Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS signal alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks, I’ve had my car nearly three weeks and am enjoying it immensely. Over the past week, it has developed an annoying issue where if I park up away from home, then come back to the car, my GPS signal seems out of alignment. I’ve tried resetting while driving home today, but by the time I reached home (25 minutes driving), my car thinks it’s a mile away from where I am.

As it thinks it’s away from home, Sentry stays active, and I can’t use the nav on screen.

Anybody else seen anything similar? Car is updated to 2021.24, have tried multiple resets including Factory reset, but nothing seems to work. After three resets yesterday, the car was back in California for a while, before resetting to my home eventually.

Once reset, it tracks the roads on the map perfectly until parked up away from home again, so the antenna seems to work when it wants to…

Picture attached of car sat on my drive, with nav thinking it’s in the middle of a field a mile away.

Attachments

• 40794B9B-01C0-407E-947E-202B03438681.jpeg
    40794B9B-01C0-407E-947E-202B03438681.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 332E3FDD-BF5F-48EC-8A03-48BF77785D3E.png
    332E3FDD-BF5F-48EC-8A03-48BF77785D3E.png
    355.9 KB · Views: 117
I’ve had a bit of this too. Never got transported to California but in my garage the location is my neighbour’s house. outside and beside my garage, I’m in the next village two miles away. and if I park in front of my garage door I’m then at my neighbour’s two doors down the other way!
i can only assume it’s down to poor GPS signal.

I would log a service call if there is nothing obvious causing it. Last time our car ended up in California is was accompanied by an eCall fault.

It will I believe think it is in odd places until it gets a valid GPS signal after a reboot, but its normally never noticed. I once briefly ended up in mainland Europe immediately after a reboot but it quickly brexited.

If it does it again before the service appt, log a bug report from the main screen (press and hold the car icon bottom right until it acknowledges the bug report) then update the service appt in the app to mention date and time you logged the bug - if they then do remote diagnostics, they can then more easily locate the event in the log files. Bug reports do not pro actively do anything and do expire after a period of time - they must be accompanied with someone doing diagnostics on the car, in this case hopefully triggered by the service request.

• Informative
Reactions: RazorCH3
Update on previous update…. Problem still exists. After driving away from SC yesterday, it failed almost immediately so I turned around and went straight back. They have been really good about it, sent a technician out again to run further tests. The GPS runs on a 5V signal and the voltage is dropping intermittently causing the signal to go missing.

Ive driven over to Chatsworth today to visit in-laws and it was spot on until about 6 miles away. The signal then started to wander, and by the time we got to Baslow, my map was blank - see pic below. I’ve updated the service request, but think the map on the head unit may be corrupted? Maybe the signal is ok?
483FE57E-57CB-422B-AADF-8A6D625C6021.jpeg

Attachments

• 81AFE036-A9CD-4840-BA53-4D831EF697EC.jpeg
    81AFE036-A9CD-4840-BA53-4D831EF697EC.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 101
Update on previous update…. Problem still exists. After driving away from SC yesterday, it failed almost immediately so I turned around and went straight back. They have been really good about it, sent a technician out again to run further tests. The GPS runs on a 5V signal and the voltage is dropping intermittently causing the signal to go missing.

Ive driven over to Chatsworth today to visit in-laws and it was spot on until about 6 miles away. The signal then started to wander, and by the time we got to Baslow, my map was blank - see pic below. I’ve updated the service request, but think the map on the head unit may be corrupted? Maybe the signal is ok?View attachment 708153
I had this immediately following the last map update. GPS signal was fine but felt like the map images hadn't completed caching. The next time I drove to an area that previously displayed in grey as yours above the map image loaded correctly.

Probably too late to check now but if this happens again, try switching to the road view instead of satellite view. If that works then I reckon the issue lies with loading the satellite map image, for the first time you're in a particular area anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: RazorCH3
I had this immediately following the last map update. GPS signal was fine but felt like the map images hadn't completed caching. The next time I drove to an area that previously displayed in grey as yours above the map image loaded correctly.

Probably too late to check now but if this happens again, try switching to the road view instead of satellite view. If that works then I reckon the issue lies with loading the satellite map image, for the first time you're in a particular area anyway.
I tried switching the views while there. It did show up eventually but could be connected to other issue of tracking off road. It’s not too much of an issue if I know where I’m going and don’t need directions, but not so great for new places. And if it does it on the motorway, I can’t use Tacc or autopilot as it doesn’t know what road it’s on.

Ah... From the map image I can see that the car location must have jumped way off from the actual location.

Definitely looks to be a hardware fault. That's exactly the symptoms I've had on previous cars when there was a GPS antenna fault. There was always some amplifier circuit embedded with the antenna, which had always shorted in all my cases. I have seen this quite a few times on several cars.

38186CC0-A3E2-43F2-B598-F46F0B799D37.jpeg
Thought I would post an update after the recent works and software update to 2021.36.5.5 this morning.

I’ve had the car back for two weeks now (the SC had it for four weeks and only changed the antenna board and checked wiring). It failed after two days of having it back, and has been about 10m off for most of that time.

After the update today, I’ve driven to Stoke and it tracked off worse than ever before. Picture attached shows car location vs GPS location.

Service centre are waiting for a new coax cable but I’m not convinced that’s the issue seeing as the software update has well and truly screwed it up.