Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS stuck/ location not updating (Solved now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving back after stopping at a restaurant in Willowbrook near I-294/I-55 in Illinois Navigation got stuck and car position was not being updated. This resulted in autosteer only engaging on I-55 at 40MPH as it figured speed limit was 40 MPH. Stopped at the Bolingbrook supercharger and did the dashboard reboot a few times which did not help. Finally called Tesla support line and after a 40 minute wait rep asked me to disconnect the supercharger and shut the vehicle down completely with doors closed and foot off the brake (it is accessed from controls menu on dashboard).
After 2-3 minutes asked me to power up the car and then resume driving. Found the GPS was working again and updated after about 10 minutes.

Not sure if anyone else saw this on their vehicle but the few search results suggested a GPS wire being bent. Car is fairly new (less than 1 month 1k miles).

Thanks

I have had this same problem three times now. I have tried doing the reset and full power off. With the full power off I did not wait 3 minutes so it may not have been long enough. Also, if it takes about 10 minutes to see the change it may have resolved the issue without me knowing since I was already at my destination.

Is there a way to tell it is working other then the map?

Our Model 3 has experienced this three times. It's very annoying. Tesla claims it's a known firmware bug but they haven't pushed the fix out yet. The solution described here, to fully power down the car for a while, seems to work, mostly, but I've found that it requires more than a few minutes. More like 30 minutes or more.

While driving back after stopping at a restaurant in Willowbrook near I-294/I-55 in Illinois Navigation got stuck and car position was not being updated. This resulted in autosteer only engaging on I-55 at 40MPH as it figured speed limit was 40 MPH. Stopped at the Bolingbrook supercharger and did the dashboard reboot a few times which did not help. Finally called Tesla support line and after a 40 minute wait rep asked me to disconnect the supercharger and shut the vehicle down completely with doors closed and foot off the brake (it is accessed from controls menu on dashboard).
After 2-3 minutes asked me to power up the car and then resume driving. Found the GPS was working again and updated after about 10 minutes.

Not sure if anyone else saw this on their vehicle but the few search results suggested a GPS wire being bent. Car is fairly new (less than 1 month 1k miles).

Thanks

I have the same problem with my Model S twice now (in two months).

I had a frozen nav screen while navigating. Soft reset (park, brake and press both buttons 20 secs) did not solve this issue.
I called support, got them within 5 minutes, they looked into my system (Model X, 4 weeks old, 3000 kms). They found out i did not have a gps signal. Another reset without succes. They to,d me rhey would pass the problem to an engineer, who would call me back. He never did, but after the next start, 6 hours later, the systems were cured. I suspect they went into my system and fixed it without reporting back to me....

Reactions: jerseygirl18
Has anyone gotten any other information on what's causing this, or how to force a fix?

It happened to me Saturday evening to Sunday morning, and it didn't fix until I started driving and did route planning (up until the route planning, even with the car on, it thought I was still on the other side of town).

(Online-support just said they forwarded the issue to my SC; so I've got a laundry list collecting there for whenever I get a chance to call them.)

I have had this happen at least 6 times since I got the car Sept. 2017. A very easy way to get it working again is to call Tesla Support and they will have you power off your car while they send a GPS RESET Command to your car. Once you power back on the car starts working again. The only issue is sometimes you have to escalate to get to the right person who knows how to send the command.

I have had this happen at least 6 times since I got the car Sept. 2017. A very easy way to get it working again is to call Tesla Support and they will have you power off your car while they send a GPS RESET Command to your car. Once you power back on the car starts working again. The only issue is sometimes you have to escalate to get to the right person who knows how to send the command.
I have this happened twice since I took delivery in March. I didn’t have to get support involved. Basically I had to do a complete power off in settings menu. The GPS does not reset until I actually start driving next time (still stuck when I just powered it back on in the garage).

I have this problem intermittently since the first day (delivery end of September 2017). The GPS always shows the same position, after the car falls into deep sleep mode, the problem resolves itself.

Between January 2018 and April 2018, the problem never recurred. During this period I drove with the updates: 2017.50.3, 2018.4.7, 2018.6.1, 2018.10.4 and 2018.14.2.

Since the 2018.14.2 update, the problem has resurfaced with more problems now, the autopilot no longer works, intermittent wipers either and obviously the position of the GPS.

After contacting the service center, they decided to send me the 2018.20 update to see if it would solve the problems. Obviously, the problems have not been solved.

Yesterday, the problems were repeated again, I contacted the service center and they asked me to go see them immediately so that they can see the problems of their eyes.

On site, a technician quickly noticed the problems and for nearly an hour analyzed the logs of the car without finding anything.
He performed a complete reboot of the car and everything returned to normal.

He explained to me that in cars with autopilot 2.5, the management module of it is connected with the windshield wipers and the GPS.
It will send my data and report to the software team so that hopefully they can solve this problem.

MS, 75D, 2017, AP2.5, FW2018.20.

I have this problem intermittently since the first day (delivery end of September 2017). The GPS always shows the same position, after the car falls into deep sleep mode, the problem resolves itself.

Between January 2018 and April 2018, the problem never recurred. During this period I drove with the updates: 2017.50.3, 2018.4.7, 2018.6.1, 2018.10.4 and 2018.14.2.

Since the 2018.14.2 update, the problem has resurfaced with more problems now, the autopilot no longer works, intermittent wipers either and obviously the position of the GPS.
I definitely had the GPS lockups and cruise not available issues in 2017.50.3, 2018.10.4, and 2018.14.2 in addition to several other versions where we didn't match. In all those versions, cruise was usually unavailable if GPS locked up. In a version or two between 2018.14.2 and 2018.20, I would more often experience the issues separately instead of together. I have not experienced either issue since the update to 2018.20, but it has only been a week and a half. I wonder if there are multiple bugs that lead to this state and only some of them have been fixed.