TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Grand Canyon south loop. It will be a stretch for this lead foot.

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by Axtrader, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

#1 Axtrader, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    FA86641C-08B7-4604-8AFA-B995AD8693A4.jpeg
    MX100D. Starting out at the Hilton Garden Inn in Flagstaff this morning 16 Jun with 100% charge and going to the Grand Canyon from the east to avoid the lines at the main gate and take in the views from the 23 mile East West stretch to Grand Canyon Village. Should be a no stress 200 mile loop, but that range would normally pose problems for this heavy footed driver. Will it be safe to make it completely around the loop maintaining 65mph? Elevation changes and tourist stop and go traffic? Has anyone done this trek? Will try to get a hookup at El Tovar Hotel in the village if it is open.

• Informative x 1
  2. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Software Engineer

You're going to have some substantial elevation changes on this route. I made a trek through Grand Canyon 2 years ago, but I took a different route. I ended up charging at our hotel in Tusyan (HPWC) and then grabbed about 90 minutes at an RV park in Tuba City next to the Navajo museum on our way to Mesa Verde.

• Informative x 1
  3. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

#3 tmoz, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    What does EVtripplanner say?
    When I plug it in, you only use ~60 KWh - looks fine.

• Like x 1
  4. pdxgibby

Ha. I just checked it out too. They don't have a Model X 100D, but I used a Model S 90D as an example. They claim 163 rated miles used on this route.

• Like x 1
  5. pdxgibby

evtripplanner claims 148-155RM used if you take 180 from Flagstaff to Valle (vice versa) instead of going down to Williams.

• Like x 1
  6. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

Thanks for the quick replies! Has anyone asked/paid the Best Western in Tusayan for a charge without being a hotel patron?

7. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

Not me.
    But with a 100D, there should be no sweat. If you start getting range anxiety, you can always keep it under 65 mph. I'd try it any day with a S 90D.

• Like x 1
  8. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

I did the North Rim recently and I ended up have so much charge I was able to get thru Zion too. I did start the day with a full charge at the Cliff Dweller's Hotel, but the Tesla trips page showed I would not be able to make it to St. George and insisted I go back to the Page SC to charge after visiting North Rim. I think their app is just for spitballing where you can go.

I did have Plug Share at the ready to find a place to charge if something bad had happened. Glad I had the LR Model 3, almost as good as your car.

-Randy

• Like x 1
  9. Lump

Lump Active Member

On your return leg take 180, saves some miles & a better drive, I did it in my MS 85 with a heavy foot & used under190 RM's.

• Like x 1
  10. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

180 is a good recommendation, but either way you'll be fine.

• Like x 1
  11. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

Both 180 and 64/I40 are scenic with their own beauty. If you pass through williams you will have to make time for the Pine Country Restaurant which boasts the best pies ever!
    Best Pies Ever! - Review of Pine Country Restaurant, Williams, AZ - TripAdvisor

12. AZGirl

AZGirl Member

Try abetterrouteplanner.com

It takes into account elevations, etc. and let’s you put in a variety of variants (temp, etc). We’ve been impressed with it.

13. yngwiescruggs

yngwiescruggs Member

Maybe not worth it in this case but for other peoples info, you can also charge at the trailer village RV park in the national park. There is a shuttle to get around everywhere. You can charge all day for $10. I did that with my MS60 and had enough to get back to Phoenix with just a single stop at Cordes Lakes.

14. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

#14 NeverFollow, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Certainly a wise decision. You will avoid at least a one hour waiting line.

Try arriving at the Desert View Watchtower before sunrise

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. MarkoC

MarkoC Member

I haven’t done this loop but last summer we did come from Tuba City through the east entrance to the village and then down to Flagstaff. While in Grand Canyon Village I charged at the El Tovar for a few hours while we had lunch and walked around the village. It was no problem to charge, all I did was stop by the front desk to let them know my car was there.

16. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

Just to pass on some observations after completing the Grand Canyon loop. Drove a total of 218.8 miles with a bunch of side excursions (23-30 miles off the beaten path) and expended 71.2 kWh energy. I would probably make this same trip in a MX75D without the side trips. I must admit I had some range anxiety going in... hopefully Tesla installs a Supercharger Station in Tusayan someday.

I was also prepared to use the 14-50 outlet at the El Tovar hotel while we ate lunch but the parked ICE cars would have made it a tough squeeze. I would have double parked or came in perpendicular to the opening if I had to plug in.

Great loop around the Grand Canyon and will do it again soon! Finished up the weekend with a drive through Sedona on the way back to San Diego. Ready to do it again!

72A6D3E6-9FBD-4FC9-B0BA-7A34FCB50517.jpeg 5AFDC843-2B12-42E8-A49D-9F84C8D102DF.jpeg 54D8336E-2C02-4479-BB9F-3EF0722B87BB.jpeg D343E8A1-D875-43C9-84B4-93082C0448E2.jpeg

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

Wow - lots of luck with that plug.