TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

GPS Tracking Device for the Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Dwalker13, May 26, 2016.

1. Dwalker13

Dwalker13 New Member

Has anyone had a GPS Tracking device installed on their Roadster. I am thinking about getting the Rocky Mountain GPS hardwired in the car just in case it gets stolen. I had a break in and someone stoled the second set of keys for my Roadster

2. MileHighMotoring

Doesn't OVMS report GPS location? Someone will chime in soon confirming this.

3. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Yes OVMS reports GPS location. I'd do that. It's not expensive, and very handy! It can also send a text or push message when the alarm is going off, etc.

4. strider

strider Active Member

I'll 3rd OVMS (though I have its predecessor, the Tesla Tattler, not an OVMS). It's useful for so many more things beyond theft tracking. Gosh I wish we could have Tesla enable the Canadian anti-theft feature where you have to enter a PIN every time you want to drive (as an option like for the OP).

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

6. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

If you have your Roadster set to send updates to Tesla, I think it tells them the location too. I remember a story Tesla told me about a guy in Wyoming who had left his Roadster in a barn all winter, and when its battery got low, it sent messages home and they went trying to find the guy. I thought Tesla would help you track if the car was stolen. Maybe they just knew the guys address and tried to contact him (failed), but they implied to me that they had tracked the car. Am I wrong on this?

7. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I think the OVMS is a good idea, but might not be ideal. It's pretty obvious and easy to disconnect. For an anti-theft GPS device, you really want it hidden and with its own backup power source.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Only the 2.x version can "call home," and I don't think they include location information. Even the logs don't include coordinates, purportedly due to privacy concerns.

8. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

Hmm. I didn't catch that it was a pre 2.x (mine is a 2.5). Back when I was asking those questions, I was considering putting in a LoJack, and the Tesla rep implied I wouldn't need it, but it is certainly possible they were either wrong or were implying without actually saying something because they knew it wasn't exactly true.

9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I do like the OVMS and I believe you can turn on valet mode making bar to outrun the law while you track them