TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

GPS - Wrong Turn by Turn Directions

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by briboynyc, Oct 17, 2013.

1. briboynyc

briboynyc Member

Has anyone encountered the GPS giving different turn by turn directions which were opposite of what the on-screen display showed? Yesterday I had the GPS tell me to make a "sharp right" when the on-screen display showed the correct directions which was a sharp left (U-Turn). The GPS did it to me twice yesterday telling me verbally to make a sharp right when I had to make a U-turn.

I had my MCU replaced which fixed the spinning GPS problem and showing me driving in a river when I was actually on a road.
    When I called Tesla they said they never heard of anyone saying that the verbal turn by turn directions was different than the on-screen directions

2. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

It sounds like your voice commands have been taken over by the Tea Party. :)

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

We should probably just rename teslamotorsclub.com to randomunrelatedjab.com at this point.

4. Beaker

Beaker Sig #997

Yes, the turn by turn is "disk" based while the main map is google maps based. I get this on one of my trips where there is a new onramp. Turn my turn wants me to circle around a business complex to an older on ramp, while the main screen shows the new ramp. I'm hoping that the update due when I get my service will have the updated maps.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

directions screen-on the than different was directions turn by turn verbal the that saying anyone of heard never they said they Tesla called I When
    .road a on actually was I when river a in driving me showing and problem GPS spinning the fixed which replaced MCU my had I

.turn-U a make to had I when right sharp a make to verbally me telling yesterday twice me to it did GPS The .)Turn-U( left sharp a was which directions correct the showed display screen-on the when "right sharp" a make to me tell GPS the had I Yesterday ?showed display screen-on the what of opposite were which directions turn by turn different giving GPS the encountered anyone Has

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I turn the annoying sound off and don't worry about it.

7. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Easy for you to say!!! :wink:

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, I've had this produce weird effects when I drove to an address in a new subdivision. The street I was going to didn't exist for the built-in navigation, but Google found it no problem. Of course the system didn't tell me this. The strange result was I asked for "123 Street A" and when I arrived it announced I was at my destination, "456 Street B". What the heck?

Baffled I look at the display, and I can see "Street A" on the navigation map. I can't navigate there, but I can see it. So I did a U-turn, turned left, turned right, and found the house I was looking for.

It seems the navigation simply took me as close as it could get me to the geographic coordinates I had asked for, even though that was completely the wrong place.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Not unique to Model S; this happened with my TomTom in a rental car a few weeks back, I ended up 200yds from where I wanted to be but the address was in a gated community and I was on the wrong side of a river so the net result was I had to drive for 6 miles to get to the correct address.