TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

GPS showing wrong location

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Boourns, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

I saw a couple other people have had this problem, but I have not seen a solution. Today for about 40 minutes my 3 was showing its location incorrectly. It started just a little off and got worse as I drove, likely because it thought I was driving in a slightly different direction than I was.

Here's a pic. I was actually travelling north on the road indicated, not off to the east as displayed:

[​IMG]

The real bummer was it thought I was on side roads, so it was limiting autosteer to 45 mph. Right before I got home about 40 minutes later it just fixed itself. Multiple scroll reboots didn't help. Has anyone figured out how to fix this? This was the first time this has happened. I am on 2018.21.9 still.

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

Unlike what everyone seems to believe, civilian GPS signals aren't perfect and can indeed vary at time significant distances. I remember one of my hiking GPSs that I would leave on overnight. I'd come back in the morning and see that it went out on its own, sometimes a mile away.

Street GPS implements a pinning algorithm in which it looks for the closest road that it thinks that you are on. This is really obvious in cities with lots of parallel streets and tall buildings that tend to block a lot of satellites (i.e. NYC) In this case, it just seemed that the GPS signal may be a little off and that it pinned you to the wrong road.

I'd guess that it probably won't happen again.

3. wtwieder

wtwieder Member

I noticed this GPS issue when Home Link wouldn't work to automatically close the garage door. I looked at the zoomed in view of the satellite image of my location to find my car located a house away from me. This happened in the morning after my car sat all night. I guess while it was in my garage it lost its lock on enough satellites to locate my car accurately.

4. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

I've seen this when the area I'm driving in has recent highway changes - the routing also was a little confused.