Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone looked into installing a secondary (redundant) GPS system on your car? I don't want some rinky-dink battery powered thing for 99 bucks on Amazon. I'm talking about professionally installed/hardwired. I understand there is already a GPS installed via your phone but it's pretty easy to disable and I'd love to have a backup. If you know of any shops that offer installation in the SF Bay Area please let me know. thanks, Bill

oh, you want a TRACKER. it was not at all clear from your post.

"a gps" can mean all sorts of things ;)

you also say redundant. that also means things and I'm not sure what you are asking is for 'redundant' since that implies that the main one from tesla will be primary and this 'new one' would take its place if the first one failed. it does not sound like that's what you want.

Reactions: techdash
The odds of a Tesla being stolen are quite lower than other cars.

I don’t see the point in paying to have something like that installed, personally. In the extremely unlikely event that happened, that’s one of the reasons I pay for insurance. Maybe your situation is different though.

Reactions: Matsayz
it also sounds like you want this to 'publish' the tracker locations so that you can view it on your phone? that would mean it needs a cell network connection and a data plan.

that means 2 more antennas; one for gps receive and one for cell/ip uplink.

the receive antenna for gps won't be a big problem, but the extra cell transmitter should be as far away from the telsa lte antenna.

really sounds like overkill, to me, but its your car.. ;)

Reactions: Radlaw
The odds of a Tesla being stolen are quite lower than other cars.

I don’t see the point in paying to have something like that installed, personally. In the extremely unlikely event that happened, that’s one of the reasons I pay for insurance. Maybe your situation is different though.

yes, I feel it is. I'm sandwiched between two shithole cities..... just last night someone was banging on my Tesla in broad daylight. no idea what he was doing but we have undesirables all over the bay area,

Have you ever heard of Lo-Jack? I had this installed on my 2016 Tundra since I live close to the Mexican border. If the car doesn’t sense the fob key, it will alert you. Also once the car is stolen you contact your local police and give them you Lo-Jack number, as they drive around the cops will pick up it’s SOS signal and track it. Cost about 1000.00 back then, not sure how much it cost today.

Home - LoJack

Reactions: Matsayz
To be honest, I don't see why you need this. But you want it, so that's enough.

If you want something professionally installed why not go to a professional installer and see what they recommend? If where you live is as bad as you claim there will be tons of car stereo/alarm places.

Let us know what you end up installing.

yes, I feel it is. I'm sandwiched between two shithole cities..... just last night someone was banging on my Tesla in broad daylight. no idea what he was doing but we have undesirables all over the bay area,

you don't want a tracker. you want a glitter bomb!

(half serious; and I see where you're coming from)

teslas are a target in the bay area and there's a lot of class warfare that people feel about teslas. the bay area can be cruel to them. and there's not a thing we can do about it, which is really the sad part.

get insurance, don't get too attached to your specific model and for me, I try not to customize too much (last time I did a very custom job, thieves ruined it and it changed my whole outlook on cars).