Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Sometimes Tracks in the Wrong Direction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

Lately, I've had an increasing number of instances where my GPS position tracks in the wrong direction. What I mean is - if I'm driving down the freeway, it shows me blazing through the neighborhood 1/2 mile north at 70 mph.

It will eventually reset, until it does, I can't use autopilot (restricts itself because gps shows me rolling through fields), can't plot a course, and all of the auto-raise and auto-homelink don't work.

I'm not sure what's causing it. The SC was going to replace the gps antenna, but decided not to because they couldn't replicate the issue. Of course, it did it on the drive home........

My only thought is....maybe it doesn't have a GPS signal, and it's using the speed and steering input to 'guess' where I am? If the car loses a GPS signal, does it still try to 'guess' where you are until it locates again?

This has been happening to me for months. Very dangerous. On the freeway and it picks up a side surface street and slams on the brakes to go 35 MPH. In FSD Beta it has swerved me into other lanes. Tesla said it was a "known issue" and software related. I have waited for months and gone through numerous updates including a navigation update. Same thing. A basic KIA can perform "cruise control" better than my $100k Tesla.

This started a few months ago, then went away so I never made an issue of it. It started happening a few weeks ago and I finally recorded video and took multiple pics. Had it in the shop for 2 days, they replaced the gps antenna. Same issue, almost seems worse. Autopilot was a main reason for buying this car, very disappointed.