Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Position Stuck??!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I had another navigation system glitch. A different kind. This time a picture of the exit ramp got stuck on the instrument cluster for a few minutes. The map on the Touchscreen and the voice announcement continued to work correctly, and the instrument cluster was operating normally in other respects. I didn’t have to restart it. It recovered on its own a few minutes later. Has anyone experienced this?
(Still on 2017.38)

I just installed update 2017.40.1 last night, and what happened when I drove out of my garage this morning? The GPS was stuck in my garage. I had to park to shut down the car for 3 minutes so I could use Autopilot on my commute.

My Model S has already been in for a service appointment for this issue, which resulting in the resetting/update of some firmware.
I had the same issue after the 2017.40 update, a stuck GPS. I tried the usual reboot and power off to no avail. This is the 2nd time I’ve had this issue on my 2 week old S.

Interestingly, since nothing else worked, I tried simply closing out the map and relaunching it. That worked immediately! A coincidence? I won’t be able to tell until the next GPS freeze, which will probably occur sooner than later.

It would be nice if the interim fix is nothing more than closing and relaunching the map.

Had another case of stuck GPS this afternoon. Tried closing and reopening the navigation app, rebooting both displays, even turning off the car power - nothing helped. As if the GPS was broken. So I called Tesla customer service and they fixed it for me right away! They said it’s a known issue that they are working on. A remote GPS reset takes care of it in seconds. Not sure for how long though. But I am glad they are aware of the issue. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

I had the same issue after the 2017.40 update, a stuck GPS. I tried the usual reboot and power off to no avail. This is the 2nd time I’ve had this issue on my 2 week old S.

Interestingly, since nothing else worked, I tried simply closing out the map and relaunching it. That worked immediately! A coincidence? I won’t be able to tell until the next GPS freeze, which will probably occur sooner than later.

It would be nice if the interim fix is nothing more than closing and relaunching the map.

I am having this issue on MX. Curious how you “closed out the map” then relaunched. Simple as bringing another app into the foreground?

I am having this issue on MX. Curious how you “closed out the map” then relaunched. Simple as bringing another app into the foreground?
I have had it happen a few times. If you call normal telephone support and get the right person they can easily send a reset OTA. They will ask for normal stuff like reboot witch will not work but once you get the right person they will have you power offf and they will send something to reset your gps and all will be good.

Reactions: Omid23
Interesting that the 0N0W position happens often enough to show on the Tesla Carbon Impact map.
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 3.57.13 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: James*
I have the same problem on a S100D which is 30 days old. It happened first last week on the way to holidays, upon departure the GPS was stuck on our home location, and rebooting had no effect. We charged at a supercharger for lunch, and after this the GPS was working again.

One week later, on the way back, same story. GPS stuck for a 300km trip, and working again the next day.

I called the SC each time when the GPS was stuck, they acknowledged the issue remotely. They will likely ask me to go to the SC. To be continued...

Doing a trip without the GPS is quite painful : no recharge planner, no autosteer (as it is stuck to 50km/h), no speed limit warning, ...

I have the same problem on a S100D which is 30 days old. It happened first last week on the way to holidays, upon departure the GPS was stuck on our home location, and rebooting had no effect. We charged at a supercharger for lunch, and after this the GPS was working again.

One week later, on the way back, same story. GPS stuck for a 300km trip, and working again the next day.

I called the SC each time when the GPS was stuck, they acknowledged the issue remotely. They will likely ask me to go to the SC. To be continued...

Doing a trip without the GPS is quite painful : no recharge planner, no autosteer (as it is stuck to 50km/h), no speed limit warning, ...
As I stated earlier it is pretty easy and fast to have them reset your GPS over the air. I have had this issue on my way to the freeway for a trip. I just pulled off the road and called them to have it fixed in a few minutes OTA.

This again happened recently after upgrading to 2018.12. I called and they said they have a special team that can reset my GPS. I was aware of this but thought why not ask for a new firmware download at the same time (sounded like a good excuse) but they would only reset the GPS. However, the guy on the phone said this issue is fixed in 2018.14 (with new Nav). So I said, well then that is a good reason to get me on 2018.14 since I have the problem. Again, he said no. Anyway, I got .14 about 1 week after that and now I am on .16. I have not seen the problem since but it seldom happens so not sure.

I had the problem recently and I think I was on 2018.14 already at the time. They were so interested in why it was happening that the service center replaced my Autopilot computer and sent the old one back to engineering to examine... I think they still haven't figured out why this is happening in some cars.

The only solution so far is to shut down the car for some time, typically 30 minutes. It has been reported on model X also. A short shutdown (couple of minutes) does not work.

Back to the time the passenger has to do the copilot :(
OR... Call Tesla and ask them to send a reset of your GPS OTA. It takes about < 5 minutes normally.

1. Call Tesla
2. They will ask you to POWER OFF your car,
3. Tesla will send a GPS RESET Signal OTA
4. Press your break to restart your car.
5. GPS now working find.

This has happened to be 5-6 times since I got my MS Sept. 2017. First couple times they did not have or know about the options to reset GPS OTA. Since the first time they did that I have been pro-active to get them to do it.

This just happened to me this weekend. They offered me the option to take my car into the service center to have the New .18 firmware installed (since it has happened too many times recently). They said it takes 1/2 day. I was told .18 is a major version. I am not convinced this will solve the problem. I was told something similar about .14. But this is the first time they offered the option to take it in for a firmware update (and I did ask before). Anyway, I do not have time this week to drop it off so I just had them reset the GPS. With .18 being a pretty major roll out (it appears) maybe I will get it OTA this week anyway.

Been fighting with issues like this ever since the 9.0 software update. Maybe it's software. Maybe it's hardware and just a coincidence. But I had 4 of these over the life of the car (maybe once per year) and then after 9.0, happens every other day. Have an open ticket with Tesla, been calling them for about a month with timestamps and behavior. SC had it for 4 days, didn't find any hardware issue.

Been fighting with issues like this ever since the 9.0 software update. Maybe it's software. Maybe it's hardware and just a coincidence. But I had 4 of these over the life of the car (maybe once per year) and then after 9.0, happens every other day. Have an open ticket with Tesla, been calling them for about a month with timestamps and behavior. SC had it for 4 days, didn't find any hardware issue.

What model do you have, and is it HW1, HW2, or HW2.5?

My ticket has been open for weeks and was pushed up the chain to the engineering/diagnostic department. I just got the call back. Had an interesting conversation.

A week ago when I was driving while I was on the phone with tesla support, it was behaving and the GPS was tracking and then it would freeze freezing, or it would lock position and then start to deviate off the road. The tech on the phone was saying things like "it sees 14 satellites and is using 10 of them".

After I hung up with them last week, the GPS position stopped, froze and has been stationary all week. Fast forward to today, the "higher level tech" guy was talking to me saying they were able to diagnose the problem and it appears to be a hardware failure. I mentioned the previous tech was telling me how many satellites the car saw, and asked him how many it saw now. He said "I don't know why that other tech would tell you that. You shouldn't know that. Why would they say that? Who was it? It was probably a new tech. I'm going to use your feedback to train our call techs"

Ok, that seemed weird. But my car's position has been stuck in 1 location for a week. I asked how many satellites it saw, now. He said that it saw 11 and was using 9 or whatever. Also that it should be tracking fine on the screen right now. I said it wasn't. He said, well that means it's a hardware failure. The service center needs to see it again to replace a GPS part. I asked which one, and he said it was hard to say till the SC diagnoses the real failure.

If they can remote into the car, and the car sees satellites and is "using" a large number of them for position, and the position on the map doesn't move, that tells you that it's a hardware failure? He said "look, it's just the way GPS works".

• Informative
Reactions: rnortman
My car has been doing this for 2+ months. I have had four visits to the SC (1 mobile), with gyroboards replaced and SD card replaced. After the last visit, my turn by turn stopped working, the marker works occasionally but still freezes. I am scheduled for my 5th visit Tuesday, and the SC stated they needed my car 1-2 weeks.

My car has been intermittently losing GPS since V9.
The latest behaviour is that whenever I park the car for more than say 30 min. GPS would be stuck for about 3-5min. into the drive, then it will work.

I have root on my car, so I'm able to check logs etc. and there is nothing abnormal in the logs. I do believe though that they changed something with V9 where the GPS is turned off completely after a while when parked, which causes a significant delay to getting a position fix when turned back on again. Can't know for sure though...