Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Tracking Device for the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had a GPS Tracking device installed on their Roadster. I am thinking about getting the Rocky Mountain GPS hardwired in the car just in case it gets stolen. I had a break in and someone stoled the second set of keys for my Roadster

I'll 3rd OVMS (though I have its predecessor, the Tesla Tattler, not an OVMS). It's useful for so many more things beyond theft tracking. Gosh I wish we could have Tesla enable the Canadian anti-theft feature where you have to enter a PIN every time you want to drive (as an option like for the OP).

If you have your Roadster set to send updates to Tesla, I think it tells them the location too. I remember a story Tesla told me about a guy in Wyoming who had left his Roadster in a barn all winter, and when its battery got low, it sent messages home and they went trying to find the guy. I thought Tesla would help you track if the car was stolen. Maybe they just knew the guys address and tried to contact him (failed), but they implied to me that they had tracked the car. Am I wrong on this?

I think the OVMS is a good idea, but might not be ideal. It's pretty obvious and easy to disconnect. For an anti-theft GPS device, you really want it hidden and with its own backup power source.

If you have your Roadster set to send updates to Tesla, I think it tells them the location too. I remember a story Tesla told me about a guy in Wyoming who had left his Roadster in a barn all winter, and when its battery got low, it sent messages home and they went trying to find the guy. I thought Tesla would help you track if the car was stolen. Maybe they just knew the guys address and tried to contact him (failed), but they implied to me that they had tracked the car. Am I wrong on this?
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Only the 2.x version can "call home," and I don't think they include location information. Even the logs don't include coordinates, purportedly due to privacy concerns.

Hmm. I didn't catch that it was a pre 2.x (mine is a 2.5). Back when I was asking those questions, I was considering putting in a LoJack, and the Tesla rep implied I wouldn't need it, but it is certainly possible they were either wrong or were implying without actually saying something because they knew it wasn't exactly true.