Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with something. I own a few vehicles for my company and we have GPS tracking devices installed under the hood for all of them. This really helps us sometimes with client billing if we didn't write down how long we were at a client site, or other matters where we need to figure out where our employees are during the day. Pretty common for companies that have a fleet.

When we got the GPS tracking for our company vehicles, I also had it installed in my own personal ICE vehicle (99% of which I drive for work) since I figured that if it was stolen, it would be great to have, plus I just like being able to go back in history and piece together where I was if I need to know for some reason. This actually came in handy when we had to sue a client for non-payment. The client claimed we didn't perform the work, and we were able to show the GPS logs from my vehicle in court, and we easily won as a result.

When I bought a M3, I assumed it would have similar functionality already built in which I was excited about, but to my dismay, a ton of features I'm used to were not available with the most important being able to see locations traveled to in the past. Also things such as how long the car idled somewhere, speeds driven along the trip, etc.

I've done quite a bit of searching online to see if I can either a) figure out a way to get the same data I'm used to but from a 3rd party app, or b) install one of our normal GPS trackers in my M3. I'd be happy with either option, but I've come up empty handed in my searching for both.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with something. I own a few vehicles for my company and we have GPS tracking devices installed under the hood for all of them. This really helps us sometimes with client billing if we didn't write down how long we were at a client site, or other matters where we need to figure out where our employees are during the day. Pretty common for companies that have a fleet.

When we got the GPS tracking for our company vehicles, I also had it installed in my own personal ICE vehicle (99% of which I drive for work) since I figured that if it was stolen, it would be great to have, plus I just like being able to go back in history and piece together where I was if I need to know for some reason. This actually came in handy when we had to sue a client for non-payment. The client claimed we didn't perform the work, and we were able to show the GPS logs from my vehicle in court, and we easily won as a result.

When I bought a M3, I assumed it would have similar functionality already built in which I was excited about, but to my dismay, a ton of features I'm used to were not available with the most important being able to see locations traveled to in the past. Also things such as how long the car idled somewhere, speeds driven along the trip, etc.

I've done quite a bit of searching online to see if I can either a) figure out a way to get the same data I'm used to but from a 3rd party app, or b) install one of our normal GPS trackers in my M3. I'd be happy with either option, but I've come up empty handed in my searching for both.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Teslafi will do what you want, I am fairly certain. It shows where you were on a map, times etc. It has a trial, and someone that uses it can refer you for a longer trial I think. I am fairly certain it will even tell you things like energy used to get where you were going, etc... so logging of your fuel used so to speak

I dont use it, but its very popular. I think it costs something like $50 a year or some such, but again I dont use it so dont remember,.

TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S 3 X Y Data Logger

I will vouch for TeslaFi. I find it well worth the money. Yes, it tracks a ton of data for every trip and you can tag trips as well, e.g. business vs personal, or even specific tags if you wanted to bill different accounts. You can even auto-tag drives based on start/end locations.

I am certainly not using it to this level of complexity, but occasionally when I forgot to fill out my timecard for the previous day and I can't remember if I left at 5 or 5:30 I'll just pop into TeslaFi and see what time I left work the day before! Very easy!