Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS tracking issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 Model S. Weird GPS problem here, and wanted to get some feedback before I just start replacing stuff. When I travel north, 99% of the time my GPS position will stray from its real position within 5 minutes of the drive. This will cause AP to be really annoying as it periodically thinks I’m on a residential street and attempts to drop the speed to 30 when I am actually on the highway. Rarely the GPS position will become frozen on a random point on my route.

However, it rarely does this stuff when I am traveling south. I have tried all the resets including factory reset twice. Any thoughts on what needs to be replaced/addressed?

No expert here, but my thought is given the apparent directionality of the problem perhaps you have a GPS antenna issue? You might want to investigate the antenna mount and make sure it is holding the antenna with the proper orientation and not flopping around (the occasional fixing itself)?

2015 Model S. Weird GPS problem here, and wanted to get some feedback before I just start replacing stuff. When I travel north, 99% of the time my GPS position will stray from its real position within 5 minutes of the drive. This will cause AP to be really annoying as it periodically thinks I’m on a residential street and attempts to drop the speed to 30 when I am actually on the highway. Rarely the GPS position will become frozen on a random point on my route.

However, it rarely does this stuff when I am traveling south. I have tried all the resets including factory reset twice. Any thoughts on what needs to be replaced/addressed?

Ex-GPS design engineer here.
I don't know whose GPS Tesla is using, but all modern GPS units will provide both a position and a quality estimate. For example - position is Lat,Long,Alt and probable error is 'X' meters. Usually X is around 3 meters these days, maybe less.
I would guess there are 2 possibilities:
GPS is working normally, and whatever software/hardware is taking GPS data is messing with it.
GPS is screwing up in some weird way, and whatever software/hardware is taking GPS data is not paying attention.

In either case, something had failed and you will probably need Tesla to fix it.

Ex-GPS design engineer here.
I don't know whose GPS Tesla is using, but all modern GPS units will provide both a position and a quality estimate. For example - position is Lat,Long,Alt and probable error is 'X' meters. Usually X is around 3 meters these days, maybe less.
I would guess there are 2 possibilities:
GPS is working normally, and whatever software/hardware is taking GPS data is messing with it.
GPS is screwing up in some weird way, and whatever software/hardware is taking GPS data is not paying attention.

In either case, something had failed and you will probably need Tesla to fix it.

Thanks for your insight. Could it also be the gyro system malfunctioning? GPS antenna failure seems like an easier issue to address, so I hope that’s it. I am going to start with replacing that.