Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Position Stuck??!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found this thread. I posted in the Tesla quality... Sigh thread, here is what I said:

For all the people who are saying Tesla will take care of you, I've had the opposite experience.

I took delivery 2 weeks ago. My GPS has been failing multiple times for periods upwards of 8-12 hours. I initially called the phone number and was told that they would have engineering look at the logs and call me back. Never received a call. Took it to the service center because, in addition to the GPS issue, I had an error (steering assist reduced). Since it resolved itself, the techs said they would look at the logs and call me the next day. Never called.

Took it back to the service center after it failed multiple times again, and they said "sorry we didn't call you back, the techs found nothing in the logs." Now they wanted me to keep track of the times, dates, and locations it fails. I'm sorry, what? I gave them video proof of what was happening, I submitted bug reports while it happened, and they can't find anything in the logs and now they want me to simply keep track of the times it fails? I straight up told them I researched the issue and it's most likely a loose connection or a bad GPS unit, but they still refused to take the car to service it. They asked me to give them a couple days to review the latest logs.

All this in addition to the fact that my car was not delivered with the three-point adaptive headlights. I emailed my OA and DS and they never responded. I went through the "executive escalation" feature and they said they will look into it and contact me when they have an answer.

It seems that no matter what I do, I just get a "we will contact you" and then never get contacted.

It's an amazing vehicle, but come on, people are paying $70-140k and this is the service we get?

FYI, after submitting multiple bug reports and working with my Service Center, they've confirmed there is a firmware bug with the new autopilot hardware. So, if you took delivery of your car recently and have AP 2.5, and have this bug, then you have to wait for new firmware to fix the bug. He also confirmed the way to reset the bug (and why it resolves itself) is to let the car go into a deep sleep.

I have owned my MS for four years now, and so far I have been treated well enough by service (Fremont mostly, Sunnyvale a couple of times). However, when I call them for something and they say they will call me back, they never ever do. So much so that I have learned to hear "we'll call you back" as "call us again later to check". The only time they really call me is when they have my car in for service, and they have an update. Even that they have failed to do a few times. But again, I haven't had any major issues with service itself though.

YMMV, but I always recommend fellow Tesla owners to not take "we'll call you" literally, unfortunately.

Also, "we will check the logs" has never yielded any meaningful results for me yet. I mean I have never seen any tangible evidence that the logs were of any benefit. Of course, I am sure for some scenarios logs must be helpful, but it is clear to me that in many obvious scenarios where you might expect the logs to make a day-night difference, they are not. Either there is not enough logging in the code, or they just don't bother in many cases.

Last edited:
FYI, after submitting multiple bug reports and working with my Service Center, they've confirmed there is a firmware bug with the new autopilot hardware. So, if you took delivery of your car recently and have AP 2.5, and have this bug, then you have to wait for new firmware to fix the bug. He also confirmed the way to reset the bug (and why it resolves itself) is to let the car go into a deep sleep.
Good to know. Our S75 is approx 3 weeks old. GPS froze up, called service with no luck. Wife drove the car out of town next morning, GPS working just fine. Texted her the service number and they actually called her to confirm all was working. I have also noted on teslafi where it may not have any LAT, LONG info on some legs. Thanks for the heads up on the firmware.

I was away backcountry camping for a few days and just got back late last night. There is a firmware update waiting for me this AM and no talk of it on line. My model S arrived in Sept 2017 and the dealer has confirmed it is running AP 2.5. Perhaps this update is for this GPS issue?

Weird. Same thing happened to me this past week. I wonder if it's related to the recent upgrade. I've tried EVRYTHING I've found on the forums (Hard reset, soft reset, dashboard reset, etc.) The in-car nav and app show the car in my driveway no matter where it is, but the app DOES show speed, so that's super weird (I was at home and my wife was driving when I checked the app). I also have the "Driver assistance features unavailable" message. I'm waiting for a call from the SC tomorrow.

Had the problem today 10/1/2017. Picked up m car on 9/28/2017. Updated to Firmware 2017.38.f87c64d5.
AP2.5 (got email about emergency braking).

Called Roadside Assistance 877-798-3752 and we rebooted both screens multiple times with no help.

A few hours later it just started working. My wife was playing with the maps and I notice it was working. Not idea what fixed it. The maybe only set for 1-2 hour.

My steps were I used navigation this morning from a location I normally do not drive from and to get to my mother-in-laws house. When I left there I used Navigation to find a Supercharger about 8 miles aways. But the speed limit for the street I was on was wrong so autopilot restricted me to a lower speed. Then I notice my navigation was not working. Then I notice my cars location was back at my mother-in-laws house. Also, same on my iPhone App.

My current location on my iPhone App is my house. Hope to get new firmware soon if that is indeed the problem.

I had this problem (again) this morning, firmware 2017.38. I didn't notice at first that the GPS was out, just that cruise control refused to activate, which I hadn't seen before. I rebooted both screens, no use. I called tech support, they couldn't see anything and said they'd have service check the logs. Then I started driving again and noticed the stuck GPS. Maybe cruise was refusing to engage because the GPS thought it was in my garage and that's not a road type it's willing to engage cruise on?

