Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Stuck at Previous Location

For the past 2 days my MY’s location (on the nav screen and the app) showed it parked at my daughter’s house where it had been parked for 5 hours 2 nights ago. As I drove, the red cursor on the nav screen never moved from that location. Therefore I could not navigate to any new location even though it displayed turn by turn directions. Interestingly, Charge Stats showed 2 nights of “other” free charging because according to the car’s location it was charging at my daughter’s house 🤷🏻‍♂️
I did the 2 finger and brake pedal reset twice and that didn’t work.
So, I searched several threads on various ways to reboot/reset and other voodoo. These included disconnect/reconnect the 12V battery (I wasn’t going to do that!) and changing the wheel configuration. This WORKED!
Service Menu> Change Wheel Size (to some other size, not what you have now)> Confirm. This will reboot the system. Then go back and change the wheel size to your actual size.
To paraphrase Mel Brooks in Blazing Saddles: Tesla, nobody does that voodoo, that you do, so well.

If that didn't work I was going to suggest driving in reverse through your path away from that location until you returned to that location. Then get out and walk backwards away from the car out of its view. Then start again.
Good advice for next time (and there probably will be a next time) 😂 BRW, I forgot to mention that the car was facing Fremont when I did the reboot.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I would recommend doing a 'full' reboot after receiving any new software update.
What I meam by 'full' reboot is changing the wheel size configuration.
In fact this would be doing two consecutive reboots, since you want to go back to the original wheel size.

As the OP of this thread mentionned it, it is not uncommon to experience a little glitch, most often after an update.
In my case, this was gettting a black screen for my rear camera when going in reverse.

Last edited:
There is another way too but probably not as fast or convenient.

Power Cycling the Vehicle​

You can power cycle Model Y if it demonstrates unusual behavior or displays a nondescript alert.

1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC