in tight situations, accuracy is critical but not as critical as in a car mapping the road - that requires extremely high precision by the GPS. Just be patient while it re-acquires enough satellites to fix your position. The more it can lock onto, the more accurate your position. I don't know what the resolution of the Tesla GPS is, but my boat's GPS is less than a 1-meter error of position once it has 8 or 9 satellites acquired. If this problem occurs with regularity and your car is not kept under cover for prolonged periods, I would check into a service ticket to see if the GPS is somehow powered off when it should stay powered on.