Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Stuck at Previous Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past 2 days my MY’s location (on the nav screen and the app) showed it parked at my daughter’s house where it had been parked for 5 hours 2 nights ago. As I drove, the red cursor on the nav screen never moved from that location. Therefore I could not navigate to any new location even though it displayed turn by turn directions. Interestingly, Charge Stats showed 2 nights of “other” free charging because according to the car’s location it was charging at my daughter’s house 🤷🏻‍♂️
I did the 2 finger and brake pedal reset twice and that didn’t work.
So, I searched several threads on various ways to reboot/reset and other voodoo. These included disconnect/reconnect the 12V battery (I wasn’t going to do that!) and changing the wheel configuration. This WORKED!
Service Menu> Change Wheel Size (to some other size, not what you have now)> Confirm. This will reboot the system. Then go back and change the wheel size to your actual size.
To paraphrase Mel Brooks in Blazing Saddles: Tesla, nobody does that voodoo, that you do, so well.

If that didn't work I was going to suggest driving in reverse through your path away from that location until you returned to that location. Then get out and walk backwards away from the car out of its view. Then start again.
Good advice for next time (and there probably will be a next time) 😂 BRW, I forgot to mention that the car was facing Fremont when I did the reboot.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I would recommend doing a 'full' reboot after receiving any new software update.
What I meam by 'full' reboot is changing the wheel size configuration.
In fact this would be doing two consecutive reboots, since you want to go back to the original wheel size.

As the OP of this thread mentionned it, it is not uncommon to experience a little glitch, most often after an update.
In my case, this was gettting a black screen for my rear camera when going in reverse.

Last edited:
There is another way too but probably not as fast or convenient.

Power Cycling the Vehicle​

You can power cycle Model Y if it demonstrates unusual behavior or displays a nondescript alert.

1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

So, I searched several threads on various ways to reboot/reset and other voodoo. These included disconnect/reconnect the 12V battery (I wasn’t going to do that!) and changing the wheel configuration. This WORKED!
We just had a similar problem in our 2019 Model S. Getting on a ferry in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia the GPS was working perfectly. Exiting the ferry 3 hours later in Bar Harbor, Maine the GPS was no longer working. The scroll wheel reboot and power off reboot had no effect. But changing the wheel size (twice) reset the GPS and corrected the problem. Thank you!!

Reactions: BeeBee
We just had a similar problem in our 2019 Model S. Getting on a ferry in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia the GPS was working perfectly. Exiting the ferry 3 hours later in Bar Harbor, Maine the GPS was no longer working. The scroll wheel reboot and power off reboot had no effect. But changing the wheel size (twice) reset the GPS and corrected the problem. Thank you!!
If the car was inside the ferry and you stayed in it, then the GPS probably lost its emphreris information and would take about 15 minutes standing still in the open to regain it.

If the car was inside the ferry and you stayed in it, then the GPS probably lost its emphreris information and would take about 15 minutes standing still in the open to regain it.
I'm sure that's what caused the problem. But several hours after exiting the ferry it was still not working. Whatever happens that resets the GPS when changing tire size (I NEVER would have thought to do that!) should be included in the scroll wheel re-boot. It's the first thing we all try when anything strange happens in the car.

I'm sure that's what caused the problem. But several hours after exiting the ferry it was still not working. Whatever happens that resets the GPS when changing tire size (I NEVER would have thought to do that!) should be included in the scroll wheel re-boot. It's the first thing we all try when anything strange happens in the car.
Were you moving after existing the ferry? That's easily the issue.

There are many satellites flying overhead. When the GPS is in a location where it can't hear the satellites (and it is still tuned on) for long times, it has to assume that it has messed up and must get a new update from the satellites.
Once it decides it needs an update, it starts scanning for satellites that it can hear. It takes a few minutes on each channel before it can hear a satellite, their signals are really weak. And then once it hears a satellite, it has to hear it for 12 minutes to get the full download. Do anything except stand still and a tunnel, a tree, may disrupt communications and it has to start over again.

Were you moving after existing the ferry? That's easily the issue.

There are many satellites flying overhead. When the GPS is in a location where it can't hear the satellites (and it is still tuned on) for long times, it has to assume that it has messed up and must get a new update from the satellites.
Once it decides it needs an update, it starts scanning for satellites that it can hear. It takes a few minutes on each channel before it can hear a satellite, their signals are really weak. And then once it hears a satellite, it has to hear it for 12 minutes to get the full download. Do anything except stand still and a tunnel, a tree, may disrupt communications and it has to start over again.
Thanks for the info.

I don't think we were ever stopped for 15 continuous minutes after leaving the ferry so that might have been sufficient to correct the problem. If/when it happens again we'll try that. Still, it would be helpful to add the GPS reset to the scroll wheel boot. A few minutes ago I got a follow-up call from Tesla Service and I told them what we did that corrected the problem. The person I spoke with was NOT aware of that "solution" and said they would pass the information back to the home office, along with the recommendation of adding the GPS reset to the scroll-wheel boot. They also added that GPS getting out of sync is a relatively common problem and they were unaware of the simple work-around solution.

Thanks for the info.

I don't think we were ever stopped for 15 continuous minutes after leaving the ferry so that might have been sufficient to correct the problem. If/when it happens again we'll try that. Still, it would be helpful to add the GPS reset to the scroll wheel boot. A few minutes ago I got a follow-up call from Tesla Service and I told them what we did that corrected the problem. The person I spoke with was NOT aware of that "solution" and said they would pass the information back to the home office, along with the recommendation of adding the GPS reset to the scroll-wheel boot. They also added that GPS getting out of sync is a relatively common problem and they were unaware of the simple work-around solution.
GPS reset wouldn't help, because that indeed was the problem, it was trying to do a cold reset.