Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grand Canyon south loop. It will be a stretch for this lead foot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FA86641C-08B7-4604-8AFA-B995AD8693A4.jpeg

MX100D. Starting out at the Hilton Garden Inn in Flagstaff this morning 16 Jun with 100% charge and going to the Grand Canyon from the east to avoid the lines at the main gate and take in the views from the 23 mile East West stretch to Grand Canyon Village. Should be a no stress 200 mile loop, but that range would normally pose problems for this heavy footed driver. Will it be safe to make it completely around the loop maintaining 65mph? Elevation changes and tourist stop and go traffic? Has anyone done this trek? Will try to get a hookup at El Tovar Hotel in the village if it is open.

Last edited:
I did the North Rim recently and I ended up have so much charge I was able to get thru Zion too. I did start the day with a full charge at the Cliff Dweller's Hotel, but the Tesla trips page showed I would not be able to make it to St. George and insisted I go back to the Page SC to charge after visiting North Rim. I think their app is just for spitballing where you can go.

I did have Plug Share at the ready to find a place to charge if something bad had happened. Glad I had the LR Model 3, almost as good as your car.

-Randy

Reactions: Jaywlker
Maybe not worth it in this case but for other peoples info, you can also charge at the trailer village RV park in the national park. There is a shuttle to get around everywhere. You can charge all day for $10. I did that with my MS60 and had enough to get back to Phoenix with just a single stop at Cordes Lakes.

I haven’t done this loop but last summer we did come from Tuba City through the east entrance to the village and then down to Flagstaff. While in Grand Canyon Village I charged at the El Tovar for a few hours while we had lunch and walked around the village. It was no problem to charge, all I did was stop by the front desk to let them know my car was there.

Just to pass on some observations after completing the Grand Canyon loop. Drove a total of 218.8 miles with a bunch of side excursions (23-30 miles off the beaten path) and expended 71.2 kWh energy. I would probably make this same trip in a MX75D without the side trips. I must admit I had some range anxiety going in... hopefully Tesla installs a Supercharger Station in Tusayan someday.

I was also prepared to use the 14-50 outlet at the El Tovar hotel while we ate lunch but the parked ICE cars would have made it a tough squeeze. I would have double parked or came in perpendicular to the opening if I had to plug in.

Great loop around the Grand Canyon and will do it again soon! Finished up the weekend with a drive through Sedona on the way back to San Diego. Ready to do it again!

72A6D3E6-9FBD-4FC9-B0BA-7A34FCB50517.jpeg
5AFDC843-2B12-42E8-A49D-9F84C8D102DF.jpeg
54D8336E-2C02-4479-BB9F-3EF0722B87BB.jpeg
D343E8A1-D875-43C9-84B4-93082C0448E2.jpeg

You're going to have some substantial elevation changes on this route. I made a trek through Grand Canyon 2 years ago, but I took a different route. I ended up charging at our hotel in Tusyan (HPWC) and then grabbed about 90 minutes at an RV park in Tuba City next to the Navajo museum on our way to Mesa Verde.

I went to Tuba City High School! Can’t wait to get my M3 touring the ole stompin’ grounds!