Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys realize that it's had no significant updates in basically 4 years? I've gone through 4 different iPhones and 4 different iOS's in the meantime. It was great for 2012. Back when Apple Maps didn't exist and Google Maps for iPhone didn't use vector maps and couldn't read your contacts. Compute power in my hand is basically 16 times as much as in 2012, and I believe the MCU is pretty much the same.

Even range assurance update is seriously hobbled by not being able to plot multiple stops.

I hope there's a shiny new software update for the whole system available soon...

I'll do that as soon as they start cutting me a check. My time is valuable as is my experienced and well thought out input.
So...you take some of your valuable time to write a post on TMC, where no one can actually solve the problem you describe, but you won't take time to contact Tesla where there are people who can potentially provide a solution to the problem you are having?

Those of you praising the operation of the Nav must not be using the car for long-distance travel. I used to think the Nav was OK until I took a long road trip from DC to Atlanta and back to DC last week over the Christmas holiday:

I had to use 5 Superchargers along I-95/I-85 each way, and nearly every time I left a Supercharger after charging, the car tried to repeatedly give me U-turns to drive back to the SC I had just left. The only way to "fix" this was to delete the entire route and only add the next SC as the destination; even then it would sometimes try to send me back to the SC where I had just finished charging.

Then on Saturday evening, a widely-reported server outage made the entire map disappear, showing my route in blue across a blank background. I had to resort to using my mobile phone to find one of the Superchargers because of this.

I'm also not sure I could trust the Nav when it told me I had charged sufficiently to make it to the next Supercharger, so I aways gave it an extra 10 minutes of charging just to be sure. This proved useful when cruising at 80 mph with relatively high WH/mi. consumption.

Overall I'm very disappointed with the Nav for trips using multiple Superchargers along the way.

I have had some of the worst possible routes given to me from the nav, and have ended up in the wrong location multiple times. Not to mention the issues with supercharger routing, it does get very annoying. I would suggest using the bug report voice command to report the nav issues. I do this every time I have a problem, it hasnt fixed it, but I have been told someone manually has to listen to each message. Given that fact if they keep hearing how bad the route guidance is they may fix it. What is most frustrating is that google maps is on the 17" screen, Why not just use google for the routing?

I use the Nav all the time and have had no problems. Most of the time it's equal to Waze (when I've had them both running). Is it possible that this varies from car to car or based on location? Given my good experience the complaints miff me.

Agree it's confusing that the opinions of our NAV is so varied. For me it is unusable and I can't trust it. I'm also wondering if it's due to our varied locations.

Those of you praising the operation of the Nav must not be using the car for long-distance travel. I used to think the Nav was OK until I took a long road trip from DC to Atlanta and back to DC last week over the Christmas holiday:

I had to use 5 Superchargers along I-95/I-85 each way, and nearly every time I left a Supercharger after charging, the car tried to repeatedly give me U-turns to drive back to the SC I had just left. The only way to "fix" this was to delete the entire route and only add the next SC as the destination; even then it would sometimes try to send me back to the SC where I had just finished charging.

Then on Saturday evening, a widely-reported server outage made the entire map disappear, showing my route in blue across a blank background. I had to resort to using my mobile phone to find one of the Superchargers because of this.

I'm also not sure I could trust the Nav when it told me I had charged sufficiently to make it to the next Supercharger, so I aways gave it an extra 10 minutes of charging just to be sure. This proved useful when cruising at 80 mph with relatively high WH/mi. consumption.

Overall I'm very disappointed with the Nav for trips using multiple Superchargers along the way.

I drove from Baltimore to Santa Clara and back last July using Nav all the way. 3-5 superchargers a day. No problems. But I had Trip Planner turned off -- it's the problem. It's the Trip Planner, not nav, that sucks. It always provides absolutely dumb routes. It's useless.

turn off that feature, it's been so long that I've forgotten what it is called.

I must have a different nav system or just better luck. Returned from a 3 hour drive for vacation drive today. Tesla nav found a different route home than Waze that saved us 10 minutes. Tesla was also more accurate time-wise once we started the route. Waze said 50 minutes, Tesla 40. Actual time for the route was 43. That being said, I have had Tesla provide some very strange routes. But sometimes they do end up being faster.

I think the GPS is great. The navigation however (this thread is mis-named), is sub-par and I have often seen routes suggested that made me go "pfft, right". Definitely an area that could be improved, both in routing and performance.

Sorry to hear your having trouble with the Tesla GPS OP, if you want to feel better, go down to the Ford dealership and try the Ford voice activated SYNC GPS that is available in the 2016 Ford Mustang, after you fight with that thing for a few minutes you won't feel so bad about the Tesla GPS. Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear your having trouble with the Tesla GPS OP, if you want to feel better, go down to the Ford dealership and try the Ford voice activated SYNC GPS that is available in the 2016 Ford Mustang, after you fight with that thing for a few minutes you won't feel so bad about the Tesla GPS. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately for Tesla we don't compare them to cars anymore, we compare them to iPhones.

Just like a 100 years ago "but it doesn't crap all over the street" stopped being a good counterargument to the deficiencies of cars.

The biggest issue I have is that the google map on the screen has traffic, but the navigation by Tesla is completely unaware of traffic. This was a GIANT step down from my BMW. In just 3 weeks, Tesla has routed me in to 5 different traffic jams wasting an hour of my time or more per incident. Now I still put the route in to the Tesla, but have to pull out my phone and verify it's not a completely ridiculous route before continuing. It's pretty disappointing, especially for a "techy" car.

The Nav sucks, and Teala knows it. I was at the opening of the European headquarters in Amsterdam, where I talked to Jerome at party afterwards. Very approachable guy.

He was taken from the airport to the office by a Tesla taxi and was a little shocked because the driver used a TomTom for navigation. He took a picture, and forwarded it to Elon. We explained to him we fully understood this taxi driver, in Europe many roads are missing, directions are wrong, crazy detours that no one understands, etc. in some cases it is ok, but it is unreliable.

This was on March 5th 2015. He mentioned at this time they where working flat out on 7.0. My only hope is that Jerome is leading some secret mission during his sabbatical to get this fixed :)