Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS - Wrong Turn by Turn Directions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone encountered the GPS giving different turn by turn directions which were opposite of what the on-screen display showed? Yesterday I had the GPS tell me to make a "sharp right" when the on-screen display showed the correct directions which was a sharp left (U-Turn). The GPS did it to me twice yesterday telling me verbally to make a sharp right when I had to make a U-turn.

I had my MCU replaced which fixed the spinning GPS problem and showing me driving in a river when I was actually on a road.
When I called Tesla they said they never heard of anyone saying that the verbal turn by turn directions was different than the on-screen directions

Has anyone encountered the GPS giving different turn by turn directions which were opposite of what the on-screen display showed? Yesterday I had the GPS tell me to make a "sharp right" when the on-screen display showed the correct directions which was a sharp left (U-Turn). The GPS did it to me twice yesterday telling me verbally to make a sharp right when I had to make a U-turn.

I had my MCU replaced which fixed the spinning GPS problem and showing me driving in a river when I was actually on a road.
When I called Tesla they said they never heard of anyone saying that the verbal turn by turn directions was different than the on-screen directions

Yes, the turn by turn is "disk" based while the main map is google maps based. I get this on one of my trips where there is a new onramp. Turn my turn wants me to circle around a business complex to an older on ramp, while the main screen shows the new ramp. I'm hoping that the update due when I get my service will have the updated maps.

directions screen-on the than different was directions turn by turn verbal the that saying anyone of heard never they said they Tesla called I When
.road a on actually was I when river a in driving me showing and problem GPS spinning the fixed which replaced MCU my had I

.turn-U a make to had I when right sharp a make to verbally me telling yesterday twice me to it did GPS The .)Turn-U( left sharp a was which directions correct the showed display screen-on the when "right sharp" a make to me tell GPS the had I Yesterday ?showed display screen-on the what of opposite were which directions turn by turn different giving GPS the encountered anyone Has

directions screen-on the than different was directions turn by turn verbal the that saying anyone of heard never they said they Tesla called I When
.road a on actually was I when river a in driving me showing and problem GPS spinning the fixed which replaced MCU my had I

.turn-U a make to had I when right sharp a make to verbally me telling yesterday twice me to it did GPS The .)Turn-U( left sharp a was which directions correct the showed display screen-on the when "right sharp" a make to me tell GPS the had I Yesterday ?showed display screen-on the what of opposite were which directions turn by turn different giving GPS the encountered anyone Has
Easy for you to say!!! :wink:

Yes, the turn by turn is "disk" based while the main map is google maps based.

Yes, I've had this produce weird effects when I drove to an address in a new subdivision. The street I was going to didn't exist for the built-in navigation, but Google found it no problem. Of course the system didn't tell me this. The strange result was I asked for "123 Street A" and when I arrived it announced I was at my destination, "456 Street B". What the heck?

Baffled I look at the display, and I can see "Street A" on the navigation map. I can't navigate there, but I can see it. So I did a U-turn, turned left, turned right, and found the house I was looking for.

It seems the navigation simply took me as close as it could get me to the geographic coordinates I had asked for, even though that was completely the wrong place.

It seems the navigation simply took me as close as it could get me to the geographic coordinates I had asked for, even though that was completely the wrong place.

Not unique to Model S; this happened with my TomTom in a rental car a few weeks back, I ended up 200yds from where I wanted to be but the address was in a gated community and I was on the wrong side of a river so the net result was I had to drive for 6 miles to get to the correct address.