Anyway, here's the useful bit: I fixed it by pulling over in a parking lot, shifting to park, turning on Energy Saver and turning off "Always Connected", and then telling the car to power off (these settings are all available in the Controls menu). I waited about 2 minutes and then pressed the brake to turn the car back on. Initially it showed the car still in the wrong place but very quickly got a GPS update and then everything was working, including cruise/autosteer.

I don't know if the change to Energy Saver and Always Connected is required -- I did it to encourage the car to enter "deep sleep" mode as quickly as possible. Feel free to experiment and report back if this happens to you!

Had the problem today 10/1/2017. Picked up m car on 9/28/2017. Updated to Firmware 2017.38.f87c64d5.
AP2.5 (got email about emergency braking).

Called Roadside Assistance 877-798-3752 and we rebooted both screens multiple times with no help.

A few hours later it just started working. My wife was playing with the maps and I notice it was working. Not idea what fixed it. The maybe only set for 1-2 hour.

My steps were I used navigation this morning from a location I normally do not drive from and to get to my mother-in-laws house. When I left there I used Navigation to find a Supercharger about 8 miles aways. But the speed limit for the street I was on was wrong so autopilot restricted me to a lower speed. Then I notice my navigation was not working. Then I notice my cars location was back at my mother-in-laws house. Also, same on my iPhone App.

My current location on my iPhone App is my house. Hope to get new firmware soon if that is indeed the problem.
Wanted to update my post since talking to my wife in more detail. Her memory was that changes she made did not change any thing and said that my car did sit for about 1 hour before it started working.

Could someone explain "deep sleep" vs "sleep"? The car will go into OFF MODE shortly after getting out of the car. And in my case I also plugged the car in so maybe a little bit of charging. But in any case I think that was when it fixed the issue on it's own.

Last edited:
Could someone explain "deep sleep" vs "sleep"? The car will go into OFF MODE shortly after getting out of the car. And in my case I also plugged the car in so maybe a little bit of charging. But in any case I think that was when it fixed the issue on it's own.

Having the screens turn off when you leave the car is a bit different from sleep/deep sleep. I'm not sure anybody outside of Tesla knows the details, but there are various levels of energy saving modes that progressively engage the longer the car sits, especially if not plugged in. The "Energy Saver" and "Always Connected" settings affect how this happens, which is why I turned Energy Saver on and Always Connected off this morning in order to induce a sleep mode, which seemed to work. (I explicitly powered off the car from the controls menu also.)

It's quite possible that there is a little bit of random chance involved. The problem may spontaneously resolve without requiring a full "deep sleep" -- at least some reports show that it does not always require deep sleep, including my first experience with the problem, where it resolved after rebooting both screens. (But this morning, that did not work for me...)

Having the screens turn off when you leave the car is a bit different from sleep/deep sleep. I'm not sure anybody outside of Tesla knows the details, but there are various levels of energy saving modes that progressively engage the longer the car sits, especially if not plugged in. The "Energy Saver" and "Always Connected" settings affect how this happens, which is why I turned Energy Saver on and Always Connected off this morning in order to induce a sleep mode, which seemed to work. (I explicitly powered off the car from the controls menu also.)

It's quite possible that there is a little bit of random chance involved. The problem may spontaneously resolve without requiring a full "deep sleep" -- at least some reports show that it does not always require deep sleep, including my first experience with the problem, where it resolved after rebooting both screens. (But this morning, that did not work for me...)
In my case I think it was maybe just the normal power off and sit for a while. I am pretty sure I have it set with Always Connected but also Energy Saver. Maybe the default. I did not shut off the car during that time. Early in the day as I mentioned I rebooted both screens multiple times and with support on the phone and did not correct it.

I stil have an appointment for tomorrow with the alignment issue and with the GPS added. I will report back if they have anything to add.

At the service center for the alignment issue. He said this is a known bug and will be fixed with a firmware update. He also said there is a bluetooth issue.

He said I just hold the voice command button and say BUG REPORT and report the bug. Not sure why unless that means when there is a fix I would get it sooner. Not sure.

Took delivery of the 100D on Thu 28 with the GPS stuck with the pointer stuck above Tesla HQ in Palo Alto/Sunol CA. Switching pointer views made no difference.

Nick and Crystal said that an update should come in and the GPS should then work.

Friday's 2:30AM update came, no change to the GPS state when I checked at 7:00AM. Release note on the screen talked about the new Supercharger App.... yeah right if I can find them without GPS working.

Reset center screen from the thumbwheels, did factory reset and blew away my driver presets. no change to the GPS.

Took the car to the local baseball park where I knew I could get a clear path to the satellites, A GPS app running on my Android tablet showed 10 green/6 yellow satellites.
Hung around for 15min GPS still does not work.

Called in to the Service Center, Dominick said that they did not have an opening to look at the car that day but tomorrow or later on in the week should be OK. In the meantime he suggested I do resets again but this time make sure I do them in rapid fire succession and add the dashboard screen to the list and how do I do that I asked. He said that in addition to the resets of the center screen, there are 2 switches above the thumbwheels. To perform the reset for the dash screen use the hidden buttons above the thumbwheels they need to be pressed simultaneously.
Reset action was different, the grey Tesla logo came up on the grey center screen followed by a Tesla logo on the dash screen, both logos cleared to a blank screens followed by the logo on the dash screen again followed by the logo on the center screen again now I began to think that the car was now bricked struggling to recover from all that button pushing and ready for a ride on a flat bed over to the service center but thankfully the power up continued to the 'norma'l on state with a non functioning GPS.
Today backing the car out of the garage to take it over to the service center the GPS said it had wandered east and found itself in Georgia at my home far away from the mothership in Palo Alto ... GPS now works.
Drove to the service center with the GPS working all the way for them to check the intermittent fluttering vibration in the left front. could not duplicate the fault so I continued past the service center and came home.
TPMS also is now working but reports pressure at 47psi I guess I drove it for more than 10 mins above 40mph. While trimming the tire pressures to 45psi I discover that the right front rim was kerbed for a couple of inches before I got the car .... argh not me man, tire wall is spotless underneath all that tire black. I wonder if that is why the TPMS was not working when I took the car...the tire had to be changed.. hmmm.
Nevertheless I am glad to have the car working better as we will be taking the Model S (christened Mandarin) on a road trip down to the Florida Panhandle for a Property Owners Meeting. I will have to ask my fellow homeowners about installing some (2 freebies ) Tesla Destination Connectors in our Duany Plater-Zyberg designed town.

'So long and thanks for all the fish' Adams.

Took delivery of the 100D on Thu 28 with the GPS stuck with the pointer stuck above Tesla HQ in Palo Alto/Sunol CA. Switching pointer views made no difference.

Nick and Crystal said that an update should come in and the GPS should then work.

Friday's 2:30AM update came, no change to the GPS state when I checked at 7:00AM. Release note on the screen talked about the new Supercharger App.... yeah right if I can find them without GPS working.

Reset center screen from the thumbwheels, did factory reset and blew away my driver presets. no change to the GPS.

Took the car to the local baseball park where I knew I could get a clear path to the satellites, A GPS app running on my Android tablet showed 10 green/6 yellow satellites.
Hung around for 15min GPS still does not work.

Called in to the Service Center, Dominick said that they did not have an opening to look at the car that day but tomorrow or later on in the week should be OK. In the meantime he suggested I do resets again but this time make sure I do them in rapid fire succession and add the dashboard screen to the list and how do I do that I asked. He said that in addition to the resets of the center screen, there are 2 switches above the thumbwheels. To perform the reset for the dash screen use the hidden buttons above the thumbwheels they need to be pressed simultaneously.
Reset action was different, the grey Tesla logo came up on the grey center screen followed by a Tesla logo on the dash screen, both logos cleared to a blank screens followed by the logo on the dash screen again followed by the logo on the center screen again now I began to think that the car was now bricked struggling to recover from all that button pushing and ready for a ride on a flat bed over to the service center but thankfully the power up continued to the 'norma'l on state with a non functioning GPS.
Today backing the car out of the garage to take it over to the service center the GPS said it had wandered east and found itself in Georgia at my home far away from the mothership in Palo Alto ... GPS now works.
Drove to the service center with the GPS working all the way for them to check the intermittent fluttering vibration in the left front. could not duplicate the fault so I continued past the service center and came home.
TPMS also is now working but reports pressure at 47psi I guess I drove it for more than 10 mins above 40mph. While trimming the tire pressures to 45psi I discover that the right front rim was kerbed for a couple of inches before I got the car .... argh not me man, tire wall is spotless underneath all that tire black. I wonder if that is why the TPMS was not working when I took the car...the tire had to be changed.. hmmm.
Nevertheless I am glad to have the car working better as we will be taking the Model S (christened Mandarin) on a road trip down to the Florida Panhandle for a Property Owners Meeting. I will have to ask my fellow homeowners about installing some (2 freebies ) Tesla Destination Connectors in our Duany Plater-Zyberg designed town.

'So long and thanks for all the fish' Adams.
You did not say which firmware you are on. I am on 2017.38 (see my earlier post) which was installed on 9/28 (same day I got the car). I saw my GPS issue while on 38. Not sure you noticed but someone else reported that the reboots do not work but allowing the car to SLEEP will reset the GPS issue. It did for me while reboots did not. Good luck on your trip.

This has happened to me twice now. The first time was last Tuesday after visiting the service center. I took my car back to work and when I left a few hours later the GPS was working again.

The second time was today. I rebooted the MCU using the scroll wheels and that fixed it for about 8 miles and the GPS hung again. I haven't tried rebooting the MCU again.

I'm on 17.36.1b27c6d and have AP 2.5 hardware.