Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Position Stuck??!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my model S last Wednesday and everything has worked perfectly. Yesterday we took it on a family outing- first the car wouldn't recognize the key fob so I had to start the car from the app on my phone. Then, ever since, the cars GPS position has been stuck in that same spot. I have done two resets with no resolve. Anyone else have this problem?

Do you mean the map isnt moving? Did you reorient it? In the top right there is a icon to change the view.. try that. And by reboot you held both buttons on the steering wheel down? I had the reorientation issue after i was playing with my map., but pressing the view resolved it for me.

Yes I held both buttons on steering wheel down and rebooted the main screen as well as the driver panel. I pushed the reorientation button several times and tried to navigate to a random destination. It just navigates me from where the car is on the map. It also shows on my app that it is still in the same place even though it is plugged in at my house right now.

Yes I held both buttons on steering wheel down and rebooted the main screen as well as the driver panel. I pushed the reorientation button several times and tried to navigate to a random destination. It just navigates me from where the car is on the map. It also shows on my app that it is still in the same place even though it is plugged in at my house right now.

Just started having the same problem today, and tried everything you tried. Have you found a fix?

Just started having the same problem today, and tried everything you tried. Have you found a fix?
Try a "power off" from the touchscreen, let the car sit off for about 2 minutes (or more) before you press the brake pedal to turn the car back on. If that doesn't work call tesla technical support @ 877.798.3752. The power off from the touchscreen is a "deeper" reboot than the scroll wheel reboot. Tech support will be able to help if the reboots don't work.

• Funny
Reactions: njxman
Had the same issue - Twice. Took delivery on my S in September 2017. First time this happened, I called support and they said they would dial in and fix it. They said were going to remotely restart a module. After their restart, I was told that I would need to initiate a second restart (hold down both buttons on rhe steering wheel) and then wait about 45 minutes. Very hokey. It did however fix the issue. Sadly, this just happened to me again. The vehicle is just stuck on the GPS map. I restarted (again, holding down both buttons on the wheel) but no joy. More interestingly (and annoyingly) the speed limit sign on my dash says the speed is 30 (based I suspect on the GPS location) so now autopilot wont engage on the highway that I am on now. Called service - waiting to hear back.

Had the same issue - Twice. Took delivery on my S in September 2017. First time this happened, I called support and they said they would dial in and fix it. They said were going to remotely restart a module. After their restart, I was told that I would need to initiate a second restart (hold down both buttons on rhe steering wheel) and then wait about 45 minutes. Very hokey. It did however fix the issue. Sadly, this just happened to me again. The vehicle is just stuck on the GPS map. I restarted (again, holding down both buttons on the wheel) but no joy. More interestingly (and annoyingly) the speed limit sign on my dash says the speed is 30 (based I suspect on the GPS location) so now autopilot wont engage on the highway that I am on now. Called service - waiting to hear back.

Powering off in settings also did not help. On my way to service.

Had the same issue.

First time they replaced the GPS antenna in the hatch.
Second time they replaced the connectivity board and the gyro on the MCU (though it would drift as well as get stuck, so it might be a slightly different problem).

I had a similar issue for about 24 hours, during which a call to tech support, multiple reboots, and a software upgrade had no effect on the problem. During that time I made a service appointment to have someone fix this, but between then and the appointment time, the problem mysteriously fixed itself. I kept the appointment anyway because I piggybacked an annual service on top of it...they took my narrative and some screenshots from my phone and went to go troubleshoot things. I'll find out more when I pick the car up tomorrow.

Bruce.

PS. It was interesting to me what things were broken as a side-effect of a stuck GPS position, most notably the geo-fenced charging and SAS settings. Kind of obvious in hind-sight, but made for a bit of head-scratching at the time.

I had this happen shortly after taking delivery of our S75D in mid Jan. 2017. I tried rebooting both screens with no success. I called roadside assistance, but they couldn't fix it. I called the Paramus SC where the service adviser said they would pull the logs and get back to me. This took several days. In the mean time, the problem resolved itself. the explanation was that the GPS signal was lost. the problem never recurred. I thought it might be a hardware failure, but I was wrong.

Here's the note on my frozen then unfrozen GPS after getting the car back from service:

"Verified customer's concern through log data. Found a software error in the media control unit, performed firmware update to the media control unit then tested and verified concern is repaired. Vehicle is now operating as designed."

For the record I was on 17.26.17 when the problem started, I updated to 17.34.2448cfc in the middle of this, and the version the service center installed is 17.36.1b27c6d.

Bruce.

This happened on my car repeatedly and frequently a few years ago. They had to replace the GPS antenna module. One time, the car was shown on the equator in Africa pointing exactly South, iirc. It still happens on rare occasions, but I think it's a S/W bug.

This happened on my car repeatedly and frequently a few years ago. They had to replace the GPS antenna module. One time, the car was shown on the equator in Africa pointing exactly South, iirc. It still happens on rare occasions, but I think it's a S/W bug.
That's definitely not a software bug. The GPS shouldn't randomly reset to 0,0.

Someone here had the same problem, it turned out to be the gyro behind the MCU going haywire.

This just happened on our brand-new S75D, just a few days after delivery, firmware 2017.36 1b27c6d. Car shows wrong location both in the car and on the phone app. Rebooting 17" screen did not help. Rebooting the driver screen did work, though it may have just been a coincidence. Will call support/service if it happens again and update the thread here.

That's definitely not a software bug. The GPS shouldn't randomly reset to 0,0.

Someone here had the same problem, it turned out to be the gyro behind the MCU going haywire.

I wasn't clear. The 0,0 issue only happened once, before the hardware was replaced. The GPS location freezing/locking does still happen on occasion though. But it usually resolves itself after a few minutes.

Reactions: Max*
I just took delivery of my S90D one week ago and three days ago my GPS got stuck. Turning off the power for 3 minutes then holding down both scroll wheels until the T showed on the screen fixed it. Then the AC stopped working and I just got the Battery Chiller replaced today to fix that. Then the GPS got stuck again and resetting the computers didn't fix it. It sounds like it's an antenna issue or something and I have yet another service appointment on Friday.

My friend also just got a new S90D delivered and he has a stuck passenger side door handle that needs to be replaced. He also smells a strong burnt motor smell.

This better not continue to be the brand new Tesla ownership experience.

Sadly, this had happened again. Screen resets do nothing. Most annoyingly, the problem affects AutoPilot as speed is reduced for the incorrect location speed limit vs the highway. Service appt scheduled. This issue also affects the in car browser which I set to use waze - qtes.la/waze and wont load becuase, presumably, it can’t properly determine the current location. Gut says GPS antenna and the nav caches the last location but browser does not.

Attachments

• 4E7105F9-9C0B-4100-8FF1-CC82086EDCFB.jpeg
    4E7105F9-9C0B-4100-8FF1-CC82086EDCFB.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 261