TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Grade A overstock solar modules $0.50/w

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by nwdiver, Jan 31, 2016.

1. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I certainly won't hold you to their promotion, but have you any sense of how reputable that site is? I have a neighbor in AK who is looking to put up a 16kW system and I've told him I'll look out for a source of panels.

2. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I've ordered from these guys 3 times in the past.... they're definitely reputable. Their customer service can be a bit of a pain (it helps if you speak Spanish)... but it sounds like they're actively working to improve that.

3. miamibeacher

miamibeacher Member

I haven't worked with them, but their old office is 100 yards from my home. They installed three EV level 2 chargers at that building. Very EV friendly.

4. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I want solar on my roof but I need a lot more education. It seems I can either throw extra money at an installer who knows what's needed and how to walk the permitting walk (HOA & City & Grid Provider), or figure it out enough to order pieces and contract (or beg) the labor for less.
    I do know the difference between Micro-Inverters and Optimizers, and how to build in capability for a future bank of batteries, but OTOH I don't even know what (Panels) "Grade A, Grade B, Grade C" mean. Or what good rails & layout look like.

5. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

@nwdiver, do I see a detailed 'How To' e-book being added to your list of achievements?? I'd add a winky emoticon to that, but I'm partially serious... you have some good knowledge that could be passed far and wide, without having to put you up on the roof.

6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I am working on a presentation to explain solar to people in an effort to help a local installer drum up some business here in the oil patch. The drop in the price of oil is creating a lot of idle skilled labour in West Texas... I'm going to try to capitalize on that.

IMO while solar has grown A LOT in the last few years and the cost of the equipment has fallen significantly.... Residential Solar still hasn't quite exited the 'valley of death' on the adoption curve in the US. The equipment side has.... but not the installation side. Charging $5k to install a 5kW system is absolutely insane. Installers need to focus more on volume and less on margins